Old 09-19-2020, 08:32 PM   #141
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
OK, very positive update tonight.

Coming up on two calendar months since the surgery (7/21).

I won't go into all the details of the post surgery experience, just to say I went through the gamut. Including opioid hallucinations, post surgery gout that had my right knee blow up like a melon, trouble in the toilet (physical more than medical), needing Sian to dress me, even after going potty, frustration at the pace of recovery, watching Netflix shows on my phone I'd never heard of all night, lost 12 pounds (since regained!), and up until ten days ago still had about 30% of the nerve pain.

That last bit had me more annoyed than frustrated. Had I gone through this to still have pain? The remaining pain was in the area of my previous piriformis syndrome/sciatica issue. My assumption was that the surgery resolved the nerve pain cause by the L4/L5 issue. That had masked the piriformis issue, and now I was still left with that.

I discussed this with my spine team at one of the follow up calls. They told me that they do move and annoy the nerves during surgery so I should give it more time and not assume that it would not be resolved. With the way I felt I thought that was a bit of BS.

Today, totally nerve pain free. About a week ago, it just started to go away.

I can drive the car as long as I want, can sit at the computer as long as I want, I am walking the beach and around the neighborhood - up to two miles so far.

I have a month to go in the brace and then physio. I still can't put on and take off my socks as my muscles are tight (well I can take off my socks but they somehow take off across the room!). But that is currently my only physical limitation - apart from still not being allowed to bend, twist, and lift more than ten pounds - but that is by medical direction, not by how I feel.

Really in a great place right now. Onwards and ever upwards!
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 10:22 PM   #142
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
Great to hear that even though it’s been a struggle you may be completely pain free one day.
My case is different although I ‘ve prayed each time for the xray/mri to discover something that can be a permanent fix. I have fairly good disc vertebrae spacing and no nerve pinching leg numbness. I have a lot of wear and tear in and around the spinal colum muscle and ligament support system. Debilitating back spasms put me down and because I’m on blood thinners for atrial fibrillation I can’t use anti inflammatory medicine. Prednisone is what gives me some relief but as you mentioned the insomnia, weight loss, metal tasting food and general wonky feeling from steroids is a grin and bear it situation. So my cure is a life style change to cope with how I use the boat. I have been hands on for 40 years doing 95% of routine maintenance. I’m going to pay someone to do that from now on, sea cocks are going be opened at the start of boating and closed for winterizing, just a lot less of bending, twisting will hopefully give me a few more years of boating. Not complaining I’ve had a good long run but all good things end eventually. I hope your enjoyment of boating is measured in many many more years.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 10:24 PM   #143
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Keep doing everything right! It is all worth it to not have nerve pain. That pain can get really debilitating.
Old 09-20-2020, 01:48 AM   #144
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Wonderful news Menzies.
For HiDHo, do you swim? My back was the reason to take it up, years ago, it still maintains my back with no sciatica from the L5-S1 disc impinging the nerve. When the nearby lap pool closed for Covid I felt myself degrading, reopening was very welcome. Some conditions likely benefit more than others, some not at all, but it works for me. The water gives support while swimming, not fully weight bearing makes it easier to get started. And it`s good all over exercise I enjoy.
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 07:17 AM   #145
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
BruceK we have access to our townhome complex pools both in Florida and Alabama but I can’t seem to get into using it regularly, my bad, I know it’s an excellent non load bearing way to exercise.
I do every other day low back stretching exercises to ward off back muscle spasm trying to keep everything loose and limber. and they help. One of the joys of retirement is taking the day off to recuperate after a day that brings on the pain. I know I’m one of millions dealing with chronic low back pain, who knows wonder drugs are created everyday.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 10:24 PM   #146
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
BruceK we have access to our townhome complex pools both in Florida and Alabama but I can’t seem to get into using it regularly, my bad, I know it’s an excellent non load bearing way to exercise.
I know it`s not for everyone, but I found the neurosurgeon,many years ago, saying "You can swim or I can operate" very persuasive. If I slack off sciatica, back pain, cramps etc slowly come back. When I saw a physio after a compression fracture in a freak fall directly on L1,he said my back muscles were very strong while my core muscles were crap. So it works, the muscles strengthen and take the load instead of the spinal structures. If I didn`t enjoy the swimming, I`d be less diligent.1km 3X a week, I kind of switch off, a bit like meditation.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:14 PM   #147
Guru

I had the three month follow up with the surgeon this morning.

I had X-Rays first and she just took two from the side. I asked her if that was all the Dr. had requested and she said yes.

When I met with the surgeon he gave me the all clear to toss my brace and go to Physio.

I asked why just the two side-on images. He said the focus was on any movement of the fusion - i.e. any gaps or openings looking from side on and there were none. The fusion was still solid. He said he wouldn't expect any significant bone fusion until the one year mark.

So good to go, don't over reach on the physio.

I came home. Ceremonially threw the brace over my shoulder onto the floor (but put it away in case I need a good one later), had a cup of tea and went into the engine room and checked everything out and filled the coolant expansion tanks!

Off on the boat again tomorrow morning!
Old 10-20-2020, 07:27 PM   #148
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 07:36 PM   #149
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr.m. Good news BUT DON'T GET TOO COCKY!!!!! Healing takes time and at YOUR age....

Old 10-20-2020, 08:14 PM   #150
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
...I came home. Ceremonially threw the brace over my shoulder onto the floor (but put it away in case I need a good one later), had a cup of tea and went into the engine room and checked everything out and filled the coolant expansion tanks!

Off on the boat again tomorrow morning!
How very Irish (or UKish) to celebrate with a cuppa! I hope it goes well.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:20 PM   #151
Ted
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Okisollo
One of my grandmothers was Welsh

Bad news needed a cuppa tea
Good news deserved a cuppa tea
Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 08:57 PM   #152
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
One of my grandmothers was Welsh

Bad news needed a cuppa tea
Good news deserved a cuppa tea
One of my wives was Welsh.

Oh, hang on a min, she still is my wife!

Sian.