Beginner Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You local coast guard auxiliary will also have classes.

FWIW in view of your starting point (sailing cat or trawler) I would point you in the direction of (semi-)displacement catamaran trawlers such as PDQ, the Endeavour boats or a Manta. In my view they combine the advantages of both classes (plenty of room, excellent fuel economy, low bridge height) while largely avoiding the drawbacks (not too beamy, excellent stability, no need for sailing qualifications but can use a kite sail in suitable winds). While inventory will be very limited indeed, keep a keen eye out and you might get lucky.

We are currently having a non-masted version of a sailing cat built to capture exactly that elusive Venn diagram overlap while simultaneously equipping it with the latest cutting-edge solar electro propulsion technology (rim driven thrusters, anyone?) ...

This depends on where you are planning to go. Around the world or even just a week or so on the open ocean, I wouldn't go to sea in a trawler. I would, and have, gone to sea in some power and sailing cats and some sailing monohulls, but I'd check their seaworthiness out very carefully. Any cat with the now popular, and very woke, foredeck "cockpit lounge" is an open invitation to come down off a large wave, bury a hull and have the cockpit lounge fill up with a couple tons of water and its upside down for you. The good news is cats float real nice upside-down, and many have escape hatches in their floors and life raft access right-side up or upside-down.

Sadly, you probably won't see much in a Trawlerfest these days. Nor the Newport Int'l show. I went to the Newport show last year and boats to see was a slim list. The Newport Trawlerfest was canceled because they could not round up enough boats to form a show. Buyer interest is high, so sales inventory is low. There are not many boats sitting around looking for a buyer. But, when shows near you come around just look at the online list of boats that will be there and maybe the one for you will be there.

Shows are a good idea, but an idea hard to implement. An airfare and hotel investment in going to the biggest show in Ft Lauderdale might be worth it for you.

Welcome to the board.

Seattle also has a large in the water show twice a year. I suspect SF LA and SD do also.

Trawler or sailboat?
Can't help you make the decision but think about this old joke.
"What's the difference between a powerboat and a sailboat?"
"A sailboat is only under power 90% of the time"

Back
Top Bottom