Well, Sundays are now shot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s why we started 75 years ago, but why are we still doing it in 2020? Is it because we feel a need to overcompensate? Like those “we’re number 1” chants when we haven’t been number 1 in much of anything good in decades?

It is sad to see a country so obviously in decline while it’s citizenry loudly proclaims that things are just fine and that nothing has changed.

My sister-in-law's husband, from England, grew up when the sun never set on the British Empire.

No empire is eternal.

I have no first hand knowledge, only anecdotal but I'm not sure this is totally correct. Of course it might depend on which parameters you are comparing.

You would be right. And it is sinking fast.

Yes it is about the flag and the anthem. This is how they get a reaction from the spectators.

They are using the flag and anthem as a political tool. One could say that the team owners are also using the flag and anthem as a tool.

If they really wanted attention that involved actual personal sacrifice, they could kneel when the football is snapped, when a pitch is thrown, during a jump ball,a face off or a scorching serve. Kneeling during the flag and anthem is Kabuki theatre.

The American flag and anthem has turned into a jingoistic sales gimmick or anti-establishment lever.

There will never be a comfortable time for white folks to be reminded about our country’s continuing racism problem. For us to tell people they should protest during a time that upsets us less is at best tone deaf, and at worst amplifies our current racist policies.

It may be Kabuki theatre to you, but it’s a matter of life and death to the protestors.

]My sister-in-law's husband from England, grew up when the sun never set on the British Empire

Your brother, or your brothers ex wife?

Last edited:
About the response I expected. Patriotism comes in many forms. Your is one, albeit quite simplistic and narrow-minded. I'll match my patriotism against yours any day. Perhaps you were a young man during the Viet Nam years. Your words are quite similar to those expressed against all those Commie kids protesting the war except today we know it was all a waste. Same with Iraq. By the way my father was against the Viet Nam war from the outset. Yet, he was a guy, a sailor, manning a machine gun mowing down more than a few Japs trying to retake the recently-taken airfield on Bougainville. He fought in three Pacific campaigns. He was a patriot. I have two sons who have served, one still active duty, a lifer. So ......
Maybe I have gotten confused by all of the double negatives, but THIS rabid patriot is diametrically opposed to your opinion, and in complete agreement with that of the OP. I won't be watching any kneeling or listening to any alternative national anthem (or even watching any movies staring leftists -- not because I am boycotting, but now that I know their extreme political views, they are type cast for me and I cannot believe them in the role of a normal person).
Edit -- having read more of your post, I think everyone would be better off if you moved away. Hopefully, you will find some country that will take you.

Thank you for your kind words.
catalinajack,

Please don't move away unless you want to. I support the concept that one doesn't need to accept everything about their country to be a "patriot" and to be welcomed to stay. In fact, the people who stay and work to change things get my full respect. It always sounds a little off to me to hear "love it or leave it." What did people fight for? The right to say "yes sir, whatever you say sir, or I'll meekly leave my country"?

To me the spirit of the USA (if there is one spirit) is a certain vibrancy and energy to change, improve, go-and-do-and-be. That's when we shine. Not marching lockstep.

I'm sure there are many US citizens here who don't think as I do. I would never say we would all be better off if they moved away, even if I might think to myself at certain moments. Diversity is one of our strengths (and could be even better).

(Of course we did score big time when certain scientists, doctors, and intellectuals left their own country and came here to the US, so I guess if people like you leave, other countries will reap the benefit.)

Found this.

The*tradition of*playing the*"Star Spangled Banner"*at sporting events*dates back to 1918, when a live band*played the song during the*seventh inning of*the*first*game*of*the*World Series between*the*Chicago Cubs and*the*Boston Red Sox.
What exactly is the point of playing the national anthem prior to a sporting event anyways?

It's actually a holdover from WW2 baseball.

Maybe it's time to stop the tradition. Pull the stage from the actors. Judge them on how well they play the sport and not their politics. Heck a lot of them aren't even Americans.

Play the national anthem at functions and occasions where it is appropriate.

I can think of few things more un-American than the way "Patriot" is often used these days. At least in the 1970s we had a sense of humor. Remember Archie Bunker?

I find it telling that you are upset about people kneeling during the national anthem. But apparently cops kneeling on the neck of black men until they die does not bother you at all. and I really don't care what you think about me living in this country or not it is not up to you, in your opinion is meaningless

I am waiting for College Football. Go Dawgs

For the rest, NFL, NASCAR, Baseball, NHL are all DEAD to me.

I don't have an issue with honoring someone by taking a knee as a sign of respect, however, when the National Anthem is played, YOU STAND REMOVE COVER and PUT YOUR HAND OVER YOUR HEART! Period. No compromise.

I find it telling that you are upset about people kneeling during the national anthem. But apparently cops kneeling on the neck of black men until they die does not bother you at all. and I really don't care what you think about me living in this country or not it is not up to you, in your opinion is meaningless

Motion, you are making a HUGE assumption when you assume I am not upset by what happened to George Floyd. As a retired cop and as an American, what I saw in that video shocked and disgusted me. There is no punishment strong enough for the cop that knelt on his neck until Floyd died.

But, like many, I believe that Antifa and other political activists are using his death as a justification for their rioting in cities across the country. Floyd was killed by a Minneapolis cop. We all know that. So can someone please explain to me why the rioters have targeted federal buildings. The federal law enforcement agencies had nothing to do with his death.

And why are other cities across the country having riots? Is it just a way for these rioters to have their fun trying to destroy property?

Here's my way of showing my support for LEO's across my region. I had 200 of these bumper stickers printed and passed them ouit to local police and sheriff depts. They went so quickly I ordered another 200 and those will be ready tomorrow.
20200729-092425.jpg

20200729-092439.jpg

It's hard to see but the background is the LEO American flag complete with the blue stripe.

If present and former cops don't show their support for fellow officers, the only voices heard will be those of the rioters.

Motion, you are making a HUGE assumption when you assume I am not upset by what happened to George Floyd. As a retired cop and as an American, what I saw in that video shocked and disgusted me. There is no punishment strong enough for the cop that knelt on his neck until Floyd died.

But, like many, I believe that Antifa and other political activists are using his death as a justification for their rioting in cities across the country. Floyd was killed by a Minneapolis cop. We all know that. So can someone please explain to me why the rioters have targeted federal buildings. The federal law enforcement agencies had nothing to do with his death.

And why are other cities across the country having riots? Is it just a way for these rioters to have their fun trying to destroy property?

Here's my way of showing my support for LEO's across my region. I had 200 of these bumper stickers printed and passed them ouit to local police and sheriff depts. They went so quickly I ordered another 200 and those will be ready tomorrow.
20200729-092425.jpg

20200729-092439.jpg

It's hard to see but the background is the LEO American flag complete with the blue stripe.

If present and former cops don't show their support for fellow officers, the only voices heard will be those of the rioters.
if fellow police officers don't report or stop these bad cops it makes you all look bad. I'm sorry but that's just the way it is. and the reason there are protests all over the country is it is not just one needless Black death it is many. And it's just not 2020 it has gone on since slavery ended. You didn't want to hear the story when the football player kneel on the field. That was a non-violent peaceful protest. The president of the United States called and son of a bitches has and said they should be fire and leave the country....What would you have them do write letters to their councilman?

Last edited:
That's your opinion. But until America starts representing all its citizens. Don't expect that kind of compliance to a symbol that only represents freedom for part of the population. if you don't accept that please explain why the president is only sending federal troops into cities and states controlled by democrats. And by the way antifi. Is literally an anti-fascist movement. That should be a case closed we've had two wars fighting against fascist. And now according to you that is a bad thing

Last edited:
the reason there are protests all over the country is it is not just one needless Black death it is many.

I could be on board, a little more, with the "protests" if the black lives matter people really cared about black lives--there is only "outrage" when there is video of a black person being killed by a white person. Where is the outrage of Chicago children being killed by other black people? Where is the outrage when a black police officer is killed?

Some might suggest you get your own house in order before you start blaming others for all your problems.

please explain why the president is only sending federal troops into cities and states controlled by democrats

Have you looked to see which local governments of which American cities are tolerating and even advocating these destructive, law breaking "protests"?

I’m pretty sure that the whole point of BLM is to protest the widespread killing of black people under color of authority, no matter what race that officer may be.

I find it quite illuminating that the public protesting the killing of human beings does not justify the destruction or defacing of property, but the destruction or defacing of property justifies the killing of other humans by the authorities. Obviously a large portion of our population is placing a higher value on statuary or graffiti free federal buildings than on the rights and lives of the citizenry. Unless you are an armed member of a right wing militia, of course, then you can do whatever you want with the approval of the police.

Remember: the second amendment only applies to white people, just ask Philando Castile. Oh, that’s right you can’t ask him, he was shot dead by a cop after telling him that he was legally carrying a gun.....

Last edited:
Ask these people about their rights....................oh, wait--you can't they were all shot dead, This Year in Chicago

https://graphics.suntimes.com/homicides/

Again: the point of BLM is to bring awareness of the unwarranted killing of black Americans by those that are supposed to protect them. Not the killing of citizens of any race by criminals of any race.

I’ve finally figured out why the USA seems to always need an enemy...because if you don’t have one, you start attacking each other.

Last edited:
I’ve finally figured out why the USA seems to always need an enemy...because if you don’t have one, you start attacking each other.

When I declared my firearms and ammunition to the Bahamian officials this spring, I told them that I needed them for protection from all the Americans that come over there for the season. It was the same camping or rv’ing: I wasn’t worried about foreigners, just my fellow citizens.......

When I declared my firearms and ammunition to the Bahamian officials this spring, I told them that I needed them for protection from all the Americans that come over there for the season. It was the same camping or rv’ing: I wasn’t worried about foreigners, just my fellow citizens.......

I read an article in Backpacker magazine decades ago about what the best handgun to take on the trails...not for animals, but other hikers/weirdos :eek:

.because if you don’t have one, you start attacking each other.

And that, IMO, is one of the major casualties in all this "stuff"--used to be, in times of strife or crisis we were The UNITED States, we were the Melting Pot-people coming here wanted to be assimilated and be part of America. Seems that is no longer popular.

Absolutely amazing to me how "first responders" went from heroes to pariahs in a matter of days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom