Old 11-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: York River, VA
Vessel Name: Big Fish
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Baker, 2 to 1 that your boat was in the batch that was all vinylester resin.
What is the history of Mainship resins? My boat-building buddy wrote me a lengthy note about all of the various resins. I know it is important, but it makes my eyes glaze over. I have attached a photo of another P30 that is on the market and I believe you can see the blisters, right? Is blistering a known Mainship issue? Are there certain "good years" or "bad years"?
Attached Thumbnails
4436901_20130815105214553_1_XLARGE.jpg  
JackD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:45 PM   #22
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackD View Post
What is the history of Mainship resins?
Don't know the history of their resins, but I do know this. When I took delivery of my 2004 34' Pilot in St. Augustine, I asked that the boat be taken over to St. Augustine Marine for an epoxy barrier coat before painting the bottom. I was told that it would not be necessary as the entire boat was built with vinylester resins.

Mainships were built in Midway, GA. It seems the GA dept of environment was going to shut the plant down because of emissions from polyester resins. It was expensive to do, but for a period of several months (until proper equipment was installed} they had to use vinylester resins. These are much more resistant to blistering. Many quality manufacturers use them in the outer first couple of layers of bottoms, but not the whole boat. My Sabre was built this way. My Blackfin has an epoxy barrier coat.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #23
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Don't know the history of their resins, but I do know this. When I took delivery of my 2004 34' Pilot in St. Augustine, I asked that the boat be taken over to St. Augustine Marine for an epoxy barrier coat before painting the bottom. I was told that it would not be necessary as the entire boat was built with vinylester resins.

Mainships were built in Midway, GA. It seems the GA dept of environment was going to shut the plant down because of emissions from polyester resins. It was expensive to do, but for a period of several months (until proper equipment was installed} they had to use vinylester resins. These are much more resistant to blistering. Many quality manufacturers use them in the outer first couple of layers of bottoms, but not the whole boat. My Sabre was built this way. My Blackfin has an epoxy barrier coat.
Nordhavn hull lamination schedule calls for "vinylester resin to be used in the first laminations". That explains why

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:32 PM   #24
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Vinylester resins are more expensive, and better. This is not a new finding. Mainship flirted with economic disaster during the mid 2000s before going belly up. Cost containment and lower build quality go hand in hand whether boats, cars, houses or chart plotters. But, I do find 2 buck Chuck quite acceptable as does Consumer Reports.

Many lesser resins are just fine for trailer boats and rack storage. Look for a Pilot 30 that has been rack stored and owned by a smart skipper and you may have the right vessel for you. Don't settle for a problem vessel, it will not get better.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:28 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post

Many lesser resins are just fine for trailer boats and rack storage. Look for a Pilot 30 that has been rack stored and owned by a smart skipper and you may have the right vessel for you. Don't settle for a problem vessel, it will not get better.
. . . . . .or look for a boat with no blisters and an epoxy barrier coat on the bottom. My Blackfin is a 1978 model with no blisters. If you find one with minor blistering, fix them and then an epoxy barrier coat.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:52 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
As I previously wrote...I owned a P30 but were I to do it again, I'd get the same age P34. More room and speed & not nearly as "tender." (Some came with twins, too!)
Seahorse and Moonstruck concur that they wish they had bought a P34 instead of the P30. Can you expand upon that? I'd like the extra space and berths, but those extra 4 ft nearly doubles the price. I actually prefer a single engine, from a maintenance perspective. Plus the 34 will require a larger slip, higher insurance, transient dockage, etc.
’02 Mainship Pilot 34
Old 11-09-2013, 05:45 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Seahorse and Moonstruck concur that they wish they had bought a P34 instead of the P30. Can you expand upon that? I'd like the extra space and berths, but those extra 4 ft nearly doubles the price. I actually prefer a single engine, from a maintenance perspective. Plus the 34 will require a larger slip, higher insurance, transient dockage, etc.
There is nothing wrong with the P30. It is a great little boat that cruises economically. The P 34 with it wider beam and extra weight just has a more big boat feel. If kids or occasional overnight guests are involved, the benches on the helm deck can be pressed into service. The footwells under the front seats make the bunks long enough for even an adult.

My 34 was a hardtop. A 16,000 btu reverse cycle heat/air cond unit was added under the port bench. It had ducts to both the pilot and navigators seats. It absolutely increased the usable living space. It would cruise at 16 knots getting almost 2 statute mpg. It had good ventilation and storage. I also had them install the first 5 kw generator the factory had done. It was a sweet boat that did everything we asked of it.

I almost forgot to add that the front state room had a hard wall and door that made it private.

Here is a photo by her next owner, Bill Jacobs who is a member here.

Old 11-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Quote:
It would cruise at 16 knots getting almost 2 statute mpg.
So that works out to about 9 GPH? I was hoping for more like 5-6 GPH.
’02 Mainship Pilot 34
Old 11-17-2013, 11:00 PM   #29
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
So that works out to about 9 GPH? I was hoping for more like 5-6 GPH.
If you get a P30 with a 4 banger that is exactly what you'll get. The 6 is around 8gph.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:16 PM   #30
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Ward View Post
......can blisters be cured with out bringing a ship out of the water?
No, it must be on dry land so you can grind them out and fill. Normally it is no big deal to repair them as long as they are not large and deep. If you have what looks like chicken pox, it will be quite time consuming.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:33 AM   #31
Veteran Member

City: Snead Island, Fla.
I am looking at a 34 now, with twins...... I would need to put in a gen set and a second air for the helm area. This boat has a completely enclosed helm area, hard top and aft bulkhead.

Any reason you chose the port side bench for the cockpit air and not the starboard or maybe a split unit using the engine room and say, the starboard bench? I spent an hour or more with a service guy looking at how the 2nd AC might get installed.....
Old 12-18-2013, 08:48 AM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
I am looking at a 34 now, with twins...... I would need to put in a gen set and a second air for the helm area. This boat has a completely enclosed helm area, hard top and aft bulkhead.

Any reason you chose the port side bench for the cockpit air and not the starboard or maybe a split unit using the engine room and say, the starboard bench? I spent an hour or more with a service guy looking at how the 2nd AC might get installed.....
Sharkey, I added a 16,000 btuh reverse cycle unit on the helm deck of a Pilot 34. We put it under the port side bench. We got a unit that the blower motor tucked in instead of protruding out. A little more expensive, but a better unit. A 16,000 was probably a little overkill, but a 10 would be a little small. Maybe a 12 would work. We put ducts to the sides of the helm and navigator seats plus one other. It really added to the living space. We had a 5 kw gen that would pull it all.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:16 AM   #33
Veteran Member

City: Snead Island, Fla.
I am waiting on quotes now (gen set, AC, auto pilot, radar,) to see if I am even going to make an offer on this boat. I really like the enclosed helm, aft bulkhead and all..... There is a new AC unit that is a 16 and will fit in the same location you installed it on your 34.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #34
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
I am waiting on quotes now (gen set, AC, auto pilot, radar,) to see if I am even going to make an offer on this boat. I really like the enclosed helm, aft bulkhead and all..... There is a new AC unit that is a 16 and will fit in the same location you installed it on your 34.
You best be sitting down when that quote comes in. If I had to guess....at least $20k and I think I might be on the low end....
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 01:46 PM   #35
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
There's a good article in the new (January) issue of Power & Motoryacht about a fellow who customized, and seriously updated a old Mainship 34.

Yacht Broker/Owner since 1984, Florida License #32
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:16 PM   #36
Veteran Member

FYI, there is a new AC unit for sale on eBay
Original equip Mainship marine air conditioning 16000 BTU 115V w/ controls
’02 Mainship Pilot 34
Old 12-21-2013, 09:00 PM   #37

City: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Vessel Name: Gone Coastal
Vessel Model: 2005 34' Mainship Trawler
Jack... I sure like my 34T, single 370 Yanmar. My survey revealed no serious flaws, and for the 2 of us, interior room is adequate. Good luck with your search, and please post pics along the way.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:02 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Still searching! ;-)
’02 Mainship Pilot 34

Tags
mainship, pilot 30