Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-23-2021, 03:05 AM   #1
hrk
Newbie
 
City: Washington
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 4
Smile Closing in on oursearch for new boat

We are a couple residing in washington DC. 60s. newbie - transitioning from sailing to boating. Until recently, we owned 40 Freedom for over twelve years and cruised between Cheasapeake bay and Penobscot bay in Maine. Most of last five years summer were spent down east Maine. As we got older, and wife got serious about retirement one day soon, we started thinking of transitioning to live-aboard life style. For living comfort and age issues, owning trawlers is where we are. We rented grand banks 46, few months ago and motored in San Juan islands -washington stage. Loved the experience, so we are now searching seriously for a boat. Our plans are to mostly stay on east coast, Maine to Florida and Bahamas in first year of being full-time cruiser but we do see ourselves, going to caribbean (we sailed there for quite a few years and love warm waters, different culture, food etc.) and some day cross panama canal and explore west coast too including Alaska. Being a newbie and having taken a decision to go for full displacement, new build of semi-custom boat, we look forward to advice from fellow trawlers on this forum on whole lot of issues as we embark on a new journey. Current home is washington DC.
hrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 03:19 AM   #2
TF Site Team
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 13,294
Welcome aboard and good luck with your search.
__________________
Boat Nut:
If you are one there is no explanation necessary.
If you arent one, there is no explanation possible.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 04:50 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
City: Ocean park
Vessel Name: Tug life
Vessel Model: Nordic tug 26
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 248
Three names George Bueller ,Diesel duck ,Seahorse marine Google those names you wont be sorry
Scooby5959 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 06:04 AM   #4
Enigma
 
RT Firefly's Avatar
 
City: Slicker?
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 14,931
Greetings,
Welcome aboard.
__________________
RTF
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 07:30 AM   #5
Veteran Member
 
City: Ft. Lauderdale
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 72
Welcome! Can you please provide additional information. What size range? Will you be traveling as a couple most of the time or will guests/family cruising be common? What is your time frame? What is your budget?
Judy at JWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 08:43 AM   #6
hrk
Newbie
 
City: Washington
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 4
We are looking at 50-60 feet. We saw some 50’s Kadey Krogen and Norhavn but think 60’ will suit us more. This would be our first and last boat. Will travel mostly as couple. Children are grown and not in to boating. Grand children and son/spouse may visit and spend some time on boat but we think 2 cabin layout is what we will go for. Our search had accelerated in past few months. And, itis currently leading us to KK or nordhavn. Time frame is - moving to full time living on boat in late 2023. Budget is not a big constraint for us, we simply want something that is comfortable, and solidly built but also suitable for couple. Advise I seek is going to be mostly on what to watch out for as embark on new boat building process.
hrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 09:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member
 
City: Ft. Lauderdale
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 72
Thanks for the additional information - all helpful. There are numerous manufacturers/yards where you can customize or custom build. I would recommend your hiring a (1) an attorney to review any build contracts (2) a project manager, someone particularly with experience in new builds (3) an independent consultant, a long-range cruiser expert to advise. If you are concerned about resale value, maybe consult with a broker. For example, a two-stateroom 60 footer might be harder to sell.
Judy at JWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 10:02 AM   #8
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 10,231
Depending on the manufacturer and model, late 2023 may not be possible. Which is more important, boat or time frame. Keep in mind, new boats of that size often have a lengthy commissioning / fixing problems period.

Ted
__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 10:02 AM   #9
Guru
 
hollywood8118's Avatar
 
City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,097
New build or used boat?
As new power folks when asked the same question in the past I would suggest a newer boat that was owned by a couple that extensively cruised the boat and were on top of its maintenance. The bugs should be already worked out and you wont go through the long learning curve figuring out what the boat needs. You may and will need need to replace worn equipment but the boat will already be set up and takes a lot of the guesswork out. Remember the age isnt important, how it was maintained is the key.
The big Nordhavns, Krogens, and selens are great boats.
Hollywood
hollywood8118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 10:34 AM   #10
Guru
 
mvweebles's Avatar
 
City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 2,979
Any chance you would do the Great Loop? Air draft matters. If you are prone to anchoring out vs marinas, dinghy size, stowage, and boarding access is important, especially if you have a pet.

Energy is an interesting topic - many 60 footers in your intended cruising grounds run their generator 24x7 (or close to it) due to large fridges, ice makers, and need for A/C due to lackluster natural ventilation and/or dehumidification.

