About to be an Albin owner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RiverDawg

Vessel Name
?
Vessel Make
Albin 36/ 1990
:thumb: We are taking the plunge into the Albin owners pool. We haven't even brought it home yet, but the transaction is nearly done. She is a '90 Albin 36 with a single Cummins diesel. The windows leak (newsflash) and the teak could use some oil or varnish, but it's all there and we are looking fwd to enjoying many hours on the water. The teak on the main deck has been removed and glassed, but there is still teak on the topside deck. There is much to do before it will "stand out in the crowd", but I'm looking fwd to getting to work on "the list" one thing at a time.

Congrats and welcome! Now get to work you don't have time to be here on the internet:eek:

:thumb: We are taking the plunge into the Albin owners pool. We haven't even brought it home yet, but the transaction is nearly done. She is a '90 Albin 36 with a single Cummins diesel. The windows leak (newsflash) and the teak could use some oil or varnish, but it's all there and we are looking fwd to enjoying many hours on the water. The teak on the main deck has been removed and glassed, but there is still teak on the topside deck. There is much to do before it will "stand out in the crowd", but I'm looking fwd to getting to work on "the list" one thing at a time.

Good luck!

My list keeps growing faster than I'm able to check off the old projects..:eek:

Welcome aboard. Which St. Marys are you at -- Georgia???

John

Happy to be a Ga Dawg!

Yes, we moved here from Charleston, SC 17 yrs ago and there's no going back except for visits. I tell folks when they ask where St. Marys is; "we're as far south and east as you can go in Georgia." :socool:

Yes, we moved here from Charleston, SC 17 yrs ago and there's no going back except for visits. I tell folks when they ask where St. Marys is; "we're as far south and east as you can go in Georgia." :socool:
If you like...stay in touch as I will be passing through in January and March.

You can see what a relatively rebuilt Albin looks like....:D

Congratulations! The 36 with its classic lines is one of the prettiest boats afloat. The Albins have their faults & quality control issues like all the rest but they are a great, solid, well designed boat. The wife & I looked at countless others and found them all to be remarkably similar and difficult to choose from. While the Albins were a little pricier than many, we picked Albin because it filled most of the "must haves" on our shopping list. I also felt that as the oldest builder on the planet they simply had to have learned a thing or two along the way. We were not disappointed..... but confess I have found occasion to curse them from time to time.

The fact your anxious to roll up your sleeves before you have even taken delivery says it all about positive attitude and character, good luck! I found no matter how obscure the task, there are a lot of great knowledgeable folks "here" and on the Albin Owners Site that are an invaluable resource.

Congratulations, the classics are great. I've spent the past year getting ours ready and we just started the loop. I don't think there is a system I haven't had to work on so feel free to contact me off line if you have any questions. I'm in the North Channel so internet is iffy.

The good news is the engine hopefully a new upgrade and hopefully some of the engine and fuel systems along the way came too.

I was shocked at how bad these boats as well as many others were thrown together in the 80's...while better than some...the engineering and lack of detail of how they are put together does not suffer inattention well. Some years and particular boats are better than others...I have heard that two different yards were used and some did better than others...so again...don't be shocked if and when some issues become more than you would think unless you or the previous owner nip them in the bud.

The good news if you are handy and got her for a decent price...bringng them back can be done...just what you want to do and how much is the eternal answer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom