Old 09-08-2022, 04:27 PM   #21
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkgc View Post
Hey I'm old school. my real friends called me wheels when I got out of hospital after 88 days. Now they call me limp.

It's real no problem with me, please speak your mind.

Survey start 7:30 am tomorrow.
If sale proceeds the Panama City to Pensacola trip should start on 9/16.
I am going out with a dive boat to get some more seat time on a twin screw vessel.

Again thank you all.

Tim
First, a soft apology. My comments were a bit too harsh. I think there are some obvious challenges here, but I gotta believe this would be one of the easier hurdles you've had to clear. But I do think you need to find the right teacher who can spend time with you to really understand the pressure points of docking and help you develop Plan B if needed. If I recall correctly, Tristan Jones, a 1970s era single handed cruiser lost both legs late in life and continued sailing, though with line handlers and such as Psneeld states.

Very little physical strength is needed to run a boat, but does require patience which I'm sure you have in abundance, as do older people. But sometimes when conditions are difficult, being able to move quickly is important, which could be a gap for you both. Knowing how to recognize these conditions and having a Plan B will make life easier.

Allow plenty of time for learning. Best success. And again, apologies.

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 04:35 PM   #22
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
I was recently in rough conditions for about 90 mins getting to my home slip. I was surprised how much my leg muscles felt like I had climbed a mountain that day. So although it doesn't take strength to run a boat, it can take some strength just holding on and bracing yourself agains the sea.
Old 09-08-2022, 06:03 PM   #23
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
I was recently in rough conditions for about 90 mins getting to my home slip. I was surprised how much my leg muscles felt like I had climbed a mountain that day. So although it doesn't take strength to run a boat, it can take some strength just holding on and bracing yourself agains the sea.
There are many ways to deal with disabilities, let the disabled worry about them as most of us have no clue.

I see many exhausted after a day's cruise where some are fresh and ready for anything.... experience is a great teacher and the OP said he was an experienced boater.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 07:59 PM   #24

City: Pensacola
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
My perspective is that 80 yo triple bypass survivor doesn't end well regardless. I applaud him at this point in his life to embrace a new adventure. He could play it safe and stay home on the couch for whatever time he has left, but is that living or just waiting to die? He may soon realize that cruising is harder than he imagined and he is in over his head, but better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

Awesome.
Tkgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 11:03 PM   #25

Ya I should have said earlier he is a retired Navy pilot and one of the few surviving Vietnam Vets I know.

He wants me to teach him how to fish he has never been into that stuff. At his age admirable to say the least.

This time of year the blue water comes close to shore in Pensacola. Black fin and Mahi as well as other game fish come in close. There is fall Cobra migration as well, they head east in the fall around 100 yards or so from the beach.

YouTube sleigh ride pensacola you'll see what I mean.

I have a spool of Andies 500 pound mono. I'm thinking of dragging a skirt about 50 yards back tied straight to a cleat. Time to go skiing.
I also have a very short roller tipped deep sea rod with a 6/0 electric reel should be fun.

In shore a popping cork and a silver dollar size pin fish will produce a Reds or Speckled Trout. We also have a pretty good Flounder migration this time of year, a jig head and a grub works well.

Before I got Necrotizing Fascalitis, we were fishing alot on my 18 foot Boston Whaler Outrage.
I had to sell my Whaler when I got out of the hospital, but I still have my MacGregor 26x with a very low hour 50 Yahama 4 stroke.

If any of you all come through Pensacola, PM me if nothing else. I'll give you a hot fishing tip consisting of where and how.

Tim
Old 09-09-2022, 12:53 PM   #26

[QUOTE=mvweebles;1121994]First, a soft apology. My comments were a bit too harsh.

I don't believe they were harsh.
Honestly no apology needed.

Picture 1 is the prospective buyer.
2,3 show bottom while out of the water today

Cheers
Tim
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1827.jpg   IMG_1828.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2022, 09:57 PM   #27

Vessel Name: Thataway
Vessel Model: C Dory 25, pilot house trailerable cruiser
I live in Pensacola, and have a number of hours on a Symbol 41 I owned for 4 years, very similar to the Heritage Nova 42 (one of which I considered). Incidentally I sold that because it was too big to take care of (not handle) when I was in my late 60's. Yes, the boat can go to the Bahamas on a good day--but they may wait weeks to get back. Also the boat should have a water maker and good generator for that type of cruising. How about stabilizers? At slow speed, these could make it to the Caribbean--certainly not an ideal boat however. I believe they have 500 gallons of diesel--maybe 450 usable, with some margin. If you could drop down to a slow enough speed to use 1/2 to one mile per gallon, then the "Thorny path" would be doable to the Caribbean. However not comfortable with beam seas a part of the way.. Also this boat is terrible for fishing. High freeboard--who is going to gaff the fish? Where from? Who is going to run the boat while one works the line, and another uses the gaff from the swim step, and no "Staples" to hang onto?)

I see several issues--who is going to run the boat once they have been :"Trained"? I advocate equal training for wives. If she does not do well with the hired captain then a special class for women only. (probably 2 days of captain would be better--the training for the owner-and one for the wife, -not the OP!)

These boats have high freeboard, and difficult to get onto floating docks from the "Sun Deck " aft or the side decks. Someone has go to the swim step. This puts them at risk of falling overboard especially if the boat is suddenly put into gear and they are not holding on. Also a steep ladder to the swim grid. The swim grid is not visible from the flying bridge helm.

First buy a set or 3 of Ear Tec duplex intercom sets. That will be the best $370 he spends. Spend the time with the teacher docking at real docks, not just milk jugs (although this is an excellent idea)

With two aboard, if anchoring, one will be on the bow, handling the anchor--and one handling the helm. Same for docking. Who is most capable. Also with the history (and having had two triple bypasses and still alive at age 86) there has to be someone to get the boat home if there is a fatal issue. That is why my wife is a very capable boat handler. She once had to get our 62' motor sailor 60 miles to a port when my leg was paralyzed due to a spinal injury and I was incapacitated.

Be sure the fuel tanks are OK--or have been replaced. This is a weak point in these boats. You have to remove the engines to get the tanks out--and also cut up some of the floor (unless you want to cut the side of the boat out). Figure about $20,000 for each tank replacement.

I know the gulf coast very well, and have plyed it for 30 years. The run from Panama City to Pensacola is a milk run in comparison to many other parts of the US coast line (or the Bahamas for that matter.). I have also done the entire eastern coast as well as the entire Western coast from Icy Straits AK to Mt. Desert Island Maine, with the exception of the Bay of Campeche. I have made 3 transits of the Panama Canal as skipper of my own boat, as well as a year+ in Central American and Mexico, as well as over 6 months in the Caribbean. The point is that small cruisers can do many of these runs, under certain circumstances. My boats all had ranges of close to 3000 miles under power alone. I would be reluctant to do that with a boat like the Nova unless it held in excess of 1000 gallons of fuel.

How well can you get up and down the straight ladder (safety issue)--I have known a number of very capable amputee boat owners, but one takes some time to learn all of the tricks of each boat. Just riding on a boat, does not make you an expert on handling.

I have 4 friends who are doing the "Great Loop". They all had had many years in 25' boats, but going to a 45' Californian (very similar to the Nova 42 with the aft sundeck). They have done over 3000 miles and spent over 6 months on the boat underway almost every day. They had 2 days of training before taking over the "new boat". They still prefer to anchor out, and take the dinghy ashore, rather than dock in some of the more challenging slips in marinas. I agree that the Heritage Nova 42 is a great boat for the Loop (if the air draft is less than 18 feet. (That might require that the Bimini and arch be lowered?? )

Send them to see me if they want to talk about going to far away lands--I am on upper Perdido bay off old Lillian Hwy.
thataway is offline   Reply With Quote