Old 12-24-2012, 05:40 PM   #1

City: QCYC SEATTLE
Vessel Name: SURPRISE
Vessel Model: Uniflite 37 Coastal Cruiser
Ahoy from Seattle

Just signed up, this looks like a pretty active forum! I'm an old forum user (motorcycles, cars) and a soon-to-be retired member of the yacht business (repairer, installer, surveyor) - been at it 30 years. It wasn't my chosen field, but I ended up there because of my seemingly incurable addiction to boats. Been hooked since I drove my first one at age 5.

So, anyway, Howdy, y'all! And Happy Holidaze!
Gnorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:27 PM   #2
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Got me beat by a few years as I didn't get into boats till I was 12. Built a canvas covered kayak at that age in 1951. Got into aviation for 20 years and the only boating I didn't stop doing was canoeing.

Gnorts I see your boat's name is "Surprise". The man that does the Wagoner Cruise Guide had a 37' Tolly by that name. Obviously it was a well known boat.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:33 PM   #3
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Gnorts, welcome aboard. You and I have probably been boating about the same amount of years, but your experience level is waaaaaay beyond mine. Glad to have you here!
Old 12-25-2012, 03:34 AM   #4
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Hi Gnorts,

Welcome, I'm new here myself and new to power boating, but have had a sailboat for many years, (San Juan 23). So do you still ride? I have been motorcycling since I was 14. I still ride a Moto Guzzi in the states and have a K75 here in England.

Cheers
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Blaine, Washington
Vessel Name: Knot@work
Vessel Model: North Pacific Yachts '28 Trawler
Hey Eric;

Did you check your PM a couple of days ago?

Merry Christmas;

Ed
edthefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Got me beat by a few years as I didn't get into boats till I was 12. Built a canvas covered kayak at that age in 1951. Got into aviation for 20 years and the only boating I didn't stop doing was canoeing.

Gnorts I see your boat's name is "Surprise". The man that does the Wagoner Cruise Guide had a 37' Tolly by that name. Obviously it was a well known boat.
Yes, we discovered that after we named her. Another namesake is the fictional HMS Surprise, under Capt. Jack Awbrey's command in the Patrick O'Brian stories. My wife Heather and I named her because of our discovery of each other late in life, and our discovery of such a well-equipped boat for so little money!

The Tolly 37 was high on our list during our boat search, but this one won out!
Old 12-25-2012, 03:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhmeissner View Post
Hi Gnorts,

Welcome, I'm new here myself and new to power boating, but have had a sailboat for many years, (San Juan 23). So do you still ride? I have been motorcycling since I was 14. I still ride a Moto Guzzi in the states and have a K75 here in England.

Cheers
Yeah, I still ride, but not as much as I used to, since I got married and bought a boat! Nice to see a fellow Guzzista here! I ride a Griso 1100, and also have a Honda ST1300.

I'm also an ex-sailor, lived aboard and cruised a 34ft Victoria, built in the UK, for 19 years until my knees wore out. Now I'm a happy stinkpotter!

You're from Seattle, but also live in the UK?
Old 12-27-2012, 05:08 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnorts View Post
Yeah, I still ride, but not as much as I used to, since I got married and bought a boat! Nice to see a fellow Guzzista here! I ride a Griso 1100, and also have a Honda ST1300.

I'm also an ex-sailor, lived aboard and cruised a 34ft Victoria, built in the UK, for 19 years until my knees wore out. Now I'm a happy stinkpotter!

You're from Seattle, but also live in the UK?
Yes at the moment we live in Ipswich, Suffolk. I work for a Seattle instrument manufacturer and am coming to the end of a 2 year stint here. Ipswich actually has a very nice waterfront. The Orwell river comes to Ipswich, so we do get our "boat fix" when we need it. It's a fantastic part of England. We'll be back for good around July and we can start enjoying the water. We have The Promise at the Canal Marina on the Freemont cut.

Fair winds...
Old 12-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #9

When you get back to Seattle and get back on that Guzzi, ride on out to Enumclaw on the first Saturday of the month for the local Guzzi club breakfast! 9AM, rain or shine, at the Krain Corner Cafe, 39929 264th Ave Se, Enumclaw, WA 98022 - that's SR189 north of town.

See you there, maybe...and if you like forums, here's one that I hang out in occasionally:

illuminati guzzisti :: View Forum - illuminati guzzisti discussion

John
Old 12-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #10
Guru

I had always wanted to do that breakfast ride, but something always came up, or I slept in or something, but when we get back I will make it a priority. I've been on the Wildgoose site as "Palouse Rider", but haven't been very active especially lately.

Cheers