Crossing to the dark side

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bricky

Daryl is my name. Along with my wife Kerren we live about 90km south of Adelaide.
Five years ago we bought a Seawind 1000 sailing cat....thought we would like to sail.
So after a two day lesson and buying our boat in Sydney we set sail For Coffin Bay SA, where we lived at the time.
We had never sailed before.
Had a great time exploring the local area on the Eyre Peninsula, but motored a lot of the time and realised we are and probably never will be "sailors".
Hence the decision to sell the Seawind and buy a trawler of some sort.
We have been looking at something around the 34-40ft mark.
Island Gypsy, Clipper or something similar.
Anyway just thought I would say hi and have just joined, have a lot of reading and learning ahead.
Cheers
Daryl & Kerren

Welcome aboard:thumb:

You'll find a lot of great information here, and an eclectic mix of people and knowledge.

I love the cats, be they sail or power, so that would have been a difficult vessel to part with.

At the same time, you'll enjoy the trawler I'm sure, with a bit more comfort and interior room.

Enjoy:dance:

OD

Welcome to the forum! Enjoy the search for your new boat.

Ted

Welcome and good luck with your search. We looked at a lot of boats before we bought. Looking is fun, owning is better!

Welcome home, this will only hurt for a minute.

Then you can go 7+k in any direction regardless of the wind, and no pulling strings.

Welcome Bricky!

Nice to have another croweater on here. Best of luck with the trawler search.

I still have a foot on both sides of the fence with my motorsailer. We often cruise down and visit my brother-in-law in Second Valley, spending the night anchored out in the bay.

Nice spot to be based for cruising.

I love to hear this type of stories.
Welcome aboard Daryl & Kerren. May the force by with you to guide you in the boat procurement process. Then, be happy and enjoy the ride!

Best Wishes

We have been looking at something around the 34-40ft mark.
Island Gypsy, Clipper or something similar.

Hey Daryl,

I'll keep an eye out locally for you. Have you narrowed down your preferences. (price range, single/twins, layout, etc)

There isn't a huge amount to choose from here in SA; you may have to truck something in from interstate.

Here's an older IG36 that seems ok, although the teak decks may need replacing.

Used 1978 ISLAND GYPSY 36 TRAWLER MOTOR YACHT Boat For Sale - boatpoint.com.au

Welcome aboard Daryl and Kerren. That was a fearless shakedown delivery voyage!
Good luck with your search. If you have IG questions, there are people me included, who can help.
Sailissa has a single, almost all IG 36s have twins. I think she had work done at Gonsalves Boatshed, Palm Beach. There is another, with twins, for sale at Brooklyn NSW, round the same price, through Mainsales Brokerage, I think on Yachts & Boats for Sale in Australia & New Zealand | Yachthub.
Happy hunting.

Thanks for the welcome.
We are yet to sell our Seawind....hopefully soon.
Have noticed both Island Gypsy 36 mentioned and am keeping an eye on all sites.
Can't do anything till ours is sold which is not all bad, give me time to research.
Prefer 2 engines and one cabin layout as there is only two of us.
Cheers

Hi Bricky

I must have looked ay 10 Gypsys in the last 18 months and all were rubbish .The decks on 3 were delaminating from the hull but the boat looked great .

If you fancy any in Sydney, Gippsland ,Gold Coast give me PM as I have mostlikley looked at them the 3 in Pittwater for sale are total rubbish asking $80/$90 k worth $20 with $80k of work needed

Thanks, will do.
Have noticed a Polaris which looks ok although I must admit I have never heard of them.

Not sure how to attach a link.
Not really a trawler but looks ok.
On Boatsales Polaris 35 flybridge.

All that rusty water that has dryed out on the starboard motor could be a problem These motors like a big drink but it dose looks like a nice boat .

Welcome

to TF and your new adventure

Some IG36 Europas have a generous single fwd cabin, others have a second cabin. In ours, the shower has been separated from the head, by a PO. I call it "the selfish couple`s fit out".
IG decks are an issue. I had mine fully redone (so did Andy G), it costs, if it`s not done it will ruin the boat. I think the IG36 at Brooklyn is new to market
The Polaris has a tight ER. They come in sedan and sundeck/aft cabin models. Often with Perkins, some have singles.

I like the Clipper 40. Some are priced down at 300K now. Usually a single plus thrusters both ends, some have twins. I`d like one but its really just a modern update of my boat.
Think about Integrity too, I spotted a 2yo 380 @ $399000, neat boat, and there are others 35ft and up, sub 300K. Of course an older IG is going to be a lot less, and you probably get Ford Lehmans, which is a plus imo.

Why not dismast the Cat and just power around? Cheap alternative. You already own it. I imagine the cabin is all you want. And the separate berths are great for guests. Yours is over there, they are across the hall. There seems to be two variants, one with a hard shell cabin, and one with isinglass. Which do you have? If you have the hard shell, how about put an isinglass wrap around the back. That way you can try out the trawler concept on the cheap.

Last edited:
Why not dismast the Cat and just power around? Cheap alternative. You already own it. I imagine the cabin is all you want. And the separate berths are great for guests. Yours is over there, they are across the hall. There seems to be two variants, one with a hard shell cabin, and one with isinglass. Which do you have? If you have the hard shell, how about put an isinglass wrap around the back. That way you can try out the trawler concept on the cheap.

Gotta admit this is my first thought too. By all means, spend your money any way you wish Lord knows we'll all help you do that. Welcome to the forum.

If you're considering a semi-displacement boat with a bit more speed, this seems to have the options you have mentioned. An aft cabin; which has its +'s and -'s.
Seems to be priced ok, and doesn't have the teak decks to worry about.

Used Offshore Offshore 38 Aft Cabin Cruiser for Sale | Boats For Sale | Yachthub

Hi,don't forget boats like the Defever 43 and 44 Offshore.
A 43 was our first trawler style boat and was a great vessel.
Twin engine,walk in engine room,island queen master etc.
Very popular for good reasons.A lot of room for the length.
Nice deep forefoot make for a good ride.
Good luck in your search.We're ex stick and rag types too.

Attachments

• 43'-DeFever-LOON_EW.jpg
    43'-DeFever-LOON_EW.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 75
Some good thoughts....although some out of my price range......bricky, not a plumber.??
Hope to sell ours and pocket a few bucks.
Thought about keeping ours but the problem to me with the Seawind is that it is designed for northern waters here in Oz.
A bit cold down here in winter with the open cockpit.
As far as what we would like, would prefer not to have an aft cabin but have a deck to fish from.
Thank for the help.

Welcome y’all

Hi Bricky.
I own a Polaris 35 on Sydney Harbour. Have had her for nearly 8 years. There are usually 2 of us aboard but sometimes the grand-kids and their parents. Plenty of room. When looking for our boat my wife wanted a galley down and a walk around bed. However if stairs are an issue for you then this maybe a deal breaker as there are steps up from the swim platform to board, steps down to the salon, steps down to the galley and steps down to the aft stateroom. For us this adds interest to the boat with multiple areas to relax without the feeling of being on top of each other. Just recently we spent 5 weeks cruising the Pittwater and got off the boat once only. Plenty of storage for provisions and plenty of room to move around. Twin Perkins with 2000hrs bullet proof. If you have any questions will be happy to answer them Pm me if you wish. John

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom