Checking in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frozen

Hello everyone. This seems like a informative and very helpful place. I've enjoyed lurking for a time and decided it was time to register. After guiding in the Alaskan interior (OUPV holder) over the past 21 years, my wife and I have made the decision to sell our remote home/lodge and go cruise fulltime around Kodiak, PWS, and SE AK. I'll be upgrading my license to a 25 ton Masters,, just because.

Now, it might take a while to sell our place, so I probably have time to do lots of research in the meantime. Making the decision to sell was the difficult part, planning for the next adventure is the exciting part. I look forward to learning a lot here. Thank you to all who contribute and share their knowledge. I was also excited to see so many full timers wintering in SE. I didn't expect that.

Welcome aboard! What ever you do, don’t ask about anchors! You’ll start a thread that never ends.

Welcome to TF on behalf of the moderators, and good luck re the sales of your properties so you can follow the plan. :flowers:

Frozen
Welcome aboard TF.
I think you will find lots of worthwhile info and advice here. My only caution, other than Hopcar's one re anchors, would be to not expect a concensus in answers to many questions. Lots of different opinions, experience and approaches but that also adds a richness in many cases.
Enjoy the planning and learning its a challenge but part of the fun.

Thank you for the warm welcome and words of advice. I'll certainly try and refrain from asking the questions that cause drama. I do realize that this is more a place for sharing ideas and that there are rarely "right" answers. Especially regarding a topic as subjective as boats, lifestyles, intended purposes, environments, ect... This is a dream we've been thinking about for probably the past 7 to 8 years but were not ready to take the step. It's quite liberating to finally be able to really allow my mind to head down this path.

I think you may be wrong about the time required to sell a remote Alaskan property.

I don't know exactly why but property is moving fast. There seems to be plenty of money out there.
Often above asking price. Unfortunately for you, boats are also moving quickly. When you have a found a boat you like be prepared to move quickly.

pete

I think you may be wrong about the time required to sell a remote Alaskan property.

I don't know exactly why but property is moving fast. There seems to be plenty of money out there.
Often above asking price. Unfortunately for you, boats are also moving quickly. When you have a found a boat you like be prepared to move quickly.

pete

I sincerely hope you're right, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I'd rather be pleasantly surprised than disappointed and frustrated. We have quite an operation here so it will take the right person. From what I'm seeing, you're also spot on regarding boats as well.

Welcome aboard from a bit south :thumb:

Last edited:
The key is timing. You might end up selling your property and living in your car until you find a boat. LOL

The key is timing. You might end up selling your property and living in your car until you find a boat. LOL

That's true. I'm sure there will be an interim when we are in exactly that situation. We're fortunate to have a large network of friends in AK and the western US who would be nice to travel around and visit while waiting for the right opportunity to become available. Just as long as it doesn't take too long. ��

Frozen, I learned "friends" should be kept at a distance and at best, 3 or 4 nights even if you mow their lawn. LOL

Hahahaha, yeah, not moving in with anyone. Just lots of places to go and friends to visit while we figure stuff out. I've only been out of the bush for about a week and a half in the past two years so I'm ready to travel around and see some new scenery. It's also been about 6 years since I've gone to see any family so I should probably put that on the "to do" list. I appreciate your sentiment, but figured out long ago blood doesn't prove loyalty and true friends are the family you choose for yourself. Some of whom we've put up in the past and would do again if they needed us. I don't like going to the well unless absolutley necessary, but they'd be there if we needed them. I'm not worried about it. Things have a way of working out and sometimes just a little patience and tenacity will get you where you need to be.

Welcome aboard. I wish I was were you are now. Enjoy the adventure of the search.

Welocme Aboard!

You will find a wealth of knowledge, and more than a bit of good humor
(RTF:))

Welcome. When you are ready, give us a clue about brands and boat lengths you are considering.

Welcome! Ask away!��

Back
Top Bottom