Sounds like you enjoyed the GB46 you rented. Great boats but there are cautions for lower latitudes. Brightwork and teak decks carry enhanced maintenance. In my opinion, classic trunk style trawlers do not have great outdoor lounging space for areas with intense sun - only covered space is on flybridge which can feel a bit disconnected. I personally like well covered aft decks, being close to waterline is preferable (KK or N) than sundeck style where you're over an aft stateroom, but that's personal taste.

Stairs. Many trawlers have steep, long companionways. Something to think about. Not a lot of ways to mitigate, but some are worse than others.

Someone up-thread mentioned the Diesel Duck. Definitely a good idea as they are a fairly extreme example of an offshore capable powerboat. Cult like following especially for people who worry about Perfect Storm weather conditions. Personslly, way too many compromises for my tastes and I'm fairly comfortable traveling within three day weather windows so there is no upside to the compromises, but might strike you as a perfect example. Point being is looking at a DD would likely help you make some decisions either for or against.

Another good boat to look at yo help formulate likes/dislikes is the Defever 44. This is a real sleeper of a boat. On the surface, looks like a traditional Taiwan trawler. Far from it. One of the best engine rooms in its class, excellent range, and very nice layout- large interior for its size. It's a good example of a "sundeck" style boats where thr outdoor living space is above rhe aft stateroom so you can see if that suffices.

Stabilization is, in my opinion, a necessity. Simply not optional for open water passages. There are several options. Worthy of a several threads on its own.

Circling back to the Grand Banks, there is a couple with two children who are currently cruising the Caribbean. I think they're in their 4th or 5th year with their 1980s vintage GB42 classic. Previously they circumnavigated on a small sail catamaran, and also did extensive cruising on a 43 foot monohull. She's a great photographer, he's a great writer. You may want to visit Bumfuzzle.com to get a glimpse into their experiences.

Good luck and welcome to TF

Peter
__________________
M/V Weebles
1970 Willard 36 Sedan Trawler
Current Location: Ensenada MX
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 11:09 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
City: West coast
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 237
Seems to me like the KK and Nordhavn are very different boats. For your stated use I’d prefer the KK.

If you are able to justify the price, the Fleming is another great choice. Either the 55 or beamier 58. Three cabins. Minimal stairs. Nice covered aft deck. Beautiful workmanship. Easy egress to floating docks and if fixed with tidal changes using the exit on the Portuguese bridge. Wide covered side decks.

For teak cap rails they have a new synthetic called Burrwood which looks great. Wonderful support on both coasts by Burr or Hovey or Delta Marine.

Expensive but very good resale. New orders are out to 2024.

And though you wanted bigger, I’ve really liked the looks of the Helmsman for coastal cruising. Their biggest model looks quite nice. (My favorite though from the layout is their 38E which I think I could be quite happy with)
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 12:06 PM   #12
Guru
 
backinblue's Avatar
 
City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,813
I would also take a good look at the Helmsman for a new build. However, if my budget was truly unlimited, there may be better options. But I think there is a lot of value in what Helmsman offers for the price.
__________________
In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him. ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
backinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 01:54 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
City: Ocean park
Vessel Name: Tug life
Vessel Model: Nordic tug 26
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 248
UGG !!!!!! Helmsman Nice boat for a price ,Great trophy boat or dock queen you don’t care about fuel economy or range if spending a lot of time tied to the dock ,these are not trawlers As I would define a trawler the word trawler is more of a marketing term as it is very evident by the name of this platform ,basically doesn’t mean much .well I’m still Clinging to the notion of a true trawler . whatever floats your boat
Scooby5959 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 02:03 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
City: Ocean park
Vessel Name: Tug life
Vessel Model: Nordic tug 26
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 248
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Any chance you would do the Great Loop? Air draft matters. If you are prone to anchoring out vs marinas, dinghy size, stowage, and boarding access is important, especially if you have a pet.

Energy is an interesting topic - many 60 footers in your intended cruising grounds run their generator 24x7 (or close to it) due to large fridges, ice makers, and need for A/C due to lackluster natural ventilation and/or dehumidification.

Sounds like you enjoyed the GB46 you rented. Great boats but there are cautions for lower latitudes. Brightwork and teak decks carry enhanced maintenance. In my opinion, classic trunk style trawlers do not have great outdoor lounging space for areas with intense sun - only covered space is on flybridge which can feel a bit disconnected. I personally like well covered aft decks, being close to waterline is preferable (KK or N) than sundeck style where you're over an aft stateroom, but that's personal taste.

Stairs. Many trawlers have steep, long companionways. Something to think about. Not a lot of ways to mitigate, but some are worse than others.

Someone up-thread mentioned the Diesel Duck. Definitely a good idea as they are a fairly extreme example of an offshore capable powerboat. Cult like following especially for people who worry about Perfect Storm weather conditions. Personslly, way too many compromises for my tastes and I'm fairly comfortable traveling within three day weather windows so there is no upside to the compromises, but might strike you as a perfect example. Point being is looking at a DD would likely help you make some decisions either for or against.

Another good boat to look at yo help formulate likes/dislikes is the Defever 44. This is a real sleeper of a boat. On the surface, looks like a traditional Taiwan trawler. Far from it. One of the best engine rooms in its class, excellent range, and very nice layout- large interior for its size. It's a good example of a "sundeck" style boats where thr outdoor living space is above rhe aft stateroom so you can see if that suffices.

Stabilization is, in my opinion, a necessity. Simply not optional for open water passages. There are several options. Worthy of a several threads on its own.

Circling back to the Grand Banks, there is a couple with two children who are currently cruising the Caribbean. I think they're in their 4th or 5th year with their 1980s vintage GB42 classic. Previously they circumnavigated on a small sail catamaran, and also did extensive cruising on a 43 foot monohull. She's a great photographer, he's a great writer. You may want to visit Bumfuzzle.com to get a glimpse into their experiences.

Good luck and welcome to TF

Peter
Trader Im so over these overpowered Semi displacement coastal cruisers .Where you put more thoughts into the towel rack in the head than what engine you have . to each his own
Scooby5959 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 02:10 PM   #15
Guru
 
O C Diver's Avatar
 
City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 10,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby5959 View Post
UGG !!!!!! Helmsman Nice boat for a price ,Great trophy boat or dock queen you dont care about fuel economy or range if spending a lot of time tied to the dock ,these are not trawlers As I would define a trawler the word trawler is more of a marketing term as it is very evident by the name of this platform ,basically doesnt mean much .well Im still Clinging to the notion of a true trawler . whatever floats your boat
Really?

What total BS!

Ted
__________________
Blog: mvslowhand.com
I'm tired of fast moves, I've got a slow groove, on my mind.....
I want to spend some time, Not come and go in a heated rush.....
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 02:12 PM   #16
Guru
 
backinblue's Avatar
 
City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby5959 View Post
Trader Im so over these overpowered Semi displacement coastal cruisers .Where you put more thoughts into the towel rack in the head than what engine you have . to each his own
And where does a Nordic Tug 26 fit?
__________________
In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him. ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
backinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 02:15 PM   #17
Guru
 
City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 9,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
New build or used boat?
As new power folks when asked the same question in the past I would suggest a newer boat that was owned by a couple that extensively cruised the boat and were on top of its maintenance. The bugs should be already worked out and you wont go through the long learning curve figuring out what the boat needs. You may and will need need to replace worn equipment but the boat will already be set up and takes a lot of the guesswork out. Remember the age isnt important, how it was maintained is the key.
The big Nordhavns, Krogens, and selens are great boats.
Hollywood
HRK
This! Stick with serious looking at these 3 brands and benchmarks will be established. Keep in mind you're looking at 7 figure boats.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 02:20 PM   #18
Guru
 
backinblue's Avatar
 
City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 1,813
Any thoughts on Northwest Trawlers?
__________________
In my walks, every man I meet is my superior in some way, and in that I learn from him. ― Ralph Waldo Emerson
backinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 06:06 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
City: Ocean park
Vessel Name: Tug life
Vessel Model: Nordic tug 26
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 248
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
And where does a Nordic Tug 26 fit?
I figured that was coming .I bought my baby tug Because I move to the coast and built a house , winters are brutal down here no place to keep a boat I would have to drive 2 1/2 three hours to the nearest covered mortgage ,dealbreaker . so I sold my 38th aft cabin and looked for a boat that I could trailer and keep on my property .I had my 38 footer on my property but I sold the house and built another one and the boat had to go . so I looked at various Trailerable boats.Ranger, seaDory, fisher I really like the fishers ,motor sailor whatever you wanna call them .I settled on the Nordic 26 put it on a nice trailer .I figured it was a better candidate for a refit so I would have a boat the way I wanted it . I can go on and on the haters on this website Are probably already rolling Their eyes
Scooby5959 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 06:20 PM   #20
Guru
 
mvweebles's Avatar
 
City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 2,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby5959 View Post
I can go on and on the haters on this website Are probably already rolling Their eyes
Doubt I'm a 'hater' but definitely rolling my eyes. Not because you want what you want, but because your comments about "real trawlers" come off as so judgemental. Add-in a tiny character boat like an NT26 and, well, how could anyone not roll their eyes?
__________________
M/V Weebles
1970 Willard 36 Sedan Trawler
Current Location: Ensenada MX
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
newbie needs knowledge

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012