Wild night in Chicago

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bay Pelican

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Bay Pelican
Vessel Make
Krogen 42
Fireworks, chanting, dancing, etc for hours into the wee hours. For my parents, sister who lived their lives on the north side of Chicago without seeing this, for my childhood friends who shared bleacher seats with me, the champagne was for you.

Attachments

• Wrigley Field.JPG
    Wrigley Field.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Those floodlights make it look just like day!

Baseball is the one sport in which we don't have a "hometown" team we cheer for. Can't root for the Marlins under Jeff Loria. Won't go to a game with him owning them. However, we went to game two of the NLDS, Cubs 5, SF 2. From that point we were hoping they'd do it, once our favorite team was out of it. Wrigley and the Cubs fans was an incredible experience. First, Theo Epstein brought the Red Sox and championship, and now the Cubs. Have to give credit to Joe Maddon too. They didn't win the series but he got the Tampa Bay Rays into it. Then in the darkness of the night, Theo stole him away.

Game 7 is being called the greatest game 7 ever. I don't know about that but it was special. The excitement in both cities. The comeback by Cleveland. The rain delay, and the Cubs doing it in extra innings. One of the few times ever that a baseball game, even a World Series game, was watched by more fans than an NFL game on at the same time.

I'm very happy for all the loyal Cubs fans.

View from my office window today. This was several blocks from the real festivities!IMG_1478294519.808009.jpg

I was bringing my vessel into Cleveland during game 7. We had it on satellite radio, and could hear the cheering from the stadium from outside. The whole city was abuzz with excitement. I had to blow a good long salute on the whistle when they tied it up. My helmsman was beside himself. He was running around the pilothouse cheering and laughing. I've never cared about baseball, but that was an exciting game.

I was bringing my vessel into Cleveland during game 7. We had it on satellite radio, and could hear the cheering from the stadium from outside. The whole city was abuzz with excitement. I had to blow a good long salute on the whistle when they tied it up. My helmsman was beside himself. He was running around the pilothouse cheering and laughing. I've never cared about baseball, but that was an exciting game.

We arrived in Cleveland slightly before noon on June 19. We did watch game 7 of the NBA finals. Obviously the game was in Oakland. Still you heard a lot of celebration when it ended and more the following day. We didn't wear our Steph Curry jerseys. The parade was scheduled for Wednesday, the 22nd starting at 11:00 AM so we pulled out around 10:00 and moved on. There wasn't going to be any sight seeing.

I am glad to see cities responding positively and things not getting out of control.

That must have been a thrill to be there, Marty. I was there only in spirit....just like most of my Irish ancestors.

I haven't heard of any violence in the celebrations in Chicago. If that's correct, I'm pleased but not surprised for the North Side Boys. Kudos to Chicago for showing some real class!

WoW!! What a Wonderful Way to Win!!!

WTG CUBS!!!

The Irish beat the All Blacks in Chicago yesterday for the first time ever - over 129 years. 50,000 in the stadium made it sound like a home game for the Irish! Another party!

Al

Celebrating the Cubs victory we were in large crowds three times (one time 5 million if you can believe the papers). Saw no violence at all, in fact it was a love fest with people helping each other.

We did leave the rally early as I was concerned that the crowd was too large, I kept thinking of the disasters at European soccer games.

Al

Celebrating the Cubs victory we were in large crowds three times (one time 5 million if you can believe the papers). Saw no violence at all, in fact it was a love fest with people helping each other.

We did leave the rally early as I was concerned that the crowd was too large, I kept thinking of the disasters at European soccer games.

The North Side is a real class act! Quite a difference from much of the rest of Chi-town. Makes me even prouder to be a North Sider Cubs fan!!

Which disasters? :huh:

Should have been more generic and not singled out European. There have been several crowd crush incidents were fans died leaving European football games. Another term is stampede but stampede brings to mind running as opposed to just pressure while people are trying to move.

Your question caused me to look at a list of crowd crush "disasters" and several in the last 50 years have occurred in the United States at football and basketball games.

The Irish beat the All Blacks in Chicago yesterday for the first time ever - over 129 years. 50,000 in the stadium made it sound like a home game for the Irish! Another party!

Yes, pretty amazing. The Irish did what Australia and a bunch of others have not been able to do for a long time either. Must be something in the Chicago water? Business opportunity anyone?

Back
Top Bottom