Are we at critical mass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RTF...looks like my new policy is a good one. Glad I didnt waste time on 10 citations.

DE. HAH! As of yet, you have NOT provided ANY citations for ANY of your "facts" in ANY threads. You must be a walking, talking OED.

To answer the original question, yes I think we've reached critical mass (too many people and still growing). While there may only appear to be scattered shortages currently, we're consuming at a longterm unsustainable pace. I would compare it to a tsunami wave coming toward you on the beach. You see a bigger than normal wave coming, but have no idea of the magnitude of the problem until it rises up and engulfs you.

Ted

Wifey B: Amazing we have no problem getting people who want to work. Could it be we pay and provide decent benefits? :rolleyes:
All a matter of perspective. I suspect you are in that raise the min wage camp. Forget the obvious inflation in everything if that happens, expect your dockage to go through the roof. Our new contracts are coming with the marinas right to nearly double the cost if it happens, mid contract year. Truck rates wont be doubling. Your retirement wont be doubling, or any other revenue stream. If you want to commit financial suicide for yourself, be my guest... dont drag the rest of us along please.

Just pondering the thought of critical mass in humanity. Are we there? Im not talking about mass starvation and global illnesses I'm talking about 1st world critical mass. Were I live there are zero water front lots for sale, they have all been bought. In my work place (bulkheads/piers) its very hard to obtain material for regular jobs and almost impossible for large jobs. When I go eat, last night for example the resturants are so busy they don't answer the phone and when they do its 40 minutes for take out, there is an hour 1/2 wait for a table.
I see Texas in chaos (no power, food or water) because of a winter storm.
New SUV's are north of 70k and you can't find one for sale,
I think the next bubble is going to be upper-middle middle class people! Not sure what the bubble will do but the zero interest rate policy has driven an entire class of folks, myself included, into a area of spending ability they shouldn't have.
Just some observations

Mr CR, we all are being fed news that’s managed, censored or spun in many different ways. Any TF Texans that might post the truth about the winter storm power causes would be welcomed.
In the area that I live many are still hunkered down in pandemic mod trying to figure out how many masks to wear out of there homes.
Yes the price of everything seems to be increasing, wait for the next real estate melt down, over valued appraisals leading the charge again.
I don’t think I will be here for the USA bankruptcies ala what we did to the USSR arms raise style but I think China has the play book memorized. The russian people survived it and and we will too.

This is one of those discussions that is all about perspective...not what "experts" say. The OP wasn't describing famine, or pandemics, he had his opinion on what was "enough".

No one here is wrong if you support your "perspective".

There are people who live in cities and those that live in rural areas.....and those in between. So the spread of opinions will be widely varied.

I love rural, I don't like being told a vacation spot is booked till next year. I would have to think about it some more, but think this country at about 250 million people would be plenty, certainly no more. Every person that come along may have something to add, but ultimately dilutes my vision of the USA. No flag waving, no politics, I have spent a lifetime thinking and seeing so trying to give me "wisdom" on the subject is comical as it is the informed opinion of some one....just like all of you.....just with different likes and opinions.

There is nothing for me to add other than answer the OP which I have....not "expert" opinion, or anything else but MY opinion.

Last edited:
How do y'all have so many people over 100, is it not cold up there? Is it the Molson beer? haha just kidding. I've been boating and drinking all day. Cheers

I like Molson and hope it makes me last to a 100.....OK...

I confess, I like a 99 other beers too and a even 100 may help my superstition. :)

I dont want to hear about people that dont have what they need. They dont have it because they dont want to work for it. I have downsized my business, tired of trying to find people that want to work. A local marine outfit stipped doing recoveries, cant get people tgat want to work. Got som A/C parts from the only guy with a 100ton travel lift for 500 miles... he is around 80 and doing the majority of every yard job he takes himself... cant get help that wants to work.

So yea...if "Joe Person" doesn't care enough to work for it i sure as he$$ am not gonna worry for him. And if i have to work less to not have a profit to avoid being taxed to death to feed that same person, so be it. With what i have and skills i have for under the table work, ill survive... because i have worked and learned the skills i need. If "joe person" is too lazy, or feels too entitled to do that, i firmly wish Darwin's law upon him. As with wifey b I make no appologies fir my beliefs or attitudes.

Don't worry, a LOT of Americans (to be politically correct, and I respect most in the Western Hdmisphere) are right with you jgtrucking.

Wifey B: Amazing we have no problem getting people who want to work. Could it be we pay and provide decent benefits? :rolleyes:

Tiny, local example, I have heard plenty of other examples that slam dunk yours.

Sure some jobs are "choice".... but I bet you don't hire everyone who applies.

Some people have to take jobs they want but aren't remotely suited for.

Tiny, local example, I have heard plenty of other examples that slam dunk yours.

Sure some jobs are "choice".... but I bet you don't hire everyone who applies.

Some people have to take jobs they want but aren't remotely suited for.

Wifey B: Couldn't possibly hire all who apply. Way too many. Can't even hire all good applicants. We only have jobs for 13,000 or so. Yes, we support a higher minimum wage, thinking it shouldn't go decades without rising. Our minimum wage was $15 but goes to $16 with Costco's increase. Many major employers, many times our size, now at $15. :)

However, we can't hire those who haven't gotten the necessary education. All we can do is encourage them to get it.

Wifey B: Couldn't possibly hire all who apply. Way too many. Can't even hire all good applicants. We only have jobs for 13,000 or so. Yes, we support a higher minimum wage, thinking it shouldn't go decades without rising. Our minimum wage was $15 but goes to $16 with Costco's increase. Many major employers, many times our size, now at $15. :)

However, we can't hire those who haven't gotten the necessary education. All we can do is encourage them to get it.

So, an interesting question:
Florida's minimum wage is $8.56. Since you pay almost twice the minimum as you no doubt see them worth that much more, if the federal minimum goes to $15 (the lowest valued employee), how much more will you pay them as they are clearly above the minimum standard?

BTW, I applaud you for paying a better wage. Clearly you have no need for the government telling you what should be fair.

Ted

David, I am a left winger. I do not resent people but I do resent folks who broad brush characterize me and others based on their prejudicial view of well, just about everything and anybody who has a different view of life and the world.
They say that the world population curve is flattening, and will stop at about 10, or 10.5 billion or so, then decrease. Most peoples wives and daughters dont have as many kids as their grannies did. Even in third world countries thats the case. As women get more education, more freedoms, more access to birth control, etc, they have less kids. Indeed, many countries are already at less than replacement values, muchless overpopulating.
Its pretty much just some left wingers who resent people.

Just pondering the thought of critical mass in humanity. Are we there? Im not talking about mass starvation and global illnesses I'm talking about 1st world critical mass. Were I live there are zero water front lots for sale, they have all been bought. In my work place (bulkheads/piers) its very hard to obtain material for regular jobs and almost impossible for large jobs. When I go eat, last night for example the resturants are so busy they don't answer the phone and when they do its 40 minutes for take out, there is an hour 1/2 wait for a table.
I think the next bubble is going to be upper-middle middle class people! Not sure what the bubble will do but the zero interest rate policy has driven an entire class of folks, myself included, into a area of spending ability they shouldn't have.
Just some observations

I'm not sure about the critical mass concept...and I don't agree about spending ability that they shouldn't have.... I think that line of thought smells all wrong to me....
but the points about waterfront property, eating out, etc....
yes, I've thought about that stuff a lot. It's funny how we all like to go to the same places...and how in so many instances supply is very slow to keep up with demand....
I hate standing in line waiting for a table...5-10 minutes, ok fine....but more than that ugh!
or lines more than 10-15 minutes at places like Disney..never mind 45 minutes plus! No thanks!

As an RV'er we have noticed a steep decline in available campground sites (not even pandemic related...this is trending over the last 10 years +)....

Hotels can even be that way now...you have to book way too far in advance!

Yes, there are lots of areas where it seems overcrowded

...and now a little poem to put things in focus:

Wah! Wah! Boo! Hoo! I lived through World War Two!

Shape up snowflakes, these times ain't bad at all.

156783917_2823672291283274_500544779022259033_n.jpg

Critical mass? Baloney. These thoughts have been with humanity for hundreds of years. Over those hundreds of years, folks haven sounded the same warnings, that there are too many people, that resources will soon become catastrophically scarce. Odd that is hasn't happened yet.

Yes, we are. (I am a retired Environmental Scientist.) I will try to be concise.
Humanity has consumed a VAST quantity of available resources and polluted much of what remains. What US residents see is not global. Much of the world cannot safely use water or breathe the air. Most arable land is in use, as production falls due to climate change. There are scant resources left to address the needs of many. These "many" are exposed to corruption, oppression and violence - governmental, criminal, and corporate.
The developed countries have taken (bought, coerced, stolen) more than their (our) fair share. This is enabled by policy, inept governance, and armies. This is nothing new - it's ancient. But now, there are limitless humans and limited resources. The pressure is great, and systems become dynamic under pressure. Those who can relocate to a better life will. Increasingly, that better life will cost more and more.
BandB is on the right track.
I can provide suggested reading material.
Jacklyn

Critical mass? Baloney. These thoughts have been with humanity for hundreds of years. Over those hundreds of years, folks haven sounded the same warnings, that there are too many people, that resources will soon become catastrophically scarce. Odd that is hasn't happened yet.

Cancer isn't fatal. Well, up until it kills you that is. And you can have cancer for many years before you begin to feel the effects, and oftentimes that's too late.

Yes, we are. (I am a retired Environmental Scientist.) I will try to be concise.
Humanity has consumed a VAST quantity of available resources and polluted much of what remains. What US residents see is not global. Much of the world cannot safely use water or breathe the air. Most arable land is in use, as production falls due to climate change. There are scant resources left to address the needs of many. These "many" are exposed to corruption, oppression and violence - governmental, criminal, and corporate.
The developed countries have taken (bought, coerced, stolen) more than their (our) fair share. This is enabled by policy, inept governance, and armies. This is nothing new - it's ancient. But now, there are limitless humans and limited resources. The pressure is great, and systems become dynamic under pressure. Those who can relocate to a better life will. Increasingly, that better life will cost more and more.
BandB is on the right track.
I can provide suggested reading material.
Jacklyn
With that view, i hope you practiced your preaching and didnt reproduce.

Greetings,
Ms. j. Indeed Ms. BB IS on the right track BUT realistically, sorry to say, by circumstance the majority of the world population will still be under educated or uneducated and remain poor with no incentive to deal with their environment. Tough to think about recycling or where their garbage goes when there's no food on the table.

You see, when a person quotes a prior post and then types below it, like I'm doing here,
that means they are responding to that post, not necessarily the OP.

Sooo, I was actually responding to kthoennes' post, not yours, you see? :rolleyes:
My apologies Mr. KnotYet, you are correct. I don't like when that happens to me and now I've done it. Cheers Paul

Find the above discussion a bit off based on all sides. In my view the more salient stresses are

AI- 80% of current job loss is due to automation and robotics. That will continue and accelerate penetrating white collar jobs and the degreed professions. Increasing numbers of people have dropped out of the job market to the point unemployment statistics don’t reflect unemployment nor underemployment. Increase in dead end jobs with no hope of advancement is undercutting the basic work ethic. Absence of meaningful work is producing more mental health issues. Developed nations are dependent on consumerism. This model is dependent on workers with disposable income. This model is increasingly threatened as capital not labor is what’s required for production of goods and delivery of services.

Bioengineering- due to the income inequality from the above access to genetic modification and genetic drift will increase. Smart people reproduce with smart. Rich with rich. Educated with educated. Genetic segregation of populations will increase and become normative. Genetically advantaged populations will reproduce will their cohort solidifying that divide.

Just some observations

We have plenty of waterfront lots for sale where I live.

We didn't before Katrina, but we do now.

Back
Top Bottom