Old 01-13-2021, 07:49 PM   #1

City: Bellingham
Vessel Model: 38 Californian
Trawler wanted

Hi all,
I am new to the forum and looking for a trawler. I have sailed thousands of miles but settling down in the Pacific NW, sold the sailboat but not ready to give up boating. I am working through the process, sailboat, motorboat, motorhome rest home. I would like to find a late 70's early 80' 35 to 38 foot two cabin trawler for $70,000 or less. I don't mind working on boats but don't want a project boat. A Pacific Trawler or Sundowner Tug would be nice. I would prefer it on the west coast in the US, British Columbia, Alaska or Mexico. I have enjoyed trips up and down the coast from Alaska to Panama and would be ok bringing it back to Bellingham WA. Thanks for your help looking for a new boat.
Ken Henderson
Hendersonkod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:02 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard. Too bad you are on the west coast because I am trying to decide if we want to sell ours or not.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:08 PM   #3

trawler wanted

I once shipped a 39" sailboat from Florida to Washington state. It cost $11,000 but the difference of value in Florida Vs Washington was nearly that amount. But that was 8 years ago. I have been through the Panama Canal but didn't really want to bring the trawler that far in spite of the adventure it would be.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

City: West Vancouver
Vessel Name: Treasure Hunt
Vessel Model: Marine Trader LaBelle 44
There is a 1979 38 ft Grand Mariner on YachtWorld Thunderbird Marine (Vancouver area) for about $US 71k. Sorry not able to copy the URL on my IPhone. It has been re-powered and has a decent tender. I was thinking of inspecting but the Admiral nixed it due to age.

I am in relative agreement not to go for a 40yr plus trawler, but if you are handy, then this might work. I think the Grand Mariners we see here in BC are Albins, but I am not certain.

Good luck and Happy New Year. Hoping that 2021 is going to end up in the right direction!

BR

Steve
Coppercove1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 10:33 AM   #5

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Carousel
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788 (1998)
Hi Ken,

Welcome aboard from one of your neighbors. We have also just started our search for our next boat. Looking to upsize. Once we find it our 34 CHB tri-cabin will be available. PM me if you are interested in a walk though and we can set up something. The boat is located in La Conner just south of you.

Ken
NWSeadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:38 AM   #6
TF Site Team

City: MX, thru Canal to Bahamas
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWSeadog View Post
Hi Ken,
Welcome aboard from one of your neighbors. We have also just started our search for our next boat. Looking to upsize. Once we find it our 34 CHB tri-cabin will be available. PM me if you are interested in a walk though and we can set up something. The boat is located in La Conner just south of you.
Ken

Ken, What are you looking to buy? We surveyed a boat last week in La Conner, which if a few issues are ironed out, we will end up purchasing.
slowgoesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 12:32 PM   #7

Hi Slowgoesit,

We are looking for something in the mid 40's. Large enough to be comfortable with guests on board and small enough to easily get around in marinas. As of yet we haven't settled down on a aft master cabin or a pilot house. What we like about the pilot houses is a lack of ladders. Something to think about as you get older. What we dislike is having to crawl in to the bed in the forward cabin. Still looking.

We walked by Papazia II yesterday to check it out. Great looking boat. Looks like it has long legs and would be at home in remote islands. Would love to take it south and through the Panama Canal.

Best wishes on ironing out the details.

Ken
Old 01-15-2021, 08:06 AM   #8
TF Site Team

City: MX, thru Canal to Bahamas
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
Ken, CHB's are nice boats, you shouldn't have any problems selling yours. Have you looked at Mainships? Lots of people speak really highly of them, but they don't appear to command the really high prices, like Grand Banks . . . which from my personal opinion don't deserve the prices people want for them. That coming from our ownership of a GB36. Just don't care for the layout, and lots of stuff done by original builder that was just not up to the level of quality it should have been.

We ARE planning on taking the new boat South and over to SE USA in about 2 years give or take. Warmer water there for fishing and diving! Like the larger tanks which don't have you being held hostage to the next fuel stop. Is your boat in the La Conner Marina? Or Shelter Bay?
slowgoesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 08:31 PM   #9

Slowgoesit,

We love our boat for the two of us. Just got it finished out with solar and know where everything is on the boat. I've just been informed by the higher ups that we need to go larger. So we spent the day out looking. Didn't find any must haves yet so still looking.

I love your plans only my co-pilot says that our travel area must be within sight of shore so no blue water for us. The boat is in the south basin of the La Conner marina under cover which I am going to miss when we upsize.

Feel free to hit me up if you need anything up here.
Old 01-15-2021, 09:45 PM   #10

going south

NW Seadog
I took my 39' sailboat twice to Mexico and beyond. We could have stayed within view of shore but it was sometime quicker to be farther off. If you watch the weather you can make very safe passages. It was a remarkable experience both times. Hopefully you can get a boat to be confident with and convince the crew. I am looking at a Californian 34 LRC this weekend in Anacortes. Are you planning to sell the CHB soon?
Ken Henderson
Bellingham
Old 01-16-2021, 12:30 AM   #11

Looks like we are crossing paths. We spent today in Anacortes looking at boats. No joy yet though. Our plan is to locate the next boat before we sell our current CHB. There is no timeframe yet.

While you are in Anacortes you might want to check with West Yachts at Cap Sante as they have a 36 foot Grand Banks for sale. Depending on what you are looking for it is a slower boat but with a bigger interior.

Good luck on your search.