1978 Grand Banks purchase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rmatics

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Open Gate II
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 423 Classico
1978 Grand Banks 42 Classic w twin Lehman 120

Can someone share what to look for when purchasing this boat?

First thing is a good surveyor. Boats of that vintage usually have teak decks which usually means wet and rotten core in the decks. Window leaks are common. So are rusty fuel tanks. Those are the big 3 IMO. The rest is usually more minor. Spend a day poking around in the boat if possible and look inside cabinets and behind things. Check the electrical system it has probably been hacked by several POs. Have a good mechanic do an engine survey. Take a lot of photos of things that look questionable to you. Discuss them with the surveyor. Good luck.

What Comodave said - decks, windows and fuel tanks. If the boat is all original, and if it has spent its life under the sun and stars, then those issues should not be hard to spot. If you don't see them, your surveyor will.

Its kind of weird - for decades, GBs came out of the yard with some of the most impressive build quality of any production yacht on the market, and yet many of them have aged poorly. Unless you are lucky enough to find one of that vintage that was either 1) professionally maintained with an open checkbook, 2) maintained by an owner with the time, tools and skills to stay ahead of the usual troubles, or 3) stored in a barn since new, you are likely buying a project. What's especially frustrating is that a Grand Banks that has been maintained in Bristol condition is one of the most beautiful, satisfying boats to be found anywhere, but a GB that has been neglected is heartbreaking.

An oil analysis is also an option that can tell you a lot about the engine. The oil should have at least 10 hours on it. Check batteries as well. Good luck!

I am looking at "Gambier Girl" brokered by Calibre Yacht Sales in Canada.

I would appreciate your comments if you would not mind taking a look especially the engine photo.

I am looking at "Gambier Girl" brokered by Calibre Yacht Sales in Canada.

I would appreciate your comments if you would not mind taking a look especially the engine photo.

Seems to me to be a bit on the high side, but if that's what you want and you've been looking for a while I wish you the best.

Tony Koch is a good local surveyor. he may know the boat.
1 250-714-4747

Last edited:
Nice looking example of the marque, and appears to be in responsible ownership. It's had some modifications here and there, nothing that looks awful. Hard to tell much from the engine photo - I always look at the engine mounts first, and work my way up from there.

$156K US does seem high for a 44-year old GB, though. The listing is silent about the big three pain points.

Thanks again.
We are negotiating price.
The fuel tanks have been replaced.

Thanks again.
We are negotiating price.
Fuel tanks are new. I'll try calling Tony.

A friend of mine looked and ran away from a 42GB for sale in San Pedro. The boat looked great on paper but had several issues totaling at least 50-60k in repairs. Owners said it was a sellers market and did not budge on price so he RAN AWAY from it. Be cautious and take your time.

The market (lack of availability) right now is making people buy boats that they otherwise wouldn't be buying. Don't rush just to "get something" that you'll regret buying next year. I have a few broker friends that are starting to see the market soften.

Good luck with the search!

I cannot find any fault, looks great, specs are good.
Best wishes on final price and good survey.

I ran away too. Paper thin teak in some areas.
Still looking.

It turned out to be a dud.
Still looking.

Greetings,
Mr. rm. Engine seems a bit neglected. Leaks as evidenced by the verdigis on the coolers/heat exchanger, oil cooler held on by cable ties, rust on bottom of exhaust elbow. Also noticed the head is a different colour than the block-Engine work done?

Regarding the teak: Paper thin veneer is common on even the best builds from my limited experience.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom