Old 12-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #1

City: Fredericton, NB
Ahoy from Atlantic Canada

Hello,
I’m happy to have discovered your site and am happy I joined. I’ve been dreaming a long time and am officially starting my homework toward possible trawler ownership for our family of four. We love boats and love the water.
I grew up around boats in Atlantic Canada and spent my summers in Bouctouche Bay, New Brunswick in dories and runabouts and helped out on fishing boats in the Northumberland Straight during lobster season.
I’ve owned various small boats from 14’to 27’ over the years. I currently own a 22’ Walkaround sport fishing boat (although I don’t really fish much).
I live on the Saint John River in New Brunswick and moor our boat in front of our house. When on vacation, we trailer our boat to the coast 2 hours away where my wife is from and keep it in a slip at the local fishermen’s’ wharf.
I’ve never really enjoyed going fast on the water. I like cruising with family and friends and just being on the water. I prefer a displacement hull over planing.
I assume buying a trawler type boat is a big (no… huge) commitment, but here’s my thinking……
Growing up, my family owned a cottage on the coast. My father paid $800 for the land and built a nice little cottage for us there. Many families I grew up with had a cottage. It was common and affordable. Today, a small lot similar to my father’s would be in excess of $100k, without a building on it. Assuming a person can buy a small cottage, the taxes alone are over $5K per year (secondary, luxury residence property taxes here). On top of that, you have your insurance, maintenance, utilities, etc.
I’m thinking of purchasing a trawler as our “cottage” while we’re still working; we’re in our 40’s. PS: I work for the Water Survey of Canada.
I realize a boat is not an investment and would depreciate as opposed to an actual cottage on land, but I’m thinking this would be more affordable and would also keep us on the water.
Looking at prices, I’ve seen basket cases under $10k to “the sky’s the limit”. I’m still trying to determine my budget but am thinking of a purchase in 5 to 7 years from now and likely $40k to $65k as an initial price range.
As a “cottage on the water” I would like accommodations for my wife and I and our 2 children.
Here are some of the features I “think” I would like:
· Center line queen bed aft
· Dual station with fly bridge
· Full size fridge in galley
· Separate cabin for children/guests (bunks)
· Gen set
· 2 heads (hot/cold water of course)
· Fibreglass hull and superstructures
· Safe easy access on decks from stern to bow (walk around)
· Closed cooling for engine(s)
· Navigational electronics
I still don’t know if I should look for: single or twin screws; diesel or gas (I assume diesel); thrusters; Teak decks or all glass; North American vs. Asian makes; on board washer/dryers; heating/air conditioning; tenders; etc… I want to learn!!!
I may be describing a house boat but I do plan on coastal cruising in the Northumberland Straight and hope to make longer journeys in the future.
Our idea is to keep the boat at the marina on the coast where my wife is from and weekend and holiday on it.
By joining the trawler forum, I’m hoping to gain knowledge to help me make an informed decision on weather not to buy a trawler and if yes, “what” to buy.
I’ve always been a marina rat, stopping by any marina along my travels just to look at the boats and maybe talk to a fellow boater.
There aren’t many trawlers in these parts; there aren’t many people, and the season is quite short. I’m struggling with how I’ll determine what “ride” I like (the cape style lobster boats I worked were quite roly poly and I can still smell the diesel fumes) and what configuration and layout I would prefer. I quickly looked up what a charter would cost and $6500 to $25000 per week seems a little steep to try and see if I like trawlers… I’m hoping to incorporate a few visits to marinas next year on our trip to Florida just to “look around”.
Anyway, to sum up my long winded introduction, thank-you for having me on your site and I look forward to reading, learning, and hopefully sharing.
Thank-you
luckyluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:30 AM   #2
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyluke View Post
Hello,
I’m happy to have discovered your site and am happy I joined. I’ve been dreaming a long time and am officially starting my homework toward possible trawler ownership for our family of four. We love boats and love the water.
I grew up around boats in Atlantic Canada and spent my summers in Bouctouche Bay, New Brunswick in dories and runabouts and helped out on fishing boats in the Northumberland Straight during lobster season.
I’ve owned various small boats from 14’to 27’ over the years. I currently own a 22’ Walkaround sport fishing boat (although I don’t really fish much).
I live on the Saint John River in New Brunswick and moor our boat in front of our house. When on vacation, we trailer our boat to the coast 2 hours away where my wife is from and keep it in a slip at the local fishermen’s’ wharf.
I’ve never really enjoyed going fast on the water. I like cruising with family and friends and just being on the water. I prefer a displacement hull over planing.
I assume buying a trawler type boat is a big (no… huge) commitment, but here’s my thinking……
Growing up, my family owned a cottage on the coast. My father paid $800 for the land and built a nice little cottage for us there. Many families I grew up with had a cottage. It was common and affordable. Today, a small lot similar to my father’s would be in excess of $100k, without a building on it. Assuming a person can buy a small cottage, the taxes alone are over $5K per year (secondary, luxury residence property taxes here). On top of that, you have your insurance, maintenance, utilities, etc.
I’m thinking of purchasing a trawler as our “cottage” while we’re still working; we’re in our 40’s. PS: I work for the Water Survey of Canada.
I realize a boat is not an investment and would depreciate as opposed to an actual cottage on land, but I’m thinking this would be more affordable and would also keep us on the water.
Looking at prices, I’ve seen basket cases under $10k to “the sky’s the limit”. I’m still trying to determine my budget but am thinking of a purchase in 5 to 7 years from now and likely $40k to $65k as an initial price range.
As a “cottage on the water” I would like accommodations for my wife and I and our 2 children.
Here are some of the features I “think” I would like:
· Center line queen bed aft
· Dual station with fly bridge
· Full size fridge in galley
· Separate cabin for children/guests (bunks)
· Gen set
· 2 heads (hot/cold water of course)
· Fibreglass hull and superstructures
· Safe easy access on decks from stern to bow (walk around)
· Closed cooling for engine(s)
· Navigational electronics
I still don’t know if I should look for: single or twin screws; diesel or gas (I assume diesel); thrusters; Teak decks or all glass; North American vs. Asian makes; on board washer/dryers; heating/air conditioning; tenders; etc… I want to learn!!!
I may be describing a house boat but I do plan on coastal cruising in the Northumberland Straight and hope to make longer journeys in the future.
Our idea is to keep the boat at the marina on the coast where my wife is from and weekend and holiday on it.
By joining the trawler forum, I’m hoping to gain knowledge to help me make an informed decision on weather not to buy a trawler and if yes, “what” to buy.
I’ve always been a marina rat, stopping by any marina along my travels just to look at the boats and maybe talk to a fellow boater.
There aren’t many trawlers in these parts; there aren’t many people, and the season is quite short. I’m struggling with how I’ll determine what “ride” I like (the cape style lobster boats I worked were quite roly poly and I can still smell the diesel fumes) and what configuration and layout I would prefer. I quickly looked up what a charter would cost and $6500 to $25000 per week seems a little steep to try and see if I like trawlers… I’m hoping to incorporate a few visits to marinas next year on our trip to Florida just to “look around”.
Anyway, to sum up my long winded introduction, thank-you for having me on your site and I look forward to reading, learning, and hopefully sharing.
Thank-you
First off Welcome Aboard!!

To answer some of your questions: Thrusters: There always a plus!
Twin Screw or Single Screw: Thats your personal preference you'll find there's a couple longthreads on that discussion.
Diesel: Yep, always want diesel in my opinion.
Teak Decks: There inevitable on particularly asian trawlers but many North American brands have them to, I would go for a glassed deck. But you should be fine with teak if there are no soft spots.
Washer Dryer: Depends on how large of a boat.

And one thing i saw "Closed Cooling" so you want keel cooling. I believe Nordhavn is the only production boat that has a Keel cooling option. Although it wouldn't be that hard to add one, i would think.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Mr. ll. Why wait 5 to 7 years? Do it now....At least start looking seriously. Never know what might pop up. Just sayin'
Old 12-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #4
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Welcome and agree with Mr RTF, why wait?

We are the same age and in a similar holding pattern so purchased a sub 30' cabin cruiser to scratch our itch for a larger trawler. Family of 4 enjoys it immensely and it makes for a very inexpensive way to test drive the lifestyle.

Hang around long enough and you'll find your niche.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 12:38 PM   #5

City: newfoundland
Vessel Name: E.E.S.
Vessel Model: 38' Northumberland
Welcome aboard Oliver,

Read and learn, you will find all the info needed here that will lead you towards the type of boat that will suit your needs and you have a LOT to learn, especially in the areas that you have mentioned, be it the infamous rip tides of the Bay of Fundy or the unpredictable conditions of the Northumberland straits.

My Boat is on the hard in Tracadie NB for the winter, I will be bringing her home to NE Newfoundland in the spring, it took me a long time to tick all the boxes and I don't think I could have done it without the expert help from the TF members.
robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #6

City: Fredericton, NB
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie View Post
Welcome aboard Oliver,

Read and learn, you will find all the info needed here that will lead you towards the type of boat that will suit your needs and you have a LOT to learn, especially in the areas that you have mentioned, be it the infamous rip tides of the Bay of Fundy or the unpredictable conditions of the Northumberland straits.

My Boat is on the hard in Tracadie NB for the winter, I will be bringing her home to NE Newfoundland in the spring, it took me a long time to tick all the boxes and I don't think I could have done it without the expert help from the TF members.
Thanks Robbie, my name is Luc; although my son's name is Olivier. We're acadiens. It looks like an Acadian flag on your avatar.

I drive through and stay in Tracadie quite often for work. Are you sailing her from there to Newfoundland?
luckyluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:36 PM   #7

City: newfoundland
Vessel Name: E.E.S.
Vessel Model: 38' Northumberland
Excuse moi Luc,
Yes we intend to sail her home sometime in Late March as soon as the ice is out and there's a decent weather window, I say "we" thankfully I'm in contact with the son of the original owner, he's a lobster fisherman, he also did the complete refit on the boat a few years ago, so he knows the boat really well.

So over the winter I'm having the GPS/plotter updated and he's delving into the steering to track down some excess play I found during the sea trials..can't be too careful!!.

There's some pics on my profile page, PM me if you want any info
robbie is offline   Reply With Quote