Auto Pilot CC location

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TBed

Vessel Name
FinsUp!
Vessel Make
Mainship 34 Pilot
Hi all, first time posting on the forum and must say I am enjoying the advice and information being put out here each week.
Purchased a 2004 34’ Mainship Pilot last year and am in the process of updating the electronics. Can anyone out there give me an idea on where to find the factory installed course computer for the Raymarine auto pilot? After scouring the ER and removing seats to get under the helm I’m at my wits end with this. Thanks

Not all autopilots were installed by the factory and mine was installed by the dealer. The CC was behind the helm, but I assume you have looked there.

Another place is underneath the aft cabin cushion near the aft bulkhead. That would be the most logical as it is in between the helm control and the rudder and is easily accessible and inside the cabin not in the hot, damp engine room.

But if it is further back maybe it is near the rudder post. That isn't hot like the engine room but it sure can be damp.

David

First, I have no idea where it was installed but an idea of how to find the course computer. I would start from the control head( usually dash mounted),compass or rudder feedback and follow the wires to the computer. Good hunting.

Last edited:
On both Raymarine APs I’ve had the pump is connected to the CC with heavy gauge wire. If that is case you could start at the pump also. The CC isn’t all that big, maybe 7x8”. The give away is the large number of wires going to a terminal strip that is covered by a snap on cover. Those wires are DC power, pump, Seatalk 1 and possibly Seatalk NG, NMEA 0183, and rudder position sensor. The control head connects via Seatalk 1 most likely. If you have any other Raymarine devices such as wind instruments or chartplotters, the Seatalk 1 network cable may lead you to a junction block or one of them on the way to the CC.

Tom

The computer "Brain" should be easy to find based on the cabling size and physical size of the unit itself, but I was wondering if maybe you meant to say heading reference unit which is considerably smaller and usually mounted up low and forward in boats.

Oh, and welcome aboard!!

Thanks David. Did a good search near the rudder post and the whole stern area of the boat. All of the wiring and control cables meet forward of the starboard fuel tank and are routed up to the helm in a 4” bundle which then emerges through the helm bulkhead. (Complete helm raises up to reveal underside of dash) From ER to helm very difficult to see if any wires branch off and then rejoin bundle. I agree that it should be somewhere besides the engine room so I’m going to look for additional access points around the helm. btw... the reason I think it was factory installed is that the autohelm wiring is mixed within that 4” bundle but I may be wrong on that. I know this is pretty boat specific so but hoping someone with a early 2000s Mainship may have run into this.

Thanks Tom, that was going to be my first effort this morning...trace the pump wiring as far as I can... Tom

Well I found it and may I say that the Mainship worker who installed it is one cruel S.O.B. Hidden behind the generator blower against the hull I can only reach it with one arm because the generator is in the way. Should still be able to salvage the necessary wiring to connect to the new unit. Thanks again for the help!

Good news! hope the wiring works out.

Back
Top Bottom