Wi-Fi Gurus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
I have a Wi-Fi Extender. So far I have just put the one in.

If I buy additional extenders can I connect the new extenders to the existing extender (and not the router) and therefore continue the stronger signal throughout the building? Or must they always connect to the original router?

Unclear from your post whether you're talking about a standard home-style range extender, or a marine WiFi extender such as the Wave. Sounds like the former (small ones that plug into a 120vac outlet) that more or less connect back to the router to rebroadcast the signal over a second network. They are not able to be daisy chained to further extend the signal. It also creates a second network which is a pain to manage and switch between

Consider one of the newer meshed network routers where the base router and several satellite repeaters create a zone of coverage. Here is a PC Magazine review of many https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-wi-fi-mesh-network-systems

Second the comment about Mesh routers. That is the best way to do it.

We have this system on the boat and it works perfectly. Also installed in a very large multi building property with excellent results.

https://amplifi.com/amplifi-hd

Thanks. Yes home. I will look into those. And yes, managing two networks when there is really only one, is a pain!

I have U-Verse internet which came with their router. I need to make sure that I can replace their router with my own before buying one of these. If I can I will go get one this weekend.

Suggestions on the best are welcome - I see the Amplifi above.

Others?

I have U-Verse internet which came with their router. I need to make sure that I can replace their router with my own before buying one of these. If I can I will go get one this weekend.

Suggestions on the best are welcome - I see the Amplifi above.

Others?
You will keep your I-verse router and plug the new wifi mesh into a LAN port on back of u-verse router.

Can't help you on a recommendation. I have a 2-year old Google (now nest). Personally, I'm not crazy with Google privacy issues so would chose them, but functionally, works fine.

No flies on me. Bought an eero set up today. (Geek Squad advised that it was one of the few "real meshed" systems, other than glorified extenders. Who knows.)

Yes, I had to plug one into the back of the U-Verse multi function unit (also has phone and TV). Very simple.

Once that eero was set up the other two were easy.

The speeds are considerably better! Will stream Netflix tonight and compare there too. My WGT golf on the phone is great! :p

The U-Verse network is still there, seems strange to have two networks off the same internet access, but I get it.

Last edited:
There’s probably an option on the U-Verse router to turn off it’s wireless. This would improve the performance of your eero network, at least theoretically.

There’s probably an option on the U-Verse router to turn off it’s wireless. This would improve the performance of your eero network, at least theoretically.

I'm sure there is and will research it sometime over the next few days. My thinking is that if all my devices are now on the new network there should be no traffic on the old and so minimum impact.

But will look to turning it off anyways.

Efficiency on your eero network is inversely related to the number of wi-fi networks broadcasting in the area. Even if there’s no traffic on the U-Verse network, just having it broadcasting will hurt the eero net.

Back
Top Bottom