Traveling south from Michigan in a Land Trawler!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Knot Salted

Vessel Name
Knot Salted
Vessel Make
1981 Californian 34 LRC
Knot Salted is unable to make a trip this time of year, so...

On a whim, Lisa and I just bought a little old 31ft long 12 ft tall motorhome, redid the salon, galley, berth, and pilothouse to where we can be comfortable and travel relatively covid safe. (This while sitting in our snow covered freezing driveway with a tiny 1500 watt electric heater for the last three weeks. ) I’ve not been on my back under a vehicle changing all lubes in a very long time, let alone outdoors in winter.
Painting the exterior will have to wait.

We want to head to warmer climes when this weather breaks.
We had planned to go last week, then the deep cold came in and that keeps us here as we have fleet customers that rely on our bulk additives for cold ops, and we need to be available if issues arise. So, now we consider going next week, but everywhere we look, from east Texas to East Florida is darn right cold!

We are fortunate enough to be in line for vaccinations on March 8, so now we have a return deadline. I hate deadlines.

Might just wait until early March to eliminate the deadline and hope for warmer conditions. (?)

Either way, Here is where TF comes in:

Now, somewhat after the fact, we realize that most campgrounds and state parks are reporting full up for weeks and months. We plan to use Walmart and Cracker Barrel moorings for overnights during travel. Not sure what we can find for near shore anchorages where we can linger for a few days with access to beaches or waterways by bicycle. If your marina allows, or you have a spot by the barn,
or anywhere a fun couple might drop their Land Trawler anchor for a day or few, please let us know.
We are not looking for a free ride, and will pay to stay.
We don’t have a set date, route or destinations aside from hoping to fish, swim and enjoy some warm days!

Sure look forward to your thoughts and ideas as we figure this out, and either way, it gives us something fun to think about. Thank you!

Consider joining "Harvest hosts" and "Boondockers welcome".

It costs to join but it's minimal and those are stay for free sites, and definitely an upgrade from Walmart or Cracker barrel.

We've stayed at a couple of Harvest host sites and plan on doing some of the others as well.

Thanks Jay! Just now Joined HH. Would really like to be able to visit with fellow TFers if we can.

Last edited:
Mixing boating concepts with RV discussions is dizzying. And....who's Lisa? ;)

Sorry Shrew,
No offense intended. Lisa is the Admiral of Knot Salted. We are hoping to connect with fellow boaters on our journey.

Last edited:
Not sure what is cold to you...but it's 82 degrees in Ft Pierce today.

Most boaters and RVer are running their air conditioning and I am still sweating after a couple mile walk...even with the cool breeze off the water.

WISH WE WERE THERE NOW!

forecast is not great for N FL. We may have to go the distance south....
6.4mpg is not quite as bad as Knot Salted, but still heavy.

I do have a friend in Stewart that I should visit.

Last edited:
Sorry Shrew,
No offense intended. Lisa is the Admiral of Knot Salted. We are hoping to connect with fellow boaters on our journey.

LOL!!!! I gathered as much. It's a tiny, irrelevant pet peeve of mine when people start referring to their family members by their first name or their boat by the vessel name (as if we all know).

kind of like dropping a bunch of, as yet undefined, acronyms. ;)

My predilection for irrelevancy is that obvious?

now where is that dumb, smiley emoji to attach....

Last edited:
Things are looking up for departure this Thursday 2/11.
Will update as we go-if we go[emoji41]

You're a few steps ahead of us. We are selling Beachcomber and are looking for a 35'-38' diesel pusher. I'm not anxious to do a ton of work on it so I am looking for something that's 2007 or newer and road ready.

Then we're going to be land cruising.

Thanks Jay! Just now Joined HH. Would really like to be able to visit with fellow TFers if we can.

Good.
An interesting HH (at least it was to us) is the Tallahassee auto museum if that works out on your path. literally right off Rt 10 on the E side of the city. Its a great museum, and will occupy at least a couple of hours.

Anyway good luck in your travels.

We just woke up from spending the night in our '99 36' Foretravel at the Tallahassee auto museum courtesy of Harvest Hosts. Nice, easy stopover but a bit of road noise. A fan easily overcomes that though.

Make it to Fort Pierce, Fl by Saturday and catch the last night of the gathering...

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s27/2021-tf-gathering-se-fl-02-17-02-21-a-52342.html

That would be fantastic to see a slice of our group! I am quite sure that we cannot move that fast, and it would be a three day trip minimum. Would hope to catch some stragglers that don't want to leave...:smitten:

Deciding today if and where we are safe to traverse the mountains (no new snow as we drive through). Thank you!!

We just woke up from spending the night in our '99 36' Foretravel at the Tallahassee auto museum courtesy of Harvest Hosts. Nice, easy stopover but a bit of road noise. A fan easily overcomes that though.

Cool! We just joined yesterday. May just follow you through Tallahassee!

Do you have destinations planned, reserved ahead?

Last edited:
You're a few steps ahead of us. We are selling Beachcomber and are looking for a 35'-38' diesel pusher. I'm not anxious to do a ton of work on it so I am looking for something that's 2007 or newer and road ready.

Then we're going to be land cruising.

That is a beautiful boat you have there. I am sure yours will indeed be a Land Yacht!

I'll be in Okeechobee friday thru sunday maybe I can make a trip during the day to say hello.

That would be great! We will keep in touch with you, and would surely enjoy that visit!

Now, somewhat after the fact, we realize that most campgrounds and state parks are reporting full up for weeks and months.

Wifey B: Are you sure? We found plenty of KOA's and similar campgrounds available when we did our little holiday adventure in a Sprinter RV/Office. :)

Wifey B: Are you sure? We found plenty of KOA's and similar campgrounds available when we did our little holiday adventure in a Sprinter RV/Office. :)

Well, we are sure. We have had a very difficult time finding space at the state parks here in Florida. We've scored a few, but they were usually one of the last openings available.
As you know state parks for FL resident seniors is a really great deal.
Not particularly a KOA fan as we prefer a little space, but we are staying at a private rv park next week. They are ok once in a while

"That is a beautiful boat you have there. I am sure yours will indeed be a Land Yacht!"

Thanks. I am going to buy used but not "well used".

https://www.allstays.com/
great little database of places to stay, dump stations, LP refills, etc...
you can find which walmarts etc. allow parking, etc...
and I've used it to find wonderful little places good for an overnight....not only parking lots but state forests, etc...
very useful I've found.

there is a pro level fee based that I find worthwhile. I can't recall what's available for free.
It used to be a smartphone app, but on android at least he had some issue with Google charging for map use so the android app went away. I think it might still be available on IOS.
Regardless I just use the online version.

yes, in the last dozen years or so we've seen it get very much more difficult to find places at state parks, etc.... at least weekend and holiday times

Things are looking up for departure this Thursday 2/11.
Will update as we go-if we go[emoji41]

Departed at the crack of 9:15 this morning. Trying for somewhere between Louisville and Nashville depending on weather and moods.
The Admiral just took over.
Sailing seems smoother.
Hmm...

For those that thought about stopping by the TF gathering....there may have been some confusion on the dates... check the threat I linked for best info.

"Mixing boating concepts with RV discussions is dizzying."

Perhaps, but the owners goals are usually similar and a guess would be 500 or 1000 RV are made for every 35-50 ft boat .

This large customer group advances design and equipment far faster than usually older and more cautious boaters.

Back
Top Bottom