36 Albin owner finally time to post

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SilvIA

Vessel Name
Sweet Thursday
Vessel Make
Albin aft cabin trawler
We have been using the site for the last 3 years and have learned a lot that helped us before, during and after our purchase of our 1978 36' Albin aft cabin trawler. We think it is about time to finally introduce ourselves and join the discussion. We are a retired couple from the Midwest and the Albin is our first trawler. We purchased her last year to use as a training boat (for us) in preparation for the purchase of a new custom boat that will be ready this summer. We will give details of the new boat in future posts after she is launched:)
The Albin was a liveaboard in a covered slip in Everett WA when we bought her and we were able to keep her in the covered slip. The interior and brightwork were in very good condition when we bought her so we concentrated on upgrading the electrical and mechanical systems. Before we took ownership of her we had a new damper plate installed, the transmission pressure tested and new seals installed, a new shaft packing and cutlass bearing installed and the prop cleaned and balanced. We were lucky that the heat exchangers, oil coolers and exhaust all looked quite new even though they had not been used in at least 3 years. The boat also had new batteries and a new head and black tank for the master berth.
The boat has a single 120 Lehman diesel and I was very concerned about running and docking without a second engine or thruster (especially since we were new to running a boat this large). We even had someone lined up to install a bow thruster. I am glad we did not have the thruster installed since I have found that it is a lot easier to maneuver a single screw than I expected (although we did spend quite a bit of time practicing). We have had the boat out over 20 times since we have owned it including a couple of overnight trips to Port Townsend and it has performed flawlessly.

Attachments

• Sweet Thursday3.jpg
    Sweet Thursday3.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 12
  • Sweet Thursday1.jpg
    Sweet Thursday1.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 12
  • Sweet Thursday14.jpg
    Sweet Thursday14.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Sweet Thursday18.jpg
    Sweet Thursday18.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Sweet Thursday29.jpg
    Sweet Thursday29.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 16
A couple of pictures of the very clean bilge and engine compartment.

Attachments

• Sweet Thursday12.jpg
    Sweet Thursday12.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Sweet Thursday8.jpg
    Sweet Thursday8.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Sweet Thursday9.jpg
    Sweet Thursday9.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 11
Welcome aboard and congrats on your new boat. Looks very nice.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom