'74 Pacific Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Cathryn Grace
Vessel Make
Pacific Trawler
Hello Captains,et al,

We have jumped in feet first and bought an old 37' Pacific Trawler.
She is in need of some cosmetic updates but has loads of potential.

3800 hours on the original Lehman engine.

The previous owners had er since day one and had some amazing adventures, from BC to ALASKA and south to MEXICO.

Looking forward to many more adventures.

IF by chance folks have brochures and drawings for the PAcific Trawler, Id be most appreciative.

Cathryn Grace

Heres a couple pics...

More to follow.

FYI, she has the original Holding tank and pumps!!!
SS Water tanks (200+G)
Steel Fuel tanks (400G) Wondering when a steel tank would have been put it?

Attachments

• IMG_1253.jpg
    IMG_1253.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1157.jpg
    IMG_1157.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 26
Hi Mark.

I've responded to your other emails.

Welcome aboard Trawler Forum and Pacific Trawler ownership!

Since WESTERLY was built in 1973/74, our boats have a number of similarities.

I doubt that it originally came with a holding tank, that was probably added later.

WESTERLY also has steel fuel tanks of about 360 gallons capacity, they are properly fitted with bowl sumps, which means that you can generally keep the water out of the fuel by routine draining. If maintained, the tanks will last a very long time as mine have (1973).

The fresh water tanks are also about 200 gallons and stainless steel - original and doing well.

WESTERLY originally came with a 150HP Bedford (English GM) diesel, but most of the later boats (including yours) came with the 120HP Lehman (English Ford).

WESTERLY was repowered with a 210HP Cummins in 1988, and just clicked over 9200 hours. Your Lehman, if well maintained, can easily go longer.

Good luck on your adventure.

Jay N

Last edited:
If you keep water out of the the steel tanks, they last a long time. Mine are from 1942.

I certainly like the looks of these Pacific Trawlers, salty looking girls! She has had a lot of water pass under her keel, treat her to more!

I think those steel tanks went in before they put in the cabin sole. In other words, original equipment.

They generally last about 30 years.Well taken care of ones will last twice that amount.

Pete

I think those steel tanks went in before they put in the cabin sole. In other words, original equipment.

They generally last about 30 years.Well taken care of ones will last twice that amount.

Pete

The ones on Elmore lasted 120 years..

Welcome aboard the forum. Your PT is a fine boat. Maybe our paths will cross in the Islands one day?

If you keep water out of the the steel tanks, they last a long time. Mine are from 1942.
Like he said, and yes, welcome to the forum. If they have the bowl sump, your tanks are good to go for years yet, with frequent draining of water based crud out of the tanks, and making sure no water is in contact underneath or able to leak in on top of them.

Actually, I have never understood why so many boats have the fuel feed through a pick-up that is shy of the bottom, with crud build-up guaranteed, when by draining from the bottom, the fuel is in effect being polished continually with no crud accumulation possible.

Because this bottom sludge inevitably gets stirred up in bad weather and eventually blocks filters. My boat had modified tanks that drew from the bottom linked in such a way they always drained evenly, and the fuel filters stayed clean for years. The only advantage I have been able to conceive for the top mounted fuel pick-up is avoiding a possible leak from the bottom take-off point, but that's hardly difficult to achieve done properly. Am I missing some other advantage anyone..?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom