Albin 43 Bob

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bobismoi

Hello,
What a delightful forum.
I hope to contribute and assist others but for now, I have a question.
I am considering aquireing a 1985 Albin 43 classic. Not my first Albin trawler nor is it my first Lehmann. My previous Lehmann was a conventionally aspirated 135. We used to take her back and forth from Los Angeles to Catalina at an idle or just a hair above, the whole way. The one I am considering is a Lehmann 2728T. A Turbo with 225 HP.
I cannot find much info on this engine. My understanding is the engine love low speeds with adequate oil pressure but the turbo hates idling. I was hoping to find another boat that I could set at a 50 mile Circle and just enjoy the breeze.
Turbo tells me it is set up for hard & higher speeds. She has 6,000 hours, and I have read that is low for that age and could expect 15 - 20,000 hours if maintained properly and always let the Turbo cool down before shutting down.
I sure hope you kind folks can share your experience or direct me to more truths so I can make an informed decision.
Following seas to all,
Bob

Welcome aboard. We had SP225s in our last boat. They were fine. We used to cruise about 1,600 to 1,800 RPMs. Parts are available except for the aftercooler. Brian said they aren’t available anymore. You can easily bypass the aftercooler and it will then be a 180. No other necessary adjustments needed, jusr run a water hose around it and you are done. I never had to do anything except routing maintenance.

Lots of clues on bypassing the turbo on a 225, it might add to the life of the engine but it may be too late for that. Not that the engine is getting toward it's demise but it has a lot of turbo hours on it.

I would just leave it as is and get the engine operating temp up around 180, should last a long time.

pete

It isn’t so much as t add to the life of the engine, more if the aftercooler goes bad you can just bypass it and still have a running engine.

Back
Top Bottom