USS Lexington Found

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
USS Lexington has been located

Apparently already posted by BruceK though I did not see that post when I attempted to duplicate it. Because it's in Harbour Chat. For those not signed in perhaps this will be useful.

This is BruceK's post -

"The sunken USS Lexington has been found 800km off the Queensland coast,76 years after sinking during the Battle of the Coral Sea. Pictures suggest the ship is remarkably well preserved.
USS Lexington: WWII aircraft carrier found 76 years after it sank in the Battle of the Coral Sea - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)"

Last edited:
Cool that they found her. I was very surprised how good of condition everything is especially the aircraft.

Was the USS Lexington Aircraft Carrier used in the 60’s and 70’s stationed in Pensacola as a Navy Training vessel a namesake of this sunken ship?

Cool that they found her. I was very surprised how good of condition everything is especially the aircraft.

Not a lot of oxygen in the water 2 miles below the surface. Also, the sun doesn't reach down there, eliminating many sun light dependent organisms.

Ted

I`m thinking it may be preserved as a war grave. We did that with the wreck of a Japanese mini sub which sank off our coast after attacking Sydney, but it was within our territorial waters, the Lexington of course is not.

I want to be Paul Allen when I grow up. Just driving my giant mega yacht around the world looking for amazing shipwrecks.

Well when they find plane #242 on the deck I want my dad's service revolver and sword back. He left them behind on the plane when he realized that they would be less than useful as he climbed down the ropes to leave the ship.

"Was the USS Lexington Aircraft Carrier used in the 60’s and 70’s stationed in Pensacola as a Navy Training vessel a namesake of this sunken ship?"

Yes,, I "hit the boat" in T-28 ad S2F in training.

Great experience , tho today the auto pilot on fleet aircraft does most of the work.

In the 60's the mirror landing system was mounted at a remote field , so perhaps 100 field landings were practiced before going to the boat , and getting Naval Aviator wings after.

Back
Top Bottom