Wine Boxes - Taking You Back To Student Days!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I’ll bet if you call the Costco ahead of time they will have it ready for you.. pretty sure there’s no way they only stock three boxes of wine at a time... :)

We talked about this last night and today I will see if they actually ship to the home.

Forty boxes please...

We love box wine too, but recently started to feel guilty about buying it. Some marketing type put a promo on the box, "environmentally responsible packaging". The ocean has enough plastic floating in it to make me feel a bit guilty about adding to the problem. Our recycling center says there is no market for used wine box plastic here. We bring the used bags home and put them in the trash. At least we are keeping the problem local.

plastic cereal containers work great.

Greetings,
Mr. R. "...there is no market for used wine box plastic here..." Sounds like your local politicians should be notified of this. I know, sounds stupid but ya gotta start somewhere...

Greetings,
Mr. R. "...there is no market for used wine box plastic here..." Sounds like your local politicians should be notified of this. I know, sounds stupid but ya gotta start somewhere...

The number one problem with recycling isn't the ability to do it but the availability of various types. We use a huge quantity of plastic water bottles both personally and in our business. Every bottle is recycled. I believe your wine boxes are recyclable in regular city of Fort Lauderdale recycling for homes. Doesn't help you but does show the nature of the problem isn't the material but is the local recycling.

The number one problem with recycling isn't the ability to do it but the availability of various types. We use a huge quantity of plastic water bottles both personally and in our business. Every bottle is recycled. I believe your wine boxes are recyclable in regular city of Fort Lauderdale recycling for homes. Doesn't help you but does show the nature of the problem isn't the material but is the local recycling.

I think it's the plastic bag and not the cardboard box that they are talking about.

I think it's the plastic bag and not the cardboard box that they are talking about.

Oh....well, can'r help them there for person. For business, we can get them recycled. The reason they can't go with other recyclables for home purposes is clogging up the machines used for the other recycling.

Spirit,
Very nice work!! I will stick to the Tuperware (tall) container than fits a 4 litre bag for 2 reasons. First, I am not that talented to make something like that, and second, I am too lazy to try when the Tupperware (plastic reusable) works. More time for wine!
Here in BC, when buying Box (winery) wine, we pay a deposit on the packaging. This encourages a person to bring it in to a Liquor Store for refund. Then the materials are recycled from there (at least that is the theory). For the most part it works.
We do have some ancient laws whereby only certain authorized stores can sell "spirits" and they also have to take the returned empties.

Thanks. Actually not as difficult as it looks. It’s all CNC machined joints and 3D artwork. Still some hand work and assembly and finish. I may offer them as a kit. Easier to ship and cheaper for everyone. Can personalize artwork.
I’ll be working on the concept.
Russ...

Thanks. Actually not as difficult as it looks. It’s all CNC machined joints and 3D artwork. Still some hand work and assembly and finish. I may offer them as a kit. Easier to ship and cheaper for everyone. Can personalize artwork.
I’ll be working on the concept.
Russ...

Ballpark pricing?

Since Costco has been mentioned, a question for you Costco shoppers.
I was in a midwest US Costco with a armful of wine at the checkout last fall and the cashier asked for my drivers licence. I asked why since I had already produced my membership card and I am obviously over 60. The cashier said he wanted to scan it. I asked him what he meant and he described how he was going to run the DL through his machine and store an image on the store computer. I said "not with my licence" and dropped the wine on the counter and walked out.
This is the company whose credit card (Capital One) was hacked last year and a significant amount of customer data was stolen. The inconvenience for some has been great.
How common is this in the US? Nothing like this would be acceptable in Canada.(I would hope) Not at Costco, not anywhere.

I was in a midwest US Costco with a armful of wine at the checkout last fall and the cashier asked for my drivers licence. I asked why since I had already produced my membership card and I am obviously over 60. The cashier said he wanted to scan it. I asked him what he meant and he described how he was going to run the DL through his machine and store an image on the store computer. I said "not with my licence" and dropped the wine on the counter and walked out.
This is the company whose credit card (Capital One) was hacked last year and a significant amount of customer data was stolen. The inconvenience for some has been great.
How common is this in the US? Nothing like this would be acceptable in Canada.(I would hope) Not at Costco, not anywhere.

I have been a Costco member off and on since 1990. I have never been asked for my driver's license at the check out.

Did you perhaps not have a photo on file with Costco?

Costco use Capital One (Mastercard) in Canada and the card is not accepted in US Costco. Canadian Costco (at least in BC) do not sell alcohol, so other than your membership card (Capital One), you do not need to produce any ID.
The few times I have bought alcohol at Costco in the US, I have never been asked for additional ID. Now, maybe that is because I am an "Old Fart"? :)

This is indeed a mystery as the consensus is that Costco "shouldn't" be asking for and scanning DL's but they did. The thought did cross my mind that it was because I'm Canadian, but the cashier said he asks everyone. Canadian membership cards are fully functional in the US and have picture ID.
It must come down to the fact that the liquor stores are separate entities and perhaps they have different operators in different regions. Still doesn't explain why.
Firehoser75, what's up with no liquor sales at Costco in BC? Man, I'd go broke!
Anyway, sorry for the drift.

leeman,
Yes, our Capital One charge card/ Costco membership card functions fine as a membership card in the US. However, they do not accept it as a "charge card". At least the last time I was down there.

BC liquor laws restrict where alcohol can be sold. Costco does not "qualify" under the law. Our laws are very "outdated" IMHO.

leeman,
Yes, our Capital One charge card/ Costco membership card functions fine as a membership card in the US. However, they do not accept it as a "charge card". At least the last time I was down there.

BC liquor laws restrict where alcohol can be sold. Costco does not "qualify" under the law. Our laws are very "outdated" IMHO.

I always use cash in the US so wasn't trying to use the Capital One part.
Costco is the only place to buy alcohol at a good price in Canada so I am sorry for you. But, back to the topic at hand, I will check out the boxed wines there.

We knew some people with a GB52. Their boat manager is a TF member. After an onboard party they found a "Chateau Cardboard" box onboard and, following an inquiry, banned the responsible person.
I am a mere reporter.

Back
Top Bottom