Old 08-06-2014, 02:53 PM   #1

City: Propriano
Best quality/workmanship build trawler

Hello
I am new to the "motor boat" world, moving from sailing to motoring (age and related physical fitness being the reasons)
I am used to high quality build, like the Nauticat or Halberg-Rassy in Europe.
I want to buy a trawler in the 40 footer range (two people aboard most of the time), and wish to know about the best quality build trawler. . .
I have been told about Nordic tugs, Kadey Krogen, Nordhaven,...
Any one wanting to share his view and reasons with me?
thanls
Le Malouin
LeMalouin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:54 PM   #2
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
Welcome to the forum Le Malouin. Can't help with your question as I have never owned a high end trawler. One that I perceive as being high end is Selene on top of the ones you have mentioned. I think it also depends on how you will use it and do you really need high end. With unlimited funds I might buy one to but the lottery hasn't been nice to me. Enjoy the forum.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:16 PM   #3
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Nordhavn is built to be able to do long distance blue water passages. That means it has equipment and systems that are way beyond what is required for normal coastal cruising and are wasted if that is all you want to do.

The others mentioned above are of a similar quality level as the Halberg Rassy. And some like the Kady Krogen can be suitable for blue water cruising with some modifications.

But I would never want to use a non-ballasted trawler (which includes the Nordic Tug) on a long distance, blue water passage. But for a coastal or near coastal cruiser, the Nordic Tug is a great boat.

It all depends on what you want to do with the boat.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: Dania Beach
Vessel Name: Cool Beans
Vessel Model: 36 Kadey Krogen Manatee
Take a look at the Kadey Krogen Manatee. This 36' single engine has an amazing layout for 2 people. We have two recliner chairs in our saloon, a walk around queen bed, a 14' kayak, two bikes, scuba gear and a 11.5 foot hard bottom inflatable on board. We're in the Fort Lauderdale area in case you want to take a look. Not for sale.......by the way.

Dotty
CoolBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:07 PM   #5
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Are you looking to buy new or used? For what kind of cruising in what waters?

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:35 PM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
A proper diesel duck, Dutch steel boats, Krogens and there are many more...budget is also a consideration. The world is the limit if money is not a factor.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:57 AM   #7

Need to sleep on my two ears

Thanks you for the comments.
In fact by best quality built, I mean a boat easy to maintain, that is for exemple with an "electrical wiring" easy to undertand from A to Z, and easy to repair, with wooden work that will not crack and/or bend with humidity, with locks that will still lock properly in 20 years, with a hull that will not be subject to osmosis, with internal natural ventilation that will minimize humidity,... I know perfection does not exist, I am simply looking for excellence...
Then, my budget will likely decide for me to go on a used boat, but, KK?, Grand Banks? Other?
The next issue will be not the "spec requirements", that is single engine? or two engines?
A sail boat has two propulsion, wind and diesel.
A KK has only ONE engine, a GB has TWO engines...
Is a single engine really reliable and dependable?
Why is there on US build boats diesel cleaning systems? and not in Europe?
LeMalouin
Old 08-07-2014, 08:13 AM   #8
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
I went to Yachtworld and to answer your question it confirmed my thoughts, at least in my mind......Dutch Steel looks like the best game in town in ur area of the world. Fuel prices as they are, full displacement, single engine, thruster equipped is they way to go. Very seaworthy, economical to run, all with high build quality as a general rule. Lowland, Linssen, Van De Sazant (or some such) seem to have high builds quality.
As for ur filter question?? I do not know but I prefer twin filters one running, one in wait. Contamination often comes from the boat tank, not necessary the supplier. That factor is the same on both sides of the pond. Fuel contamination is arguably the number 1 reason for Diesel engine shutdown.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:32 AM   #9
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
Linssen Yachts.

Yacht Broker/Owner since 1984, Florida License #32
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:33 AM   #10
Guru

City: Vermont
Don't overlook Grand Banks. I think they are above most others in fit, finish, build quality, and equipment selection. As others have mentioned the most important questions is what you want to do with the boat, but for coastal cruising, I'd take Grand Banks over any of the other brands mentioned.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:40 AM   #11

You might want to consider Selene. They have a pretty good European presence but the 40 is their smallest. Selene in Europe on Yachtworld

Dave
Old 08-08-2014, 08:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
Don't overlook Grand Banks. I think they are above most others in fit, finish, build quality, and equipment selection. As others have mentioned the most important questions is what you want to do with the boat, but for coastal cruising, I'd take Grand Banks over any of the other brands mentioned.
Grand Banks is definitely an option, GB seems to be quite homogenous in the way they are made, but I must admit I do find their "wood work" surely nice, but below expectation.
I am a fan of old boats smelling wood, the way the british used to make them some 75 years ago.

I am definitely considering a "Europa" version as a possibility, but do find that they are often overpowered for my way of cruising.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:58 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
I went to Yachtworld and to answer your question it confirmed my thoughts, at least in my mind......Dutch Steel looks like the best game in town in ur area of the world. Fuel prices as they are, full displacement, single engine, thruster equipped is they way to go. Very seaworthy, economical to run, all with high build quality as a general rule. Lowland, Linssen, Van De Sazant (or some such) seem to have high builds quality.
As for ur filter question?? I do not know but I prefer twin filters one running, one in wait. Contamination often comes from the boat tank, not necessary the supplier. That factor is the same on both sides of the pond. Fuel contamination is arguably the number 1 reason for Diesel engine shutdown.
Hi
Thanks for the tips
These are manufacturers I never heard of.
I'LL look even though I am not fan of steel boats, I do like the warmth of nice wood workmanship
Old 08-08-2014, 09:12 PM   #14
Scraping Paint

City: -
Grand Banks is probably not what you want if you are interested in minimal maintenance. We have owned a GB for 16 years now, and while it is a great boat, well built, and ideally suited for the kind of coastal and inside waters cruising that we do in the Pacific Northwest, it is in no way, shape, or form "low maintenance."

Even the newer ones, with a minimum of external teak, require more work to keep them in good shape that other makes of a similar vintage and style.

An older one, like ours with its rainforest of external teak trim, teak deck, and wood interior (all GBs have wood interiors) is an ongoing project the moment you take possession.

They are great boats, but only if you have the time, interest, tools and skills, or the money to hire people with the time, interest, tools and skills, to maintain them properly.

Grand Banks can be had with one or two engines, although most of the models from 42 feet up are twin engine. We have a twin, and after owning a twin for 16 years I can say we will never own a boat with less than two engines. There's nothing "wrong" with single engine boats. We just have our reasons for prefering multiple engines under the floor.

If you want more information about GBs, I suggest you join the Grand Banks owners forum. http://www.grandbanksowners.com/index.php You can get answers to virtually any question you might have about these boats from people who have a ton of experience operating, maintaining, and repairing them.

Fuel contamination does not seem to be an issue in this area. The fuel from the suppliers along the coast seems to be very good. I have never personally heard of anyone having an engine problem due to bad fuel in this area. All the engine shutdowns I am aware of, including our own, have had mostly to do with cooling problems, either the raw water side or the coolant side.

It's certainly possible if a boat has dirty fuel tanks the filters could clog and starve the engine of fuel, particularly if rough water stirs up sludge from the bottom of a tank. But nobody I know personally with a boat, power or sail, has any sort of fuel polishing system on it. And none of them have ever had a fuel-related engine shutdown (I don't count running out of fuel).
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:13 PM   #15
Veteran Member

City: Granite Bay
Vessel Name: Pier Runner 6
Vessel Model: 27 ft Boston Whaler Conquest
I too am looking for a trawler/aft cabin style boat. 45-50ft. What is the opinions on the mid 80's Californians and Defever's Also, never thought of a Bayliner but the 4788 seemed to have a slight following. A little bigger than a 40 but I'm sure these makes have versions in the 40 range.
Thank you
CMA1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:54 PM   #16
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Hatteras.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:52 PM   #17
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Hatteras.

I'll second that. Well built boats but don't buy a turd, regardless of brand.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 04:14 AM   #18
Guru

Ocean Alexander builds a solid boat with quality components. Monk designed hulls for the most part.
Underway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:48 AM   #19

City: Galveston
Vessel Name: Sea Catsle
Vessel Model: 1971 Hatteras 58 Yacht Fish
We just bought a Hatteras 58 yacht fish and are very happy with it. It's a 1971 model and love the old mahogany that they used. Very solid boat and easy to maintain (so far). Quite a bit of an upgrade from our Gulfstar 43 Mark 1 trawler, which we'll be putting up for sale soon.

Welcome aboard.
Victor_Chat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 11:46 AM   #20
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMA1992 View Post
Also, never thought of a Bayliner but the 4788 seemed to have a slight following.
This might be the understatement of all time, sorta like saying "Southerners like Ice tea and BBQ"...you think? Those boats have a HUGE following. Of all the boats ever built in that size range, they're the only ones that always have active buyers searching, and buying. They sell quicker than any other boat and hold the highest resale values vs original and pre-owned purchase prices. Sorta like the 57 Chevys of the sea. Good ones-PRICED RIGHT literally sell within days of coming on the market. Sight unseen.

Yacht Broker/Owner since 1984, Florida License #32
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote