Back to the sound

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltair

Hello,

I am in the process of getting back to the water after a 10 year hiatus. I was introduced to power boating at age 8 fishing with an uncle. That lead to an all out obsession with fishing as a young kid. I would cast a line off a bridge or a shore and later off my fathers 28 foot carver. Through my teens and into my 20's I was either working as a mate on a fishing boats or hauling gear on local work boats. I obtain a 100 ton license at 19 years old and then partnered with my dad on the next boat. A 36 foot egg harbor. We bought her old and neglected but after a few years of learning how to save a boat. She was beautiful and although I did more repairing than enjoying her. It was also fun just bringing her back. We sold her right about the time diesel fuel went from 1.30 a gallon to 3.50. It was a good move because she was heavy, wide and had two thirsty engines.

Now. Married, a house and three kids later I want to get back the the salt air and introduce my family to the joy I had as a kid growing up on the water. I am very rusty... More than 10 years since I ran a boat.

I always loved the lines of a trawlers and the comfort, roominess and economical performance is perfect for our lifestyle. I think a 36-40 foot single engine vessel with some work and repairs needed would fit our budget. Ive read that Taiwanese made trawlers have issues and may not always be built well but they are the boats that are in our price range. Any thoughts on a 1976 39 transpac?

I'd love to here any and all info on these boats so I can use the info to pick up the right boat for local family cruising. I'm not afraid of some work but I don't want another 2 year project that I remember both loving and hating.

Thanks
Nick

I always loved the lines of a trawlers and the comfort, roominess and economical performance is perfect for our lifestyle. I think a 36-40 foot single engine vessel with some work and repairs needed would fit our budget. Ive read that Taiwanese made trawlers have issues and may not always be built well but they are the boats that are in our price range. Any thoughts on a 1976 39 transpac?

I'd love to here any and all info on these boats so I can use the info to pick up the right boat for local family cruising. I'm not afraid of some work but I don't want another 2 year project that I remember both loving and hating.

Assume it is the 76 Transpac listed on Yachtworld. The info on it is a little sparse and there is an overall lack of transparency. The pics look nice but the brokers comments that "she is in the final stages of a restoration" seem to translate to "don't believe the pics". I did not notice a windlass, a bimini or davits. In was unclear if the rib and outboard come with the boat. No telling what the electrical system is like but many old Taiwanese boats of that vintage are a disaster. It doesn't have teak decks so that is a plus but there still could be soft spots. The engine has very low hours, is fairly new and the American Diesel/Ford Lehmans are a great engine. The fuel tanks are a big question mark as the originals are usually rusted badly. The electronics look old and older. Bottom blisters could also be an issue.

If you haven't already seen the boat, you would need to but it sounds to me like a 2 year project and a hefty budget. As usual, you would also need a good survey but given her uncertain state of restoration, the surveys might be limited. Did you notice the 1995 licensing sticker on the window by the helm? They would probably accept an as-is offer of $20K and praise the lord.

Hello Nick,
Welcome to the forum!

Ted

Assume it is the 76 Transpac listed on Yachtworld. The info on it is a little sparse and there is an overall lack of transparency. The pics look nice but the brokers comments that "she is in the final stages of a restoration" seem to translate to "don't believe the pics". I did not notice a windlass, a bimini or davits. In was unclear if the rib and outboard come with the boat. No telling what the electrical system is like but many old Taiwanese boats of that vintage are a disaster. It doesn't have teak decks so that is a plus but there still could be soft spots. The engine has very low hours, is fairly new and the American Diesel/Ford Lehmans are a great engine. The fuel tanks are a big question mark as the originals are usually rusted badly. The electronics look old and older. Bottom blisters could also be an issue.

If you haven't already seen the boat, you would need to but it sounds to me like a 2 year project and a hefty budget. As usual, you would also need a good survey but given her uncertain state of restoration, the surveys might be limited. Did you notice the 1995 licensing sticker on the window by the helm? They would probably accept an as-is offer of $20K and praise the lord.

Thanks for the info. I didn't notice that 95' sticker but it makes sense now. I probably still look her over when the snow melts. I remember all to well the de lamination and rot in multiple areas on my old egg harbor. The one thing I am looking forward too is a simpler boat. Single engine just leaves so much room to work. Although now not only will I be rusty at the helm but I won't have two engines to maneuver her into a tight slip.

Thanks again for the welcome.

Nick

Back
Top Bottom