Old 12-23-2018, 09:09 AM   #21

City: Alphen A D Rijn
Vessel Name: ASHA
Vessel Model: Beneteau Oceanis 44 cc Clipper
Well, nice story.
One comment. A sailboat mostly don't take full headwind. You can't sail into the wind as you know so we ride it mostly on max. 45 degrees. In heavy seas we have to lower sailarea, we are not in a race and we want to keep everything in good shape. Sometimes we have to take the wind on the bow under engine if you follow a lane for example. If green water comes on deck we reduce speed. Our boat also will take green water on deck if the circumstances are there, we have to adjust course or speed to avoid that. Good seamanship is riding the storm as best as possible, run away from it or seek shelter.

I understand your concerns.
Fyi, I am a newby on the forum but not at sea. Raised on a motorboat in the Delta of the Netherlands, retired Royal Navy after 34 years of duty and an Ocean Tugboat Captain for 5 years now with two times rounding of Cape of Good Hope from west to east I think what to expect at sea.
But please keep going on replying on my posts.
I am never too old to learn, that's why I am here for.

John

Verschuijten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 04:44 PM   #22

Dutch trawler?

Hi John,

we just bought a Bekebrede trawler:
https://www.seaindependent.es/yachts...BoCIFQQAvD_BwE

We saw many other nice boats, all steel or aluminium, for example:
http://www.sleeuwijkyachting.nl/details/48496/vripack-trawler-1550/

Gebruikte boot details | Jansma Jacht

https://www.sleeuwijkyachting.nl/det...Botentekoop.nl

Gebruikte boot details | Jansma Jacht

Also intersting:

https://www.devalk.nl/en/yachtbrokerage/452158/LORD-NELSON-49-VICTORY-TUG.html

https://www.trawlers-yachting.com/en...oats/selene-43

Good luck!

Marco

sicconim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 03:17 PM   #23

City: Pueblo West, Co
Vessel Name: GOTCHA
Vessel Model: DeFever 59-B PH
Ahoy Alaskan 49 RP - Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
With all due respect I am not sure that the Alaskan 49 that you are interested in can handle blue water conditions. Yes it has a lot of fuel tankage. But here are some criteria to consider:

1. Hull ballast (not sure this boat has any)
2. Windows that can withstand slugs of blue water
3. Engine ventilation that will let it withstand significant heeling without downflooding
4. Doors that can withstand significant heeling.

The list goes on and on.

As nice as Alaskan's are I think they are really coastal cruisers. But join the Grand Banks owner forum and ask Bob Lowe. He owns or used to own an Alaskan and is a retired boat yard owner.

In general there are lots of sailboats like your Beneteau that can handle blue water passages, but few trawlers can.

David

I happen to own an Alaskan 49 PH. David is correct on the issues, but they can be corrected very easily. I will address them as listed and our corrections.

1. Hull ballast (not sure this boat has any). The 49 does not have any ballast other than engines and tankage. My correction was to place 4000 pounds of lead ingots distributed along the keel under the staterooms. That did increase the draft by 6", but the boat rode much better and reduced the roll.

2. Windows that can withstand slugs of blue water. The PH windows are strong, but not toughened glass. The PH is protected by a Portuguese bridge wall that WILL deflect green water over the front glass. Also the glass can be easily replaced with 5/8" tempered glass.
The side windows need storm shields installed of 1/2" plexiglass ( as do Nordhavns ). This is easy and very inexpensive. The portholes must be dogged down at all times. The Nordhavns also ad inside SS covers which can be added to most any boat.

3. Engine ventilation that will let it withstand significant heeling without downflooding.
That is a problem but can be improved. The intake vents are on the outside of the hull which does allow big waves to be washed in. My correction was to remove the outside intakes, and place them in the inside hull channels facing to the rear. The exhaust vent is powered and exits on the main cabin roof.

4. Doors that can withstand significant heeling. All doors are fairly strong and we added double locking laches to all doors. They are also kept locked in any heavy weather.
I have personally seen 9' close seas on the beam with 50 deg. rolls and the boat was ready for more. But my wife was not so we altered course and tacked for a few hours.

I know this boat is not as good as a 50' Nordhavn, but will most likely take more seas and weather than the captain and crew. Just be sure EVERYTHING is bolted or fastened down. Check the galley twice.

Lee
fgarriso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:54 PM   #24

City: Alphen A D Rijn
Vessel Name: ASHA
Vessel Model: Beneteau Oceanis 44 cc Clipper
Hi Marco,

That Brekebrede is a very stunning boat. Congratulations.
I look forward for more interesting boats, preferable in the European market. But no hurry.

John

Verschuijten is offline   Reply With Quote