Beginning the Search in Puget Sound

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeaRun

Howdy,

Warning upfront, but my apologies for the long-winded intro...

A Newbie here who is beginning the search for a trawler/tug type of cruiser. Beyond a dozen years at sea on multiple Navy ships (PCs to CVNs), my recreational boating experience is limited kayaks and to short coastal cruising (overnights) and daysailing on a variety of sailboats while stationed on the East coast. We relocated to Puget Sound two years ago and plan to settle down here when I retire from the Navy in the summer of '17.

We have a 4 year old, so with school and my wife's career (as well as whatever I decide to do when I grow up), our cruising plans will be limited to weekends and longer summer trips within Puget Sound, as well as a big Inside Passage trip upon retirement in June-Sep 2017.

We've own four different Sailboats in the past (two Cape Dories, a Morgan, and a CT41) and our original thoughts were a Sailboat. However, after watching the water up here over the past few years I think a trawler / tug make a little more sense in the PacNW.

I would like to get a boat sometime in the next 18-mos in order to get some experience under our belts prior to our '17 trip. So, with that goal we're planning on checking out local boat shows in order to start thinking through things and getting ideas. Also, I've been lurking on Yachtworld for the last year or so...We will probably start actively looking via brokers this winter.

I know everyone has an opinion and there is no "one size fits all" boat out there, but I'm interested what people consider the best option(s) for our needs and plans.

Plans/Needs/Wants:
- Weekend and longer coastal cruising in/around Puget Sound, SJDF, San Juans, Strait of Georgia, and coastal BC. Inside Passage to Alaska once or twice.
- Economical fuel consumption
- Max used price of $200k
- Prefer something "salty" looking, but I don't want to be a slave to a LOT of brightwork
- Reliability (to me, this seems like twin diesels for redundancy, but I may be too conservative here)
- Fishing / crabbing possibility--I would like the ability to mount a downrigger or two for Salmon, but not a deal breaker...I enjoy fishing (fly fishing is my passion), but that is NOT the primary purpose here and I understand this is going to be difficult in a cruiser

Thanks in advance for any assistance / thoughts...looking forward to the journey!

SeaRun

Welcome Shipmate! Ret, USN 72-92
Your gonna enjoy this site. A lot of help and some times, too much info to digest! But well meaning and honest. Try not to start the anchor questions, just a little heads up!
Spend some time walking the docks and looking. Boat show in Seattle in a few days, worth the trip.
Best of luck!
Crusty

Check out the 43 foot Tollycraft for sale in Bellingham. Newer engines and stabilizers. Would probably need to install trolling valves on the transmissions to fish for salmon. Good luck.

Check out the 36 kadey krogen manatee. Great economical trawler with tons on living space. We just love ours!

Welcome!
What kinds of boats have your interest on yachtworld?
Your budget will certainly allow you to pick and choose.

Answer these questions to help you narrow down your results:
Do you need a generator?
Flybridge?
Sleeping accommodation's for how many?
Galley up or galley down?
Is a cockpit necessary? Yes for fishing.

I'm sure there are more questions that others can add.. Once you have these answered you can arrange them by priority and magically you will be able to narrow down your options.

Last edited:
smiley-signs046.gif

Welcome. Boats afloat show this weekend. Can be a good way to start going aboard. Anacortes is another spot to view a lot of different boats.

SeaRun, if you need tix to the boat show, let me know.

Welcome aboard. Like you will soon be I am retired Navy (83-2004). Just beginning the process of finding the right boat. We are going to our first boat show (Trawler Fest) on the 25th in Baltimore. This is a great place to get 1st class information so sit back copy the traffic and enjoy the ride.

Welcome and if all things go as planned we will be at Trawler fest in a few weeks

Welcome.
Sounds like you have a good start.
Good luck.

Welcome - Take your time, do your homework, take pictures (lots) of each boat you step on, inside & out. Make it fun and keep it that way. For us, that was a great way to visit many brokers & people (some brokers are not people).

^^^^^ "....some brokers are not people..."

Priceless!

Welcome!
What kinds of boats have your interest on yachtworld?
Your budget will certainly allow you to pick and choose.

Answer these questions to help you narrow down your results:
Do you need a generator?
Flybridge?
Sleeping accommodation's for how many?
Galley up or galley down?
Is a cockpit necessary? Yes for fishing.

I'm sure there are more questions that others can add.. Once you have these answered you can arrange them by priority and magically you will be able to narrow down your options.

I like the look of the Grand Banks trawlers, Kadey Krogan 42s, and a lot of the tug designs (i.e., LNVTs). My wife likes the looks of the GBs...For some reason, I'm drawn towards a pilothouse design.

Generator: Yes
Flybridge: Ambivalent right now, but leaning towards yes
Sleeping: Min of 4, but prefer 5+
Galley up/down: No pref right now. My wife always said if we had a Cat, she would want the galley up where the action is, so prob yes. Better idea after this weekend's boatshow
Cockpit: Yes

Regardless, I think I'll have a better idea after the Lake Union Boats Afloat this weekend.

Thanks for the assistance!

Jeff

One of the things pointed out to me by my wife was, in a Pilot House boat she felt disconnected from the view and the Captain because she could not see the bow or the helm. She much preferred the GB where visibility was 360 from the salon and everybody was in view except when they wanted the privacy of the aft or forward cabins. Plus, we both love the fly bridge for driving as well as lounging. So for us.....happy wife happy life. :)

Beware of the large adverts on the net, they are usually the smallest operators. Or in our case, a person just representing himself - in order to get the widest audience. Attend all the trawler fests possible.

Just my 2-bits...WELCOME!...and my wife and I are also in the market, only in the Gulf of Mexico area...I ran across a Kadie Krogan 42 in Olympia and forwarded it to my sister and brother in law who live in Longview Wa....they drove up, loved it, made an offer, and take possession this Monday....Just my humble opinion....if you want "salty"....and dependability, the Kadie is a good place to start.

Twiget & SeaRun- Thank you for your service! :flowers:

SeaRun- Echo all those who are welcoming you. Yes, this is without a doubt the better forum for boaters that exist:thumb:. Nobody left out, sharing, good comradeship. Everything to learn about boating, including anchors and foreword sloping widows. Do you have an opinion on either?:hide: Curious people will want to know.:popcorn:

Regards,
Al:D

If your time on the water is limited consider semi displacement boats that can exceed hull speed. The Nordic tugs are usually in that class and there are many others. Semi displacement works well for me out of Seattle and north. Welcome aboard. If you get a new boat and want a CGAUX safety check let me know I will do checks in the Seattle area.

Last edited:
One idea you've probably considered -- try before you buy by chartering. We chartered a GB 36 last year from NW Explorations in Bellingham. Great experience. Top drawer outfit with an impeccably maintained fleet (almost all GBs), but you also pay top dollar. Anacortes Yacht Charters has a bigger fleet with more makes and models. Just checking them out, along with the Nordics for sale at the next marina down the road (Cap Sante), is as good as going to a boat show, and no ticket to buy. Have fun!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom