Brief Intro from PNW

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wil

Vessel Name
Gone Walkabout
Vessel Make
1999 KadeyKrogen 39
Hello, the Admiral & I are getting ready to move from land to sea, we are currently living in Washington state. We have pretty much narrowed it down to an older KK42, as that's how the budget-to-comfort-and-range ratio works out for us.

I've been doing a fair amount of reading on TF and learning a whole bunch of stuff--thanks! It's truly amazing how easy it is to find just the information or group you want, what with these new-fangled tubes things....:rolleyes:

Wil

Welcome-and you'll love the liveaboard lifestyle!

Welcome, we just moved on board about 3 weeks ago....

Be careful. Contrary to Abraham Lincoln saying "Everything on the Internet must be true", things have changed since then and this forum is one of the poster children for that.
But welcome!

Welcome Wil, KK-42's are beautiful boats and are perfect for the PNW!

Welcome from another PNW boater. You might also consider joining the power-sail squadron to pick up more tips information about cruising and make contacts.

Welcome from yet another PNW boater...this one from the Columbia River. I wish you much success with your boat search and moving aboard.

Contrary to what Caltex said above....if it's on the internet it MUST be true!

Welcome from the East coast.

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

I do plan on taking various USCG Auxiliary and Power Squadron courses as I go along.

Right now I'm reading a book that I highly recommend if you have a hard time understanding the ins and outs of weather forecast products and how to look out the window to figure out what's going on. It is Chris Parker's book "Coastal and Offshore Weather, the Essential Handbook". The one review on Amazon says don't get the eBook version, I like having a hard copy in my hand anyhow.

I'm sure this book has been mentioned on TF before, but I can say that it is very simply written starting with the most basic concepts and building with a cruiser's pov always in mind. Best $13.00 I ever spent on wx!

Rgds,
Wil

Wil, The Power Squadron has an excellent and very comprehensive "Weather" course. The advantage to the course vs a book is, you can ask questions until the concept is clear to you. You'll love the liveaboard life if you can handle the lack of "stuff" you acquire on land. We lived aboard and cruised for just over 15 years, and still live by the "KISS" rule in our new land home. Best of luck! Ben

Where in the PNW are you? We are up north in Bellingham.

Wil, The Power Squadron has an excellent and very comprehensive "Weather" course. The advantage to the course vs a book is, you can ask questions until the concept is clear to you. You'll love the liveaboard life if you can handle the lack of "stuff" you acquire on land. We lived aboard and cruised for just over 15 years, and still live by the "KISS" rule in our new land home. Best of luck! Ben

Thanks for the Power Squadron wx tip. I've already done their basic course, more to go.

Funny you mention that. As the Admiral has told me, that's going to be the hardest part. I'm a vintage car restorer by hobby and man, have I got a lot of tools, parts, and cars to get rid of.....:banghead:

Where in the PNW are you? We are up north in Bellingham.

Just down the road from you in Stanwood. Used to live on Lake Whatcom until the frenzy got too frenzied. Kinda miss it a bit now though.

We are just south of strawberry point! If you get up this way look me up.

Last edited:
Hi Will. The KK42 is an excellent boat. Take your time and choose the best one you can find. We were fortunate to find a 1985 version that had undergone a substantial refit. The sellers were motivated and we were very lucky. Teak decks and fuel tanks are known issues on these boats and if you should try to find one that has had that refit.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Back
Top Bottom