Old 10-09-2020, 03:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Hale Moku
Vessel Model: 4788 Bayliner
Polywog metamorphosis

Not a complete polywog...got some stubbles of legs but looking to complete my metamorphosis. Have owned sailboats 22’, 24 & 19 ft boats, campers on the water, fishing boats, worked on a100’ fish boat, have a canoe and kayaks...but the wife and I are ready for the big pond. We are done with our 11th buy-fix-sell house. We are both retired and live in the land of the “Salish sea”. So why not take advantage of that...ok...let’s buy and move on the boat. We are here for 6 months and in the desert for 6 months. We have been touring boats, looking at boats, reading all that we can about boat...which is why I am here. We just love this site with all the good info, tips, tricks, pit falls and advice. I was on submarines for years...raised on em as my dad was a lifer. Could not find one to buy that would accommodate our needs so...the search continues. Big issue: we own a Shelty dog that will need to adapt. So a boat with a complete walk around is a must. I am not a fan of a large air height...wind and all...like the lower profile. So the trawler design is where we seem to be going. My wife was raised in the desert so this is all very frustrating to her. We are looking in the 45’-55’ range with a good galley...she love to cook...twin diesels, water maker and 2 staterooms and heads. Is this to much to ask? I know we would lose interior space with the complete walk around but since we will be here in the summer months...outside is important...especially when docking. Well that’s my story...the house is going on the market...where everything sells yesterday...then it’s down to the best maintained trawler style design to cash out and sail away. Any thought comments or critiques on this plan is greatly appreciated...looking looking looking.
Timicrinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 03:54 PM   #2
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
Greetings from a Shellback and Lifer surface skimmer, welcome to the Trawler Forum, I hope one day you will be initiated into the royal ranks of Shellbacks and the Kingdom of Neptune Rex.
Your plan sounds reasonable and doable, my favorite in your size range would be a Defever 44. Good luck on your search. The TF will no doubt provide you with many many opinions and assistance in your quest.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 04:16 PM   #3
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard.
Old 10-09-2020, 04:24 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Welcome aboard. For liveaboard and long distance cruising I love a Hatteras 58 LRC. They are getting old but are a quality boat and have long legs with 2400 gallons of diesel. Probably won’t be able to get a loan on them due to the age. Have fun looking and keep us informed as to how it is going. And we love photos of the boats you are looking at.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 04:35 PM   #5
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Quote:
45’-55’ range with a good galley...she love to cook...twin diesels, water maker and 2 staterooms and heads. Is this to much to ask? I know we would lose interior space with the complete walk around but since we will be here in the summer months...outside is important...especially when docking.
Your specification seems very well thought out and acheivable; many participants here have vessels that fit that description, including mine (You can't have it.)
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0089.JPG  
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 05:53 PM   #6
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Welcome from a another Shellback - been across the line a few times and got the scars to prove it!
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:56 PM   #7
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Shellback and bluenose here.

Welcome aboard!
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:08 PM   #8
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
Welcome Shipmate and Ill let King Neptune know he has another wog on the way. Keep looking and the boat will find you. Your in a great area to find her.

Cheers
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:19 PM   #9
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Greeting from a submariner, destroyer sailor and Blue Nose.
Old 10-09-2020, 07:47 PM   #10
Guru

City: League City, TX
Vessel Name: Pelago
Vessel Model: Wellcraft 3300 Coastal
And yet another welcome aboard, this time from a Golden Shellback. Crossed the equator at the IDL. Best of luck in your search for the perfect vessel. You'll find a treasure trove of knowledge and experience here. Some real characters too
Old 10-09-2020, 08:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Hale Moku
Vessel Model: 4788 Bayliner
Polywog metamorphosis

Dang AlaskaProf...I want your boat...that’s the one...got to be another one out there. Should I direct my search to the west coast or is The east coast and Europe to far to transport
Timicrinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 03:22 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timicrinn View Post
Dang AlaskaProf...I want your boat...that’s the one...got to be another one out there. Should I direct my search to the west coast or is The east coast and Europe to far to transport
"Dang...that's the one..." is exactly how I acquired it. We were in Tacoma for a pre-college visit for my daughter and my wife left me alone for three hours...

A friend of mine says, "You can compliment my wife, my dog, my pickup truck, but if you want to make me feel really good, say something nice about my boat. It is nearly as nice as the pic suggests, and does have everything you specified except the watermaker, but with 200 gals, we can shower for a week without tanking. ...and yes it does have a stall shower.

It is a '74 Rawson 41, built on Lake Washington by a firm known for their work boats. They made a few 38 foot power yachts; mine may be the only 41 in captivity. I'm told it is a Monk design and there are are a number of other manufacturers using that configuration; you should be able to find something in your area code.

I'd solicit an offer, but I think I have one more Alaska trip left before I "age out".
Bill
Old 10-10-2020, 03:38 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaProf View Post
"

They made a few 38 foot power yachts; mine may be the only 41 in captivity.
Bill

Internet search just now turned up exactly one picture of a Rawson 41, it's mine, under a different name/owner.
Attached Images