Old 02-10-2021, 10:32 AM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Mixing boating concepts with RV discussions is dizzying. And....who's Lisa?
Wifey B:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=de...=youtube_gdata
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 10:37 AM   #22
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot Salted View Post
Now, somewhat after the fact, we realize that most campgrounds and state parks are reporting