50 McLaren trawler Sydney

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adorochelle

Vessel Name
parmer
Vessel Make
mclaren trawler Trawler50ft
I thought I would say hello as I just got my new girl parmer.

ForumRunner_20130626_112414.jpg

Welcome aboard

Good to have you aboard with that comfortable looking craft.

Is that Sidney, BC or Au?

Welcome

Welcome adorochelle
The McLarens are a solid Aussie boat. There are some real beaut's around.

Her's another 50 footer with a 2nd level.

Attachments

• McLaren.jpg
    McLaren.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 206
That is nice looks like one at akuna bay

I have two fuel tanks and think only need one 1500 ltr ¿?? Lots of room if cut out stainless tank it's capped off now

Mate ,
If you are going to do any serious cruising on the Aussie coast don't go getting rid of fuel tanks.
You can make water but you can't make diesel and we have a lot of areas where diesel is not available.
I have 3,000 lts on board Tidahapah and previously when I had the Fiat I also carried a 500 lt bladder on the back deck for long trips such as round trips to the swains and outer reef.
With the Gardner and extra solar panels I am using less fuel so don't require the bladder.
I installed a water maker some years ago and so decreased my water capacity by 1000 lts but I can now carry more beer and wine. (bottles, as I don't like cask crap)

mate just my thoughts after cruising the coast for the last 17 years.
Cheers
Benn

Thanks for the heads up on the tanks makes good sence to have lots of fuel but 1500 ltr will get me some distance. what's the best thing to replace wood rot with on my decks other than wood I was thinking epoxy filler I need advice thanks Adrian.

Mate what sort of engine and what HP is it.
If you are burning 15 lts /hr for 8 knots that only gives you a range of about 700 miles with a 10% margin. Also have to factor in gen set fuel so that comes down a bit after a couple of weeks away.
Easier to leave serviceable tanks in than try and reinstall them later.

Decks, what sort are they? glassed over ply, beech timber decks or what.
If they are ply then cut out all the rot and then some and reply and glass it using epoxy. Don't forget to give the joins a good scarf so that a strong join is achieved.
Beech/teak decks probably best to pull them up and lay down some 18 mm marine ply and glass it.
Good beech decks could probably be re caulked and sealed , depends on the condition.

Cheers
Benn

Thanks it's spotted gum it's where the bulwark meets the deck up the front just two so far dug away the wet stuff will let dry then spray wood preserver then fill I think

Just be careful if you are just digging away the soft stuff as if you don't cut it back well into solid timber even if saturated with epoxy wood preserver it will bite you on the arse in a couple of years time and probably in a big way.
Sounds like it may be the deck clamp, if so I would be renewing this in some good spotted gum and saturate that with preserver. Even though spotted gum is not supposed to rot I have disproved that theory a few rimes recently.
Have you got a good traditional timber boat builder who you can call in for advice, not a swimming pool builder.

Cheers
Benn

Just got my self a diesel heater she will love it and so will i

Anyone put a gas instant hot water in there boat as I don't want to run geny for hour for hot water

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom