On Becoming a Trawler Traveler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RossWilson

Vessel Name
Good Vibrations
Vessel Make
Mainship 34T
Hi Everyone:

It's been many years since I boated, back in the late 1980's, and my boat was a twin-engine 30' Sea Ray Weekender. Now that I've semi-retired (I'll never completely quit), and have more time to 'waste', I'm getting back into the marine world. My wife and I hope to do some serious traveling around the Great Lakes, and maybe in a year or so, head south and do the "Loop".

The boat I'm considering is a 1986 Monk 42 Overseas with twin 150 hp Cummins 4-cyl diesels with about 3000 hours on each of them. It's had some refitting, including a custom hard-top over the flybridge and some cabin work. And apparently, the mechanicals have been properly maintained.

I understand that prior to the early 1990's, when Monks began to be built in Nova Scotia, they were built in Taiwan. Does anyone see this as a issue? Have either the off-shore or Canadian models met with any problems? I realize they were designed by Ed Monk Jr, so I'm inclined to believe they're good boats. Nevertheless, I've heard some unpleasant tales about Taiwanese quality.

We're obviously looking for a reasonable quality craft that is dependable, reasonably seaworthy and economical to operate. And we're not going to be in a hurry. Any advice or guidance you could offer would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom