Another new member

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Urp99

Vessel Name
Starfire
Vessel Make
1973 Uniflite 36 Twin Cabin
Good morning, and hello from Alaska. I'm a new member, and new big boat owner. I grew up in Wisconsin, and 15 to 20 foot open runabouts were more than adequate where I lived. I moved to Homer AK 3 years ago however, and purchased a 36 foot Uniflite twin cabin this past spring. Not really a trawler as it has a planing hull, but I'll most likely be doing trawler speed 99% of the time with the price of fuel. Anyway, it's a 1973 boat that needs a bit of TLC, and I've been doing a lot of research on the internet, and stumbled across this forum while researching the vacu-flush toilet system. The level of help and politeness of the members was impressive, and I wanted to join your community. My name is Barrett by the way, nice to meet everyone.

Welcome to TF. You are now home, as it were - in a boating sense, that is... :flowers:

Good morning, and hello from Alaska. I'm a new member, and new big boat owner. I grew up in Wisconsin, and 15 to 20 foot open runabouts were more than adequate where I lived. I moved to Homer AK 3 years ago however, and purchased a 36 foot Uniflite twin cabin this past spring. Not really a trawler as it has a planing hull, but I'll most likely be doing trawler speed 99% of the time with the price of fuel. Anyway, it's a 1973 boat that needs a bit of TLC, and I've been doing a lot of research on the internet, and stumbled across this forum while researching the vacu-flush toilet system. The level of help and politeness of the members was impressive, and I wanted to join your community. My name is Barrett by the way, nice to meet everyone.

Welcome Barrett. Can you provide photos??... TF members love photos. You know - "worth a thousand words", and all that stuff.

BTW - Engine and transmission brands?

So... 1973 Uni. A good year for Uniflite. 73 is the last year before U.S. govt demanded that Uniflite use a specific new fire retardant mixture in resin and gel coat for the many thousand 31' hulls Uni provided as Vietnam Delta patrol craft. From that point on; Uniflite HQ decided to use that new mixture in all their boats. Unfortunately for Uni HQ and for nearly all Uni buyers from 1974 on... in just a few years from original build-out of a boat that new fire retardant mixture would create hundreds to thousands of fiberglass blisters throughout most locations on each of those boats. Class action suit prevailed and sunk [pun intended] Uniflite boat building company into bankruptcy, which soon threw Uniflite company into oblivion.

Too bad - Uniflites were/are well built boats. I owned a 1973 31' sedan.

Best luck with your "new" Uni!!

Art

Attachments

• 101_0042.jpg
    101_0042.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 22

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom