Bought it. Now I'm losing sleep

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
At least it's not, "Hey I just got married and now I'm having second thoughts..." One can always sell the boat. :)

At least it's not, "Hey I just got married and now I'm having second thoughts..." One can always sell the boat. :)

There is that...although, as I'm finding out now...the buying always goes quicker than the selling bit...

But to the OP if he comes back on, we have thoroughly enjoyed the 14 years we have had our Clipper (CHB) 34, so hang in there...

Great discussion even without the OP.

I've recently made the plunge from outboard, trailered fishing boats to a 43 Mikelson. I've had anxiety about the purchase, mainly as regards my ability to spend enough time to properly maintain and use the boat. My solution is to begin simplifying my life-

I sold a collector car that I rarely drove, though I did enjoy polishing it and looking at it longingly. That's one less mechanical device to maintain, insure, pay taxes on, etc.

I've been raising beef cattle in a small way for 20 years. I don't make much money at it, and my kids are out of the house, so I have much less need for 400 lbs. of grass-fed beef per year. There's also the hassle of feed and water when I leave town. And they only get out of their fencing when I'm out of town. So, my next simplification is selling the four cow/calf pairs that I own now.

At age 53, I've concluded that I can only maintain and enjoy so many toys. If you're already maxed out with work/family/church/civic activities,etc., and you add another time commitment, some facet of your life will suffer.

At age 53, I've concluded that I can only maintain and enjoy so many toys. If you're already maxed out with work/family/church/civic activities,etc., and you add another time commitment, some facet of your life will suffer.

Excellent advice.

I've been raising beef cattle in a small way for 20 years. I don't make much money at it, and my kids are out of the house, so I have much less need for 400 lbs. of grass-fed beef per year. There's also the hassle of feed and water when I leave town. And they only get out of their fencing when I'm out of town. So, my next simplification is selling the four cow/calf pairs that I own now.

Funny, I'm in the same boat:D Sold all my cows last fall for the same reason. Relaxing boat weekends are way more fun than chasing cows and fixing fences. I did, however, keep the Porsche...

With our boat,there are three levels of projects:

1. Need to get done
2. Like to get done
3. Eventually get to it

Most of ours are #2's and appearance related. If it is floating and runs, much of everything else is a #2 project, so relax and enjoy the journey.

Congratulations.

I also like the advice above. It's easy to feel overwhelmed, even for people boating far longer than we.

In business we set a rule that no projects could exceed six months as they never finished and were overwhelming. That forces you to break them down into manageable jobs and get one done without being bothered by the next.

Funny, I'm in the same boat:D Sold all my cows last fall for the same reason. Relaxing boat weekends are way more fun than chasing cows and fixing fences. I did, however, keep the Porsche...

Even funnier, the car that I sold was a Porsche....:)

I'm not selling my Porsche...haha actually it is for sale.

Interesting how people have different opinions on what the OP might be losing sleep over. Projecting our own fears onto him perhaps? :popcorn:

I can understand your concerns fully. My wife and I just bought a 1987 41' President that needs love and attention. We have both had boats all our lives, but this is our first boat with complex systems (at least to me). I do lay awake at night thinking what have I done, what can I fix, and I can't wait to go cruising. What helps me first and foremost is that I take the long view. No one is breathing down my back to fix, repair, or otherwise, perform a miracle. I am very fortunate to have an experienced captain that uses the Socratic method in helping me learn about my vessel. This is invaluable to me. And lastly (for now), this is a relationship, and it takes time, understanding, and patience. Breathe and relax. There are good days, there are challenging days, and then there are the days that make it all worthwhile.

I can understand your concerns fully. My wife and I just bought a 1987 41' President that needs love and attention. We have both had boats all our lives, but this is our first boat with complex systems (at least to me). I do lay awake at night thinking what have I done, what can I fix, and I can't wait to go cruising. What helps me first and foremost is that I take the long view. No one is breathing down my back to fix, repair, or otherwise, perform a miracle. I am very fortunate to have an experienced captain that uses the Socratic method in helping me learn about my vessel. This is invaluable to me. And lastly (for now), this is a relationship, and it takes time, understanding, and patience. Breathe and relax. There are good days, there are challenging days, and then there are the days that make it all worthwhile.

This post wins the Jamaican "No Worries" award!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom