Trawler Rum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AMG

Vessel Name
Serenity
Vessel Make
Hershine 46

Attachments

• watsons-trawler-rum.jpg
    watsons-trawler-rum.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 48
Let us know what you think.

But IMO, Captain and (diet) Coke is the only rum drink on the boat for me.

We had a thread on here recently of all our favorite rum drinks and The Captain was disparaged - but you can't beat the classics! :D

Tasting Note by The Chaps at Master of Malt
Nose: Thick, tarry molasses notes on the nose. This also offers up cinnamon and dates.

Palate: Coffee beans, spice and dark treacle. A rich, thick, slightly spirity palate.

Finish: Develops on oak and fragrant woods.

Not my style, but if you like Pussers or other sweet, molasses-y rum, go for it and let us know what you think. They also say they can't ship to the US right now, not sure if that means just retail or wholesale, too.

[I'm with Menzies; Captain's spiced is a good everyday rum, especially if you're mixing it with Coke. Less so on the clear stuff. For shots there are far better options, but you will be paying more.]

Last edited:
I only drink rum made on islands I've been to. Not that it is better, just better memories!
So far: Puerto Rico, Bahamas, St. Croix, St. Thomas, BVI, and Barbados. Mmmmm...

I don't know if Hawaii makes rum or even grows much cane anymore.

I only drink rum made on islands I've been to. Not that it is better, just better memories!
So far: Puerto Rico, Bahamas, St. Croix, St. Thomas, BVI, and Barbados. Mmmmm...

When we are in the Islands the bars seem to use Myers for all their cocktails. I bought two bottles and brought one and two thirds home with us to give away. Maybe I'm a bit heavy handed with my pour but it tastes like medicine - Calamine Lotion to be exact!

Zacapa is my go to- but my kids got me a huge jug of Jonah's Curse (it's not too bad)!

When we are in the Islands the bars seem to use Myers for all their cocktails. I bought two bottles and brought one and two thirds home with us to give away. Maybe I'm a bit heavy handed with my pour but it tastes like medicine - Calamine Lotion to be exact!
Cruzan was <$1 in the grocery store on St. Croix when I was a kid - my first taste!
Mt. Gay from Barbados is decent and widely available. So many rums, so little time...

I'm currently having some Barracuda Cay from Panama. Okay, not an island but a peninsula!

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. KY. "I only drink rum made on islands I've been to." Well boyo, you'll have to visit "The Rock" (Newfoundland...No boys I'm not forgetting Labrador but she's on the mainland see and Mr. KY's talking about islands). VERY famous "rum"...

iu

Try once rhum (yes that's the way we spell it) from Martinique and you will never go back (and not talking about St James the most "industrial" one but La Mauny, Trois Rivieres, J.M, HSE, Clement and so on).
My favorite is J.M. or La Mauny (their Hors d'Age is just nectar).

L

What's your favorite from BVI?
Fell in love with Sebastian's on Tortola when we used to fly there all the time.

If ever "downunder", try this 75.9% proof little rum. I was given a bottle by the original maker,CSR (Commonwealth Sugar Refineries),years ago, never been game to open it.

What's your favorite from BVI?
Fell in love with Sebastian's on Tortola when we used to fly there all the time.

My family stayed on Bellamy Cay in Trellis Bay years ago. Al Prentis ran it then.

A couple of years back, cruised the north coast of the Dominican Republic and discovered a rum entitled/labelled "Q". Loved it and drank a fair amount of it but have not been able to find it at home or anywhere else I have been. Anyone know it?

A couple of years back, cruised the north coast of the Dominican Republic and discovered a rum entitled/labelled "Q". Loved it and drank a fair amount of it but have not been able to find it at home or anywhere else I have been. Anyone know it?

This one?

https://donq.com/

Trawler rum

Not sure? Don't recall the "Don" part of the label?? Also been through Peurto Rico and don't recall it there either. Thanks anyway.

Rum and Coke is a beginner's drink. I've graduated to gin with tonic water, Martinis, or rarely an old fashioned.

Rum and Coke is a beginner's drink. I've graduated to gin with tonic water, Martinis, or rarely an old fashioned.

Then I am quite happy staying as a beginner thank you!

Need a picture Bruce.
It`s on the boat, which is at Cottage Point for some work. So is Doriana, met the new owner recently, they`re getting her looking nice.

My go-tos are Flor de Cana (Nicaragua) gold with Coke or ice, white with fruit juice (rarely), and Black Seal with ginger beer or Vernors for a Dark and Stormy.
Plantation makes a few good sipping rums, including a pineapple rind infused one which is not too sweet to enjoy.

Brugal Anejo from the Dominican Republic for rum and ginger beer.

23 year old Ron Zapaca. Like drinking iced tea.

My wife calls it panty remover.

Kirk and Sweeney when I can afford it .

Attachments

• A3CCA900-8618-451F-9F7F-922D965BC903.jpg
    A3CCA900-8618-451F-9F7F-922D965BC903.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 20
I make my own because it is so simple. The ingredients for a gallon of good rum is about $20. I would put it in a pretty bottle from some fancy brand so that guests don't know that it is homemade, but I found that not having guests like that aboard was easier.

I haven't made rum for awhile. I was on a 100% rye kick for awhile and found it much tastier. Probably time to start another batch.

The best rum , Plantation XO 20th anniversary. Two cubes and Two fingers. Trust me, after 9 months of virus lock down and a dozen trials this is the result of my labors! PS never allow cola in the vicinity!

Back
Top Bottom