Old 05-10-2021, 07:16 PM   #1

City: Poquoson
Wink Camano 31

Hi all, I'm selling my 39ft sailboat and moving on to a smaller trawler. We live on the Chesapeake Bay and want to do some exploring up and down the bay and the ICW. Going offshore for some coastal cruising is also planned.
I'm new to trawlers and have been looking at used Camano 31s. Perfect size for us, well made and apparently easy to get around in. As a sailor, I'm in no hurry to get anywhere. Cruising a 8-15 knots is fine. Fuel efficiency is also a plus for this retiree.
I understand that most Camanos are on the West Coast and the few here in the East go fast.
I've seen a few threads here a few years old and they are extremely helpful.
All things considered are there other models we should be looking at?
Any suggestions are welcomed.
Kimokarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:18 PM   #2
Guru

One of our club members owned a Camano Troll and we buddy boated to Catalina Island. Our 40 foot trawler did it's usual rock and roll while the Camano barely moved, thanks to the Camano engine sitting low in the hull.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:55 AM   #3

City: Sarasota, FL
Vessel Name: Constellation
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
They are excellent boats. We are from the PNW, now living on the gulf coast of FL, but we were on and boated with many Camano 31s when we were in Vancouver. All the owners we met loved them!
Constellation1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 07:19 AM   #4
Guru

City: Owings, Md
Vessel Name: Graceland
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1
In case you are not aware, the Camaro 31 is now built as the Helmsman 31, they will be newer and more expensive but I would include them in your search parameters. If you are considering older models the Prairie 29 and Atlantic 30 and Cape Dory 28 may be of interest, well regarded boats with a similar layout. Search for single diesel sedan cruiser and cruiser and you may find more one-off or low production models that may suit your needs.
Gdavid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:51 AM   #5

City: Jacksonville,FL
Are the Camaro 31 w/ the I-6 Volvo diesel ?
Trawler Searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:04 AM   #6
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Here's a friend's blog who is starting the Great Loop in September in his Camano Perfect Choice. To them, the name says it all!!

https://perfectchoiceloop.com/

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:33 AM   #7
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
I chartered a Camano 31 in the PNW a few years ago. I liked it very much so here are a few observations:

Cruising at 15 kts may be pushing it. We cranked it up to 14 kts to buck a strong current but that seemed to be as far as I would want to go continuously. It probably would do 16+ at wot.

The layout is almost perfect for a small trawler. I would remove the table in the main salon to open it up for more casual seating, but that is just my preference.

I noticed that ours had a steel frame helm seat folded up and stored to the starboard of the lower helm. It would work ok in light seas but I would want it tied down to use it in anything rough.

This boat had a Weaver davit system that worked great to store the dinghy. It also stabilized the dinghy while boarding because it was pinned to the swim platform. It also had the Weaver lever O/B motor attachment that swiveled when the dinghy was raised or lowered.

I can't remember the numbers but I was shocked at how little fuel I used in a week. We traveled from Anacortes to Friday Harbor, Roche Harbor, Stuart Island, Rosario and back to Anacortes. The Volvo is a nice, compact straight six that ran great. Of course everyone says that parts are expensive but so are Yanmar parts.

All in all a very nice two person trawler.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 10:51 AM   #8

City: Yelm, WA
Vessel Name: "Convergence"
Vessel Model: Camano Troll
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trawler Searcher View Post
Are the Camaro 31 w/ the I-6 Volvo diesel ?
the vast majority were. A few very early ones had a smaller engine and I think some of the last before they went out of business and were picked up and re-branded by Helmsman had something else.
"Satisfaction"
ctjstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 06:14 PM   #9
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
I had a Camano for a few years and actually lived aboard for a while too. GREAT boats. Very well designed and built strong.

Feel free to call me anytime if you wanna chat. PM me and I'll send my number

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 07:37 PM   #10
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Wasn`t esteemed TF member, winter cruiser and photographer par excellence, "Durant F" musing about possibly selling his?
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camano, pocket trawlers