Old 01-29-2018, 04:32 PM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by alormaria View Post
After 40 years in IT I would never let a computer drive my car.

Most companies outsource their coding to the lower bidder.

No one ever tests anything.
I assume then you'd never fly on a plane either?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:37 PM   #22
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
I think a lot of the comments posted here are a reflection of the aging demographics of the forum members. It's coming, as are electric powered cars & trucks as a mainstream transport power source.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:15 PM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy G View Post
I think a lot of the comments posted here are a reflection of the aging demographics of the forum members. It's coming, as are electric powered cars & trucks as a mainstream transport power source.
I admit that when self driving cars first became a topic, I thought all involved had lost their minds and was shocked at the investments they were making. I thought it could never work. Well, they've proven the concept, just haven't worked through all the details. Along the way some other positives have been developed. We have a Mercedes Sprinter Van with all the safety bells and whistles from lane keeping to blind spot monitoring to collision prevention assist. We didn't buy it for safety, bought it to carry a lot of people. However, I admit to liking it and feeling safer in it and, in turn, find it far more pleasant to drive than I expected.

Autopilot is this generation's cruise control. Collision prevention is this generation's ABS. I don't know where it will lead but cars have gotten so much safer with each generation. I don't see self driving with no driver, but I can picture like on a boat with autopilot and a watch.

I never expected the progress this fast, but it's continuing and I'll buy a car with all the bells and whistles. I won't let it auto drive with no one at the wheel watching, but I will test it's functionality. Meanwhile through this all we'll make another huge leap forward in safety as they've realized things they can build into the intelligence of cars.

Same arguments as Autopilot on boats. Dangerous if you rely totally on it. Great though if you use it to allow yourself to keep a better watch on the water, or the road. Many of the arguments against were my grandfather's argument against cruise control. He was furious when he couldn't buy a car without it.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:21 PM   #24
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Would you buy one of these!!

https://www.derryjournal.com/cars/ca...4c49ee8f9fa276
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:51 PM   #25
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. m. $21K for a pregnant roller skate? No thanks.

https://www.bestcarsfeed.com/best-new-cars-under-20000/
Old 01-29-2018, 11:42 PM   #26
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
I had my first taste of ‘near’ driverless cars when I got a Jeep Grand Cherokee with all the bells and whistles three years ago. Lane assist, blind spot monitoring, adaptive cruise control, auto braking etc. At first I was slow to utilize the features to the full extent but soon grew to love them. I would put on the adaptive cruise control as soon as I get on the road at say 70 mph and wouldn’t switch it off till I arrived at my destination. If I got behind a truck that was doing 55 on the highway, it would slow down and keep one of the three pre selected distances from the vehicle ahead. Once the lane to the left was clear, just pull out into the lane and as you are pulling out the car accelerated to the pre selected speed. It worked well in town also, just keeping pace with traffic. The only issue was with even the shortest pre-selected safe distance the gap to the car ahead was enough that someone would always cut in front and the car would brake to maintain distance to the new vehicle allowing enough space for yet another car to cut in front. This got really annoying on the highway when the left lane had a slow poke and the faster cars were weaving to get around it. But otherwise, all I had to do was steer. My foot used to hover over the break pedal for the first six months or so until I learned to trust the algorithm. It really made highway driving much more pleasant on my frequent 400 mile trips.
As far as vandalized signs etc., I expect that they will add in a gps mapping program similar to Waze. All the speed limits on the road are programmed in as are timed school zones, red light cameras etc. I don’t expect they will rely on a sensor reading road signs.
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:16 AM   #27
Scraping Paint

City: CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
In a heartbeat. Way smaller powerplant than I'm looking for just to power my new HO alternator!
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 02:38 AM   #28
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
I'd argue that we're are not ready for a driverless car, but there's a lot of automation already there, if one wants it.

I'd be surprised if we end up with total driverless, ever. There's still someone needed to make a decision when things go wrong.

Even with all the automation in flying, drones, etc., there's still a decision maker.

But the automation is impressive. A modern jet can fly an entire route from wheels up to taxi in, fully automated where the pilot doesn't have to touch anything. He does have to take off and put the wheels up, and taxi in at the other end. And he is still needed, and two are still requited.

But there's talk in replacing one of the pilots with a dog. The dog will be there to bite the pilot if he touches the controls.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:04 AM   #29
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. S. "... replacing one of the pilots with a dog." Airedale?
Old 01-30-2018, 05:34 AM   #30
Hospitality Officer

City: Pittwater
Vessel Name: Sarawana
Vessel Model: IG 36 Quad Cabin
http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/a...p;d=1291771499

You need a neat well dressed dog to be a co pilot, and a name to go with it.Commander Basil G at your service.
Andy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 06:24 AM   #31
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. S. "... replacing one of the pilots with a dog." Airedale?
Wouldn't a Chinook or Harrier be better?
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 07:54 AM   #32
Enigma

Well done Mr. m.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:10 PM   #33
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
I was following a Tesla the other day on a busy urban road. It had traffic jammed behind it worse than a Amish buggy. When I was finally able to get around it I see why it was a traffic jammer. Hands free gent looking quite proud of himself was behind the wheel driving the precise speed limit.

Why buy a performance car if it doesn't perform? Three Teslas side by side driving the speed limit autonomously on a busy freeway would create quite a parade. This exercise in marketing 101 will be an interesting hype, especially with tens of billions being theoretically diverted from bridge repairs to roadside logic controls.

Follow the money.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 02:17 PM   #34
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
When driveless cars are first widely available, only well off first adopters will get them.
Then they will become available as for hire vehicles (taxis, Uber).
Then they will start to be used (probably for hire) by the elderly and disabled who can afford them.
Then insurance companies will offer large rate reductions for driverless cars (or huge rate increases for driven vehicles), leading to wider adoption.
With driverless cars widely available, the skill requirements to actually drive a car will go up, and people will need to be below a certain age to be able to drive (same as how they make commercial pilots stop flying airliners above 65).
Then people who actually want to drive a car will be relegated to special areas or clubs to do it. Same way people who want to drive really fast have to go to race courses now.
Eventually, people who insist on actually driving their own car will be seen as rich eccentrics.

However, to get there, large segments of workers will be displaced. You won't need taxi drivers, car insurance companies, collision repair centers, traffic cops, amongst others.

If you adopt the for hire pool theory of operation, you won't need the vast parking lots you see everywhere, which will put a big dent in the snow removal business (and parking lot attendants).

Driverless cars are going to be a big employment disrupter and some of those industries are not going to go away without a lot of kicking and screaming (but they will be going away).
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 02:18 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
... Three Teslas side by side driving the speed limit autonomously on a busy freeway would create quite a parade. ...
In some places the cops do this to control the traffic speed.
Old 01-30-2018, 03:01 PM   #36
Scraping Paint

City: CT
Don't y'all feel speed limits should be obeyed?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 03:44 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Don't y'all feel speed limits should be obeyed?
I could foresee at some point the vehicles being limited. I think that would mean though a re-examination of speed limits and simultaneously increasing speed limits but eliminating the tolerances of 5 or 10 mph above that are common. Then passing and other situations have to be accounted for.

If everything in operating a car was done automatically, then performance sure becomes a big of a non-factor while comfort the entire emphasis.

I have no earthly idea where it will all lead. ssobol has outlined a nice picture of the future which may or may not be what really happens. I just ask myself how I feel about the technology today and what has been added. I like it. I feel like it makes a car safer. When it comes to autopilot (which I haven't used) I think all the same arguments as in boating. At the current level of development, I'm not ready for driverless cars, but they're going to get there. Massive car share programs where we don't individually own cars, I don't know. Public transportation works well in some major cities, negating the need for cars. On the other hand I've seen the bike sharing and everywhere I've seen it implemented it's been chaotic. Unfortunately, bikes aren't self driving and can't just relocate themselves to where needed.

The generations represented here are all very attached to their cars. I'm not as attached as to boats, but I'm not ready for generic cars to just show up when summoned.

Now, thinking boating. Here's a perfect use for driverless car. You're cruising the coast or the loop or wherever, you just have your car meet you at each town you go to.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:23 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
... Then passing and other situations have to be accounted for. ....

... but I'm not ready for generic cars to just show up when summoned. ...
In some states you are not allowed exceed the speed limit to pass slower cars (if they are going the speed limit, then you shouldn't need to pass them anyway).

In other states you are allowed to exceed the speed limit when passing. However, the amount you can exceed the limit is usually what is "reasonable and prudent". If the cars ahead of you are spaced right you can go quite fast and still be legal by passing a series of cars.

I'm one of those people who see a car as something to get me from here to there. Yes, they can be fun to drive and all that, but they are also kind of a headache (payments, gas, maintenance, inspections, insurance, etc.). The only personal statement I make with the cars I buy is "I don't care what you think about my car."

If I could get a car to appear within a couple of minutes (e.g. 2 or 3) whenever I wanted (24/7) to take me wherever I wanted at a cost that was less than the per mile cost of my own car, I'd probably do it for most things. I'd still have at least one vehicle for special purposes (like towing my boat, carting stuff).
Old 01-30-2018, 07:19 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol View Post

If I could get a car to appear within a couple of minutes (e.g. 2 or 3) whenever I wanted (24/7) to take me wherever I wanted at a cost that was less than the per mile cost of my own car, I'd probably do it for most things. I'd still have at least one vehicle for special purposes (like towing my boat, carting stuff).
Wifey B: Fun fun fun till your daddy takes your t-bird away. Not giving up my car but maybe changing. I don't know but we have fun driving even though we don't do a lot of it. We reached the point in life to own our dream cars. We each have sports cars we put about 4000 miles a year on and we have an SUV we do the same with. Plus a Sprinter we just got a few months ago. The others are all five years old and no plans to replace and we do have a Tesla on order for 2020 just because, not sure the why but we do.

I'd miss a personalized car at first, but for how long would I?
Old 01-30-2018, 07:44 PM   #40
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol View Post
In some states you are not allowed exceed the speed limit to pass slower cars (if they are going the speed limit, then you shouldn't need to pass them anyway).

In other states you are allowed to exceed the speed limit when passing. However, the amount you can exceed the limit is usually what is "reasonable and prudent". If the cars ahead of you are spaced right you can go quite fast and still be legal by passing a series of cars.
Ssobol, the Uniform Model Traffic Ordinance, which I believe has been adopted by all states, allows passing a vehicle that is moving below the speed limit and to exceed the speed limit "for a reasonable distance and for a reasonable amount" to safely effect the pass.

It also says that a vehicle traveling in the left lane on a multi lane highway MUST yield the right of way to a faster moving vehicle. Here's the language from WA's law. It is a traffic infraction to drive continuously in the left lane of a multilane roadway when it impedes the flow of other traffic. Notice that it doesn't mention whether or not you or a vehicle that is driving faster than you is exceeding the speed limit. Simply that if you are in the left lane and impeding the flow of traffic you have to move to the right.