Cuddles 30 restoration - Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kate

Vessel Name
Providence
Vessel Make
Cuddles 30 Flybridge
Hi Forum - I have recently purchased a Cuddles 30 Flybridge motor boat in Brisbane, Australia. I have had the boat surveyed to confirm its structural integrity, however it is an unfinished project and the engine has been removed. The boat will probably end up being kept on either Pittwater or Lake Macquarie, and I am seeking a shipwright/boatyard on the east coast of Australia to perform a full restoration. I’m happy to transport the boat to the right facility. Any recommendations? Thank you!

Hi, and welcome to the forum Kate. I used to own for a time a Cuddles (Resort) 35, and know the 30' very well. They are great boats, and being all fibreglass, with virtually no timber in the construction, it should be the basis of a really worthwhile restoration. You should not encounter any of the issues most of us who bought Taiwanese type trawlers did, as a result of leaking teak decks and windows damaging internal linings and other structures, and rusting out fuel tanks, etc.

I doubt there is any other 30 footer out there as roomy. I know folk found it hard to believe we could literally sleep 10 on our Cuddles 35, and three of those were doubles and it had an ensuite. How..? easy. 4 in bunks for'd cabin, 2 each side, one above the other, main double with ensuite to port of that. Large main BR/head to stb'd of that. The dinette made into another double, and there was a double down in a cunning cabin under the raised dinette, accessed by a small stairway behind the dinette. I wish in some ways I'd kept that boat, but was not able to at the time. It also needed a new engine, but that would have been cheap compared to what I later paid refurbishing a 36' Clipper (CHB)34, although we did love the Clipper. The Cuddles 30 only lacks the ensuite and the double down under from memory..?

Sorry can't help re recommendations about shipwrights down your way, but there are plenty all over the country really, being such a maritime nation, so finding one should not be hard. Probably best to choose one nearest to where you plan to cruise I would think. :flowers:

Welcome aboard. How about some photos of your new baby.

Welcome aboard Kate.
In Sydney,and the Hawkesbury/Pittwater region, shipwrights are busier than a one armed cab driver with an unmentionable itch. You might have better prospects in Qld on the Gold Coast where there seem to be a lot of shipwrights.
I gather you need to source and fit an engine. I`ve seen Cuddles advertised with engines as small as 30hp, a friend with a Resort 35 had a ? 65 hp Volvo, fortunately really a Perkins.
There is someone called Dave at Scarborough in northern NSW who advertises in Afloat magazine he does full timber boat restorations, might be worth enquiring.
Another is Ryan Scriven,a young shipwright who recently moved into a Marina on Lake Macquarie. Competent, efficient,and pleasant, happy to have him work on my boat, I`ll PM (Private Message)his phone number.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom