Old 12-19-2019, 02:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Portland
Vessel Name: Hot Tuna
Vessel Model: 2002 American Tug 23 #24
New guy from Portland, OR

HI,
I'm new to this forum. Based in Portland, OR, I have cruised the Great Pacific Northwest for the last 20 years. Most of that time I cruised on my 53' Navigator 'Hot Tuna' extensively between the San Juans and the Broughtons. Then I decided to downsize to my current ride, a lightening fast Striper 2901 with twin 250 Yamahas. Not exactly a trawler....but a fun interim boat. I trailer it to Swantown in Olympia, then spend a month or so every July and run up from there.

I'm here to research my next boat. I'm favoring some sort of tug-style single engine vessel (Nordic, American, etc) that fits my TBD budget. I cruise with my wife Michelle and an occasional grandkid.
See you on the water!
Pete
Pdxstriper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 02:27 PM   #2
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
Welcome Pete, I too had a boat similar to your Striper, an Aquasport. It was a great ride but in retirement we switched to a single engine trawler for 6 years and then to our current boat totally for the creature comforts. We still use it like a trawler however as I, more than the Admiral, am content with 7 to 8 knots. Enjoy the forum and hunt for a new boat.
Old 12-19-2019, 03:47 PM   #3
Guru

City: Duvall, Wa. USA
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
Were you in the Broughtons last Summer? We might have met you.
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 04:02 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by porman View Post
Were you in the Broughtons last Summer? We might have met you.
Yes late July we were went Lagoon Cove to Echo Bay for 5 days then Sullivan Bay then Port McNeill. Then south to Desolation then towards home.

Your boat looks familiar. Where you perhaps on the docks at Lagoon?

Pete
Old 12-19-2019, 04:04 PM   #5
Guru

Yes, Lagoon Cove. I thought I remembered talking to you.
Old 12-19-2019, 04:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Quote:
Yes, Lagoon Cove. I thought I remembered talking to you.
Very cool. We'll be heading that way again in a few short months. Plans not set yet but do have a family get together in Otter Bay in July. So we'll head further north after that in mid-July. Hope to see you up there.
Old 12-19-2019, 04:26 PM   #7
Guru

We spent the last two Summers in the Broughtons. This year we're going to stick closer to home and hang out with our friends. If you stop anywhere near Seattle let us know and maybe we can get together.
Old 12-19-2019, 04:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Quote:
We spent the last two Summers in the Broughtons. This year we're going to stick closer to home and hang out with our friends. If you stop anywhere near Seattle let us know and maybe we can get together.
Will do. We launch in Olympia so we'll be passing by your way.
Old 12-19-2019, 05:24 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 06:09 PM   #10

City: Snohomish
Vessel Name: Toki
Vessel Model: Ranger 27
Welcome aboard! We recently bought our Ranger 27. As you do your tug shopping, I'd be happy to share some pluses and minuses of the Ranger with you.
Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 07:26 PM   #11
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Pete, welcome to TF. Nice boat y'all got there. If you want to have some fun cruising before you head north, trailer it up here to the Tri Cities. Launch it here then cruise/fish this area and up the Snake.

If you're a club member you'll have free reciprocal moorage at our club (Clover Island YC) and access to low price fuel and fun times. If not a club member there's a nice marina that's pretty cheap and has fuel available. There's also a great launch ramp right at the island and lots of place for free storage of your truck and trailer while you're out playing on the water.
Old 12-20-2019, 02:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
Pete, welcome to TF. Nice boat y'all got there. If you want to have some fun cruising before you head north, trailer it up here to the Tri Cities. Launch it here then cruise/fish this area and up the Snake.

If you're a club member you'll have free reciprocal moorage at our club (Clover Island YC) and access to low price fuel and fun times. If not a club member there's a nice marina that's pretty cheap and has fuel available. There's also a great launch ramp right at the island and lots of place for free storage of your truck and trailer while you're out playing on the water.
Hi Mike and Tina,

Hey thanks for the offer. We just may do that some time... if I can ever drag myself away from the Puget Sound area. Yes I am a member of Columbia River Yacht Club (CRYC) and I believe we have a reciprocal with you guys. I know last year a bunch of our guys made it up your way for the races. Good to know that we are still welcome

Pete and Michelle
Old 12-20-2019, 09:13 AM   #13
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Your "Striper" is definitely not a trawler. But there is SOOO much to be said in favor of a trailerable boat that it will probably be my next (and probably last) boat.

Welcome Aboard,

the other pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 11:17 AM   #14
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Hi Pete. Welcome. I was also at Lagoon Cove too. Busted up my ribs there.

We are at our winter dock in Fisher Slough, Longview WA.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 11:25 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Meisinger View Post
Your "Striper" is definitely not a trawler. But there is SOOO much to be said in favor of a trailerable boat that it will probably be my next (and probably last) boat.

Welcome Aboard,

the other pete

Thanks. Yeah she may have tight accommodations but she sure is fast. The boat planes at about 23 knots so fuel burn below that is atrocious. After cruising these waters for years at 12-15 knots I must say I’m having fun running at 28-30 knots. But I’m here to find my next boat, a trawler in the 35-40ft range. But I got some other needs so I’m in this boat at least one more season. It’s like camping but I’m having a blast.
Pete
Old 12-20-2019, 11:38 AM   #16
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdxstriper View Post
Hi Mike and Tina,

Hey thanks for the offer. We just may do that some time... if I can ever drag myself away from the Puget Sound area. Yes I am a member of Columbia River Yacht Club (CRYC) and I believe we have a reciprocal with you guys. I know last year a bunch of our guys made it up your way for the races. Good to know that we are still welcome

Pete and Michelle
Pete,
CRYC is one of my favorite stops when we go to and from PDX. I get a kick out of walking up the hill from the docks and seeing the marker that shows the high water mark from the floods a few years back.

Yes, we still do have an active reciprocal moorage agreement with CRYC so you're welcome to stay at our docks and get fuel from our pumps. I always fuel up at CRYC when I head down your direction.

If you find yourself headed our direction, drop me a PM ahead of time with any questions.
Old 12-20-2019, 11:50 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
Pete,
CRYC is one of my favorite stops when we go to and from PDX. I get a kick out of walking up the hill from the docks and seeing the marker that shows the high water mark from the floods a few years back.

Yes, we still do have an active reciprocal moorage agreement with CRYC so you're welcome to stay at our docks and get fuel from our pumps. I always fuel up at CRYC when I head down your direction.

If you find yourself headed our direction, drop me a PM ahead of time with any questions.
Thanks. Will do. Ping me if you are heading our way as well. Try for a Thursday which is men’s night dinner. Usually involves red meat and alcohol.
Old 12-20-2019, 11:55 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Hi Pete. Welcome. I was also at Lagoon Cove too. Busted up my ribs there.

We are at our winter dock in Fisher Slough, Longview WA.
Broken ribs? Ouch! Lagoon is pretty desolate. What did you do for medical help? Run to Port McNeill or ?
Old 12-20-2019, 04:02 PM   #19
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Broken ribs? Ouch! Lagoon is pretty desolate. What did you do for medical help? Run to Port McNeill or ?
Not much. More bruised than broke I believe, but the Admiral thought differently. Wrapped them and took lots of pain meds.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 09:45 PM   #20
Guru

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: 1997 4800 Navigator
Quote:
Thanks. Will do. Ping me if you are heading our way as well. Try for a Thursday which is men’s night dinner. Usually involves red meat and alcohol.
My favorite, bacon! I remember having some hot and sweet bacon last time I was a guest at CRYC. Oh so good and had way too much of it if there is such a thing.
“Try something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and that’s what’s driving me on here.” Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 – 24 January 2016) Explorer
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote