You check your oil, have you checked your PSA lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
....We are going to take the boat out for a few hours on Sunday. It's a good excuse to get out of the house and our self-imposed quarantine. Also a good excuse to blow out some of the cobwebs from the Cats.

Sounds a good plan. I don't think there is a safer place to be in isolation, with less chance of catching anything, than out on your boat. :thumb:

Medical personnel play God every day of the week. It's pretty much their job description.

The only time they don't is when you know more about what ails you than they do and are in suitable condition to communicate this knowledge to them and ensure that they follow it. Otherwise your life is in their hands, just as if they were God (if you believe in that sort of thing).

Well today was the grand unveiling of my scalp to the world. My hair had decided to take leave of my scalp and I was shedding like a crazy ol' shaggy dog. Even our Roomba couldn't keep up with it.

So we decided the only way to deal with it was to shave my head. We organized a neighborhood gathering (keeping in mind our social distancing) for the party. About 20 neighbors showed up and brought their lawn chairs and whatever they wanted to drink.

We were going to do it at high noon but we changed to 4:00 p.m. because noon was too chilly and also too early to be doing shots. So here's what I looked like before the process began...
20191231-190946.jpg

and after all was said and done and a few shots of Patrol were consumed, this is what the end result looks like....
Tina-and-Jay-Buhner.jpg

The neighbors were great. The brought several new hats for me including one from the Oh Boy, Oberto hydroplane that one of the neighbors works on the pit crew for, a Trump hat which Tina promptly said she could use for toilet paper if we ran out, and several others.

They also brought a collection of hand made signs....
20200328-170706.jpg

20200328-174339.jpg

20200328-160342.jpg

and a few others.

What a great collection of friends/neighbors we have.

That is an awesome bunch of neighbors and friends you have!

Wishing you all the best.

Mike, don't forget Yul Brynner made the chrome dome his avatar long before all those other Johnny come latelys. Also, I noticed that quite often, once treatment over, the patient who lost their hair, once it grew back, they grew a really nice thatch, sometimes rather different from how it was before, quite often considered an improvement. :)

My wife is undecided whether I look more like former Seattle Mariner Jay Buhner or Bruce
Willis.

What say you guys?

I had my second chemo treatment today. It went about the same as the first one except it took longer. I got the feeling that the staff at the oncology center was tired and seemed to lack that certain attitude that I saw 3 weeks ago. They're working 4-10's and my nurse said she liked the shifts but it was obvious that things are not as snappy.

Stay safe all.

Greetings,
Mr. GFC. What's that now? 2 down and 4 to go?

Yup, and I'm anxious to get them all done. The dock will assess my progress after the third one to see how things are going. In my meeting with him yesterday he asked me if I still wanted to continue with the chemo treatments in light of what's happening with the COVID-19 stuff going on.

My answer should have been "Hell yes" but I was a bit more polite and just responded that I wanted to continue.

At our Saturday Head Shaving Party some of our guests brought signs to cheer me up (not that I'm down in the dumps anyway). One that I really liked says:

The devil whispered in my ear
"you will not survive the storm."
I whispered back in the devil's ear
"I AM THE STORM".

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. THROTTLES FORWARD and don't look back.

I had my second chemo treatment today. It went about the same as the first one except it took longer. I got the feeling that the staff at the oncology center was tired and seemed to lack that certain attitude that I saw 3 weeks ago. They're working 4-10's and my nurse said she liked the shifts but it was obvious that things are not as snappy.

Stay safe all.

Wifey B: I think everyone in the medical profession, and lots who aren't, is just fatigued, mentally and physically. We're working hard to maintain positive social interaction and do upbeat things at home, but it's hard for people. :)

Wifey B, I chalked it up to their being tired and didn't make any comments about it. I thanked each and everyone I came in contact with for their hard work and dedication to duty. I can only imagine how difficult these trying times must be.

They truly are the heroes.

Hope you’re continuing to to tolerate the ADT and chemo.
Large health care entities take to practice population based medicine and seek a balance of sensitivity and specificity when utilizing a screening test. Payers like to cover tests based on policy decisions, such as those published by the USPTF. CDC sets no policy but parrots other groups’ recommendations.
Outside of these large systems you’ll find most US urologists treat large groups of men as a series of Individuals, appraising their individual risk. There are additional blood and urine tests to refine risk of harboring a prostate cancer that can shorten one’s life, as opposed to the virtually harmless well differentiated “autopsy” cancer.
Most non urologists are stuck on the 1986 0-4 range for total psa. That was a very small group of Caucasian men in Minnesota who had a benign feeling prostate exam and hadn’t yet been diagnosed with prostate cancer. An overly simplistic assessment but that’s what was submitted to the FDA when the blood test sought approval.Most urologists abandoned that range over 20 years ago.
There are quite a few tests between psa and biopsy. some are psa derivatives, some look at prostate cell genomics, and some are imaging based ( such as a multiparametric MRI). Single largest barrier to common usage is cost; no one argues the incremental benefit of these tests as an adjunct to simple psa. Whereas a psa costs <$ 10 to run, these others are hundreds and charges can be more hundreds or $1000-2800.
Like many endeavors the science has advanced faster than availability; thus the value of being an educated consumer if you prefer to have your individual risk managed.

I’ve been in this field for 37 years. I’m continually amazed how much we’ve learned yet how little common practice has evolved.

Again, good fortune to you and thanks for sharing your tale.

I’ve been in this field for 37 years. I’m continually amazed how much we’ve learned yet how little common practice has evolved.

Like most everyone else, doctors practice based on what was the medical thinking at the time they were trained. My dad is a Dr. and thinks the same things that were state of the art in the 50's is still the best practice. Granted, there are some things from the 50's that actually work as well or better than the latest teaching, doesn't mean that applies to everything. A good doctor will evaluate and take the best practice no matter when it was developed.

I went in for my third treatment yesterday and was pleasantly surprised at the changes in the staff between the last treatment, 3 weeks ago, and today. Lots of laughter today among the staff. Everyone was in a good mood and it showed.

I was in the facility from about 2:15 to 5:30, came out feeling good then did some grocery shopping on the way home.

Today I'm feeling fine. Walked the dog at 7:00, fixed breakfast, mowed the lawn, turned on the pool pump and filter, cooked up some bacon for future breakfasts and now it's time to get ready to go back to the oncologist's office for a prednisone shot.

I am the storm.

Love it brother. You'll get there and then it will all be a memory....

Love it brother. You'll get there and then it will all be a memory....
So true. Good to hear you're doing so well, GFC. I had my 6 monthly phone consult with my oncologist a few weeks ago, and as I've past 3 years, and the PSA still barely measurable, (I had stereotactic EBR, so will never be zero), she's moved me out to yearly reviews, with just a PSA at the 6 month stage. I feel great. So yeah, already just a memory. In fact if it wasn't for this Covid thing I'd be out on the golf course right now. Actually, we can now play golf, just only in pairs, and there's no 19th hole. :)

Thanks for all the good comments and Peter, thanks for the first hand experience results. It's always good to hear the words from someone who has walked the walk.

I've mentioned several times on here what a great bunch of neighbors we have. Over the past couple of days I've been talking with a friend in the Portland, OR area who is going to buy the life raft I have. Since we'll be selling the boat we won't need the raft. Makes sense, right?

So this afternoon I'm sitting at a neighbor's house watching a lightening storm roll in. We were just shooting the breeze and I mentioned I was going to sell the raft and asked him if he would give me a hand loading it up on top of our GMC Terrain when we're ready to take it to Portland.

So Jim comes up with a better idea. Why don't we load it into the back of their pickup, they'll drive it down there, drop off the raft, visit their kids who live in Portland and I pick up the tab for gas. Doesn't get any better than that, right?

What a great bunch of friends/neighbors we live with.

What a great bunch of friends/neighbors we live with.
GFC, good neighbours are priceless. Sometimes we forget that - until we spend some time in an area with some bad neighbours. :)

All this 'stay home, stay safe' stuff must be getting to me because it has stirred my creative juices. It was getting toward lunch time so I created a new monster....

Here's the standard BLT, plus I added avacado, mayo and a fried egg. YUM. Apparently this chemo stuff doesn't affect my appetite.

20200523-114500.jpg

All this 'stay home, stay safe' stuff must be getting to me because it has stirred my creative juices. It was getting toward lunch time so I created a new monster....

Here's the standard BLT, plus I added avacado, mayo and a fried egg. YUM. Apparently this chemo stuff doesn't affect my appetite.

Wifey B: That is illegal. There is no A or E in BLT. And this can't be ignored. If you're allowed to add them, who knows what some other criminal will do next. :nonono::nonono::nonono:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Wifey B: That is illegal. There is no A or E in BLT. And this can't be ignored. If you're allowed to add them, who knows what some other criminal will do next. :nonono::nonono::nonono:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Thank you, I was speechless in how to say it.
GFC, eat the evidence.

I'm drooling. I want that BLAMET!! It looks so good!

I'd post a photo of my oatmeal, but.. boooring.

To say that it was good would be a gross understatement of the facts.

Now I'm thinking of what to add next. Any thoughts?

all this 'stay home, stay safe' stuff must be getting to me because it has stirred my creative juices. It was getting toward lunch time so i created a new monster....

Here's the standard blt, plus i added avacado, mayo and a fried egg. Yum. Apparently this chemo stuff doesn't affect my appetite.

20200523-114500.jpg

what the heck is BLT..? :D

Last edited:
To say that it was good would be a gross understatement of the facts.

Now I'm thinking of what to add next. Any thoughts?

My BLT is constructed with the normal, Bacon,Lettus, tomato,on toasted bread, to which I add mayo on one side, and peanut butter on the other with a slice of white onion and available two thin "Stacker" pickles. Need a toothpic to hold together.:dance:

Greetings to the Prostrate forum!!

I sent the following as a PM to Mike not having read the so many post that followed his intial post, I had not seen the date nor took the time to have found the four pages of comments!! I was excited to make an attempt to assist Mike prior to his commitment to chemo, not that I am opposed to chemo, more inline of doing due dillangence on all the options out there. So, with apologies to Mike for now posting public what I sent to him knowing there is nothing personal to affect either he or myself, I now post - Al-Ketchikan

":flowers:Okay- My story and my harty recommendation post hast.
My family doctor over the years did the finger probe on the prostrate, five years back it was .1.5 all good, two years ago it was 5. As 4. is the threshold the suggestion was to "Wait and watch" due to my age then of 80. At this time my ability to urinate was struggling to the point that prescription drugs designed to help the flow and srink the prostrate were ordered but failed to do good, so in goes the catather.
Visited the uroglist that visits Ketchikan and he suggested the 'wait and watch'. As the catheter was on a 30 day change out, and I was on my second month leading into the third, I became concerned enough to arrange for an appointment with a urologists' in Bellingham WA.
Flew down and after the finger deal, had a biopsy. Urologists indicated he would give me the results a week later. On the Monday of that week,(five days from the biopsy) he called and advised that I had Gleason 9 cancer and that I needed to do two things. Have a MRI and a bone scan and second, come to his clinic at the end of the coming month to receive a shot of "Lupron" ( Lupron Depot Injection: Uses, Dosage, Side Effects, Warnings - Drugs.com ) Which he stated, "Would give you a quality life of three to five years" He then would perform a TURP ( Transurethral resection of the prostate (TURP) - Mayo Clinic ) to eliminate the catheter and allow me to pee.
Now I was really worried as no medical person had at this time recommended any plan or suggestions on what was "Next". So I started on the Internet and sought local folks that had prostrate treatments. I found two local men my age who had the service of two different processes . One had done the "ProTon" radiation program in Seattle at the Seattle cancer center. ( https://www.sccaprotontherapy.com/ ) The other gentleman had used the "CyberKnife" radiation process ( Stereotactic Radiosurgery )
I also had contacted my Seattle medical source, Virginia Mason, So I had three second opinion meetings scheduled for two days. I flew down on the morning of the first of two appointments, one with Proton and the other with VM hospital. Both made very good presentations, however VM radiation is of the older style that involved radiation of areas of the body other than the cancer contained within the prostrate. (By the way, all three medical outlets has accessed my MRI and Bone scans along with my history medical file)
Because of the catheter being in play, both of these sources recommended that I have the above mentioned TRUP and then SIX MONTHS AFTER THAT PROCEDURE, EACH, HAVING CHOSE ONE OF THE TWO GROUPS, would start radiation. This to a fellow who has aggressive cancer, the period of time given before radiation was not a good sign.
Yes, the Lupron was working to stop the cancer's feeding on my testosterone yet the thoughts of waiting that long was stressful.
My third appointment had early disappointment as the PA for the doctor I was to see, advised that CyberKnife has not been approved for cancer that had escaped the Prostrate which was evident in my scans. Two lymph nodes were affected and there was a spot on my pelvis, however she suggested that I keep the appointment and speak to Dr. Meier as he was a strong source for all facets of radiology.
It was that understanding that I made the appointment. Dr Meier explained that CyberKnife was approved for 4-5-6-7 Gleason cases but not enough medical history had been formulated to cover Gleason 8-9-10. He spoke to the fact that he has done many radiology applications to 8-9-10 Geason with outstanding success. He then made what was a deal breaker. Where the other two sources concluded that I have the TRUP and wait six months, Dr. Meier explained the rational. Cancer cells require six months to heal. Healthy cells deal in 10 days to heal from any activity. Were I to have the TRUP, which destroys the urine tube in the prostrate, and a new tube is created with the laser carterizing activity as it forms this new tube. IT WOULD REQUIRE SIX MONTHS FOR THE NEW URINARY TUBE TO HEAL. To, were I to have this process done as scheduled, the process of the TRUP would be done going through the prostrate full of blood filled cancer cells, which would result in a very messy recovery period. Dr. Meier also indicated that CyberKnife process could work around the caterer but (And here is the 'Bingo" of his presentation) he recommended that if I chose CyberKnife he would recommed that I cancel the TRUP appointment and have the caterer removed on schedule (A week after I returned home) and see if I could pee. He explained that the Lupron starving the cancer cells in the prostrate would have the cells srink. As it was the expanding of the cancer in the prostrate that closed off the urinary tube, now the Lupron had shrunk the cells. I went home bostered and when the time to pull the caterer arrived I did so and peed'ed like a teenager !! Still am todayt!! So the process for CyberKnife was scheduled for two weeks later following the insertion of the gold target points within the prostate.
Now here I want to insert the video for CyberKnife for your review.
So I had five days of radiation for the prostrate directly. 30-35 minutes each day. Two weeks later I returned and had five days of radiation for the two lymph nodes and then two weeks later, five days for the spot on my pelvis bone.
Results???
I went in with Gleason 9 and a PSA of 9. I came out with a PSA of 1. a month later I had a PSA which came out at .0465. 10 days ago I had a MRI and Bone scan as well a PSA. Are you ready? The results: No cancer in my body in either the MRI or Bone Scan. My PSA. is 0.02.
I know this a long post to you, but it is made with the intent of suggestion second option before commitment if there is time for such a second opinion.
Here is the contact phone number for Dr. Meier's office and that of his PA. Dr. Meier: 1-206-320-7130 His PA: (Lindsey) 1-206-320-7166
Here is Dr. Meier in a video explaining CyberKnife.:
I

My BLT is constructed with the normal, Bacon,Lettus, tomato,on toasted bread, to which I add mayo on one side, and peanut butter on the other with a slice of white onion and available two thin "Stacker" pickles. Need a toothpic to hold together.:dance:

Peanut butter??? Chunky or creamy? :lol::eek::D

Back
Top Bottom