Are you a fan of Facebook, Instagram, etc?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats different about social media?

Wifey B: That's what advertising has always done. Nothing new or different except the media. Why do you think they pay so much for Super Bowl Commercials? What is different about social media? :ermm::ermm:

According to the documentary, whats different is that social media is far more pervasive, far more addictve than, for example, TV or radio.

Have you ever seen anyone walking down the street with a death grip on their television, hanging on to it as if their very life depended upon it?

According to the documentary, whats different is that social media is far more pervasive, far more addictve than, for example, TV or radio.

Have you ever seen anyone walking down the street with a death grip on their television, hanging on to it as if their very life depended upon it?

Hubby B: I've seen millions glued to the television during the Super Bowl to see the commercials and they were the talk of the town the next day.

I've seen ET launch an incredibly successful new product.

In ancient days there was "Plop plop fizz fizz, oh what a relief it is" and still in our language, "I can't believe I ate the whole thing."

What about Coca-Cola teaching the world to sing?

Back to days some of you may remember, Esther Williams.

Does eating Cheerios really make you a champion?

The death grip on the phone is often just communicating with friends.

I don't argue that there are dangers to social media but the most serious dangers I know are not the advertising, not the promotion.

I remember taking advertising courses and realizing how much certain ads had made it into the fabric of society.

It's ironic that we regulate truth in advertising for products but right now our airwaves are filled with political advertisements many of which are outright lies.

Infomercials got millions to buy junk and telemarketing has led many more to do the same.

Is there any advertising worse the Publisher's Clearing House which hooks people, especially the elderly, into buying item after item by guaranteeing them they are a winner.

What about all the kids we've convinced they need $200 shoes and worse those attacked over such shoes?

The thing is a lot of us don't seem to be very smart or discerning. Gullible is the word. It doesn't matter from what source we receive the information, we believe it. I have a cousin who I don't talk to now but when I did, I remember he was always firmly convinced of what the last person he talked to told him. Never mattered what it was. He was an on the road salesman and it could be a customer or the waitress at the diner or the men sitting around the checkerboard. I was often alarmed by the absurdity of his latest "knowledge" but realized he wasn't alone.

There are a lot of people today who believe everything they hear on one specific news network or from one radical organization.

I'm alarmed sometimes by the drug advertisements on television. Is that really how we're going to choose what medication to take? Then look at the success of Botox and it was without social media.

Technology has made the spread of misinformation, of propaganda, easier and faster and, unfortunately, as a people we haven't seemed to get any wiser. If you want an extreme example, just look at the number of admittances to ER of people deciding to drink disinfectant to avoid a virus. We should be shocked anyone would but I wasn't.

I'm really not concerned about product advertisement on social media, but far more concerned about the thoughts promoted, the radical and reactionary ideas and philosophies, about the untruths perpetrated. More than anything about the hate promulgated. I'm more concerned about those convinced to make poor life choices than those talked into buying lousy products.

May be too late for old people from some of the things I see online considered to be fact but maybe we should start young with teaching our young people to be more discerning on a day to day basis, but then these are the older people who thought it was essential to reopen bars in Florida which have been packed in the few days since and the young people who decided it made sense to have a party of over 1000 people in Tallahassee.

Social media isn't the real problem. The lack of common sense is. Don't shoot the messenger.

I read this forum every day, so I guess I am addicted. So, this topic is somewhat relevant to people who discuss trawlers and boats on line. I hope we can avoid getting too far from the topic that interests and unites us. As an example, a recent posting asking for advice on changing bulbs in a chandelier in a garage seemed a bit off topic to me. Trawler Forum is a gem. We sure don't want to ruin it by getting too far off topic.

I read this forum every day, so I guess I am addicted. So, this topic is somewhat relevant to people who discuss trawlers and boats on line. I hope we can avoid getting too far from the topic that interests and unites us. As an example, a recent posting asking for advice on changing bulbs in a chandelier in a garage seemed a bit off topic to me. Trawler Forum is a gem. We sure don't want to ruin it by getting too far off topic.

That was in Harbor Chat (actually this section) which is the off topic section of the forum.

Since the "anything goes" section of this forum was done away with, I now post on FB.

Yet another reason to avoid FB.
In Australia, Facebook takes news reports from various commercial news publishers and republishes them, without paying for them. Surprisingly,many people get their news from FB and Instagram.
This has a negative effect on news providers selling their product, as people can get it for free on FB. So we are legislating an obligation to pay to use, to be determined, initially by negotiation and if that fails, by compulsory arbitration. FB is not happy and among other things, say they may cease providing any news at all, stop updating their services in Australia, etc. Toys are rapidly leaving the cot.

It`s akin to our legislating plain packaging for cigarettes with dire health warnings and grisly photos of cancers etc. Introduced her with considerable push back and litigation, it spread elsewhere. FB rightly senses this could be a similar floodgate if we succeed in establishing it.

As an example, a recent posting asking for advice on changing bulbs in a chandelier in a garage seemed a bit off topic to me. Trawler Forum is a gem. We sure don't want to ruin it by getting too far off topic.

Reo, that "off topic" thread you referred to has garnered 1506 views and 47 posts as of today. It was posted as a joke, which most of the astute TF readers soon realized and they continued to post and have fun with the topic.

I guess not all on TF that readers find interesting and fun has to do with trawlers. But, not being a trawler owner myself, what the heck do I know. :angel:

Need to pick and choose. Because I strongly disagree with the ethics of Zuckerburg deleted FB. Boy they make it hard to get out. Unfortunately full time cruisers often use FB to communicate so it was a PIA.
I won’t give the Chinese dictatorship a dime so no tik tok.
I strongly support what the EU has done in trying to control the privacy concerns. Quality of life hasn’t suffered and we should do the same in the USA.
I find it very disconcerting that you’re in a camera’s view wherever you go in London and now increasingly in many American cities.
Continue to have concerns about facial recognition even if it gets to a point of no errors. Did you know the appearance of your pinna (ears) are just about as good as fingerprints?
Much of my life is controlled by biometric devices. Not down to retinal scans but that’s the way things a evolving.

The world as we know it began its ending when reputable news sources began reporting on the Twitterverse reaction to this or that. You know, three or four paragraphs of the facts, and then: “...reaction on Twitter was mixed. User NUMBNUTS tweeted: ‘I strongly disagree with Congressman Derty’s actions, I hope that fleas infest his armpits.’ User HAPPYFLOWER tweeted ‘I love the Congressman and would happily have his children one day.’”

Almost as bad as journalists interviewing other journalists about the news.

That said, Facebook allows me to keep in touch with people who I would never be able to keep in touch with otherwise, plus I hate talking on the phone. I’ve considered switching to Instagram but haven’t, I know that for now I’m picking only one social media outlet and sticking with it. Discussion forums excepted of course.

Last edited:
The world as we know it began its ending when reputable news sources began reporting on the Twitterverse reaction to this or that. You know, three or four paragraphs of the facts, and then: “...reaction on Twitter was mixed. User NUMBNUTS tweeted: ‘I strongly disagree with Congressman Derty’s actions, I hope that fleas infest his armpits.’ User HAPPYFLOWER tweeted ‘I love the Congressman and would happily have his children one day.’”

Almost as bad as journalists interviewing other journalists about the news.

That said, Facebook allows me to keep in touch with people who I would never be able to keep in touch with otherwise, plus I hate talking on the phone. I’ve considered switching to Instagram but haven’t, I know that for now I’m picking only one social media outlet and sticking with it. Discussion forums excepted of course.

It's not the social media that's the real problem, it's how we use it. If you assume everything you type on it will be available to the entire universe, then you'll likely be ok. If you think there is privacy or you can type there like you'd talk to your drinking buddies, then you're in trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom