Old 02-02-2018, 07:18 PM   #1
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Why I Drive a Pickup Truck

Last night two young girls experimenting with alcohol hit me a glancing blow from behind at 100 MPH. I was going 60 MPH and managed to stay in control and get off on the shoulder. They passed me sideways and rolled the car 2 or 3 times (sparks and fire) before coming to rest upright in the median strip as a couple of 18 wheelers went between us.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-02-02 17.58.39.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	72633

They peeled the bed of my pickup open like a sardine can. A thousand pounds of scuba tanks and the weight of the pickup was likely what kept me on the road. Probably would have been very different in a compact car. Estimate is 3 weeks to fix my pickup, good as new. Probably won't be giving up the pickup anytime soon.

In case you're wondering, the girls walked away with only scratches. When last I saw them, a very nice FL Hiway Patrol officer was giving them a lift to the police station for a date with Mr Breathalyzer.

On a sad note, the boyfriend of the driver leased the car and is probably going to find out that his insurance won't cover the loss of the car as many insurance companies now have coverage exclusions for authorized drivers in this situation getting a DUI, DWI, or under an illegal drug.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 07:25 PM   #2
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Last night two young girls experimenting with alcohol hit me a glancing blow from behind at 100 MPH. I was going 60 MPH and managed to stay in control and get off on the shoulder. They passed me sideways and rolled the car 2 or 3 times (sparks and fire) before coming to rest upright in the median strip as a couple of 18 wheelers went between us.

Attachment 72633

They peeled the bed of my pickup open like a sardine can. A thousand pounds of scuba tanks and the weight of the pickup was likely what kept me on the road. Probably would have been very different in a compact car. Estimate is 3 weeks to fix my pickup, good as new. Probably won't be giving up the pickup anytime soon.

In case you're wondering, the girls walked away with only scratches. When last I saw them, a very nice FL Hiway Patrol officer was giving them a lift to the police station for a date with Mr Breathalyzer.

On a sad note, the boyfriend of the driver leased the car and is probably going to find out that his insurance won't cover the loss of the car as many insurance companies now have coverage exclusions for authorized drivers in this situation getting a DUI, DWI, or under an illegal drug.

Ted
Glad you were not injured and same for the vixens. Positive thing they got an express lesson for life.

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 07:38 PM   #3
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
I drive one too, but it only occurred to me afterwards that it was also highly crash-rated. I'm glad to hear there was only bent metal...
Old 02-02-2018, 09:45 PM   #4
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Glad you are able to walk away from that. I would bet in a day or three you're going to be very sore.

Funny thing about those "5 Star Crash Ratings". They only are 5 stars if you are hit by a vehicle that is approximately the same size/weight as yours. So if you're driving one of those little cracker box cars and get hit by a pickup, don't count on having your 5 stars protecting you. If you're in a Fiat and get hit by another Fiat, you probably have 5 stars, but what are the odds of that happening.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:36 AM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Ted: Glad you’re ok. The adrenaline settled down yet?
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 08:50 AM   #6
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Ted: Glad you’re ok. The adrenaline settled down yet?
Was more like a woman going through menopause, shock, then anger, and finally tears. All good now.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 01:18 AM   #7
Guru

City: hawaii
Vessel Name: #31
Vessel Model: ex-Navy MUB 50 fish/cruise
Good thing the scuba tanks didn’t get damaged, they can turn into dangerous projectiles if the necks are broken off!
I wonder if there are any regs related to transporting those?
Old 02-11-2018, 05:46 AM   #8
Guru

City: Oriental N.C.
Vessel Name: true heading
Vessel Model: marine trader 38 dc
glad everyone is ok. take your truck to a good 4 wheel alignment shop for an alignment and height check as soon as it comes out of the shop. a lot of people find problems later when they go to trade there vehicle in or start having to buy a lot of tires.
timb is offline   Reply With Quote