Big day tomorrow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PARTSGOD

Vessel Name
worth every Nik-Al
Vessel Make
81 Canoe Cove Sports Sedan
Hi After 3 years of saving and looking Im well on my way to getting my first boat. The survey is tomorrow and if all goes well i will be the proud owner of a 1978 mt europa soon after. Wish me luck and Ill post the news when i get it.

Hi After 3 years of saving and looking Im well on my way to getting my first boat. The survey is tomorrow and if all goes well i will be the proud owner of a 1978 mt europa soon after. Wish me luck and Ill post the news when i get it.

Good luck mate! Can only begin to imagine how excited you are. Good luck trying to sleep tonight too! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler

Keeping my fingers crossed for you that the survey goes well!

Good luck, Al!

Good luck and welcome aboard.

yes, Good luck. Hope the survey went well, but if not, there are others out there.

Richard

Good luck and nice choice!

Our last boat a 1983 MT36 after 7 years of work and modifications. She will always be very special to us!

Attachments

• MT36 088.jpg
    MT36 088.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 135
  • 11-7-10 084.jpg
    11-7-10 084.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 195
  • 11-7-10 114.jpg
    11-7-10 114.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 137
  • 11-7-10 135.jpg
    11-7-10 135.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 148
  • 11-7-10 166.jpg
    11-7-10 166.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 135
Daddyo, you did a great job. I remember your make the new style plates for it. To my mind Marine Traders offered an awful lot for the money. The sedans had fewer problems because of less possible leaking places.

These are some pictures dug up and scanned of our MT36 Sedan. I loved that boat.

img_168943_0_3ba5b5187ee89c04eecc2ca281e444e3.jpg

img_168943_1_aef07aa5e72c257b4b06dc5e01f697a5.jpg

img_168943_2_248df9cc935d815d69e97c21d77c5fe1.jpg

img_168943_3_14c7035dc8453c8abbbf832b30c8dd95.jpg

img_168943_4_bfd5ce32df6d1689be2b7f5aa7c4b8ee.jpg

img_168943_5_0545a6095e974040ec7241713d823d3d.jpg

img_168943_6_8f2b903411e51f85337f648e09189b68.jpg

Last edited:
Good pics, Don. It's nice to roll back the clock once in awhile. :blush:

I agree+!

Thanks Walt and Mark. Marine Traders all get lumped into the same basket, and some get a bum wrap. Many were subcontracted out to families for finishing. That is one reason why the quality varied so much. I ordered that boat built by the Blue Seas yard from their new hull mold. It came in almost like you saw in the pictures. We changed the upholstery and decorating. The teak joiner work inside was flawless. The hull with the new strake lines was virtually flawless. The boat was bullet proof the 6 years I owned it. The only issue was with full tanks it settled toward the stern. A boat not floating on her lines is just not right. After some back and forth with MT, they agreed to send the flexible tank and hardware if I would install it. A new flexible water tank in the bow under the V berth was added. It gave an extra 75 gal. of fresh water, and it trimmed the boat nicely.:dance:

Good luck. Hope all goes well. Very exciting time.

Still waiting on survey!

Still waiting to get survey back, but there was bad news during as the decks all show moisture with the bow being springy under foot. Im bummed!
Will let everyone know what happens when it happens. Any body had the bow section recored and if so what was cost?
thanks for the replies also!

Still waiting to get survey back, but there was bad news during as the decks all show moisture with the bow being springy under foot. Im bummed!
Will let everyone know what happens when it happens. Any body had the bow section recored and if so what was cost?

Yeah, on my Allied Mistress (sailboat) I had the fiberglass in the bow section cut open, all the rotten balsa removed, and something inserted in its place (not sure what it was, but it was not more balsa! :) Wasn't terrible expensive, although I do not remember the exact cost. My guess would be a couple of thousand, and I do not think that I would be all that far off.

Had it done in Oriental, N.C., which is neither here nor there, but just thought I would throw that in.

So far as moisture in the hull, most boats which have been in the water a long time have that to a greater or lesser extent. I would not worry about it too much so long as no blisters. Part of the trade-off for getting an older boat.

Thanks Don! I didn't know you had one once. Our layout was identical to yours prior to my conversion.

bad survey

Well got the survey tried to work with buyer but to no avail.
Bow was spongy to walk on other decks have moisture in general need lots of deferred maintenance work done. Survey available if anybody interested
boat listed on Portland Or.Craigslist. On to the next find hopefully the next one is the right one.

I don't think there is much reason to compromise, given the still-sketchy market out there. You'll find your Baby, and it'll find you too.

Well got the survey tried to work with buyer but to no avail.
Bow was spongy to walk on other decks have moisture in general need lots of deferred maintenance work done. Survey available if anybody interested
boat listed on Portland Or.Craigslist. On to the next find hopefully the next one is the right one.

I had the same thing happen When I was trying to buy a Hans Christian 33 sailboat prior to buying my trawler. I wanted the boat bad , really bad. The owner wanted 60k .I looked it over pretty good and offered him 30k without a survey and no questions. We agreed on 45k based on survey. The survey came back at 30k,lots of moisture in in decks and coach roof. He was hung up on getting 45 for it .I went up to 40 which was not smart. He would not come off 45. The day before I was going to look at the trawler ,He calls up and lowers the price to 43,500 ,not even splitting the difference. I bought the trawler the next day.This was over a year ago and the Hans Christian is still for sale. Hang in there your boat is waiting for you.

We had the same problem with our Gulfstar. We cut out the fiberglass, removed the rotten core, or what was left of it. Installed new core and fiberglassed it back. I think it was about $1,000, mainly for the cost of the fiberglass.

Pictures are here: Our family photo album/Fleet/Gulfstar Renovation/Exterior

Look at the bottom of the page since we have quite a few pictures of the exterior work.

I decided to buy it anyway!

Well I finally decided the whole package was to good to give up. So I purchased the boat and the house it lives in. Here is a photo.
Lots of work to get her ready but im stoked.

Attachments

• p_049.jpg
    p_049.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 75
Congrats, Alan! Now the real fun begins :)

Email sent...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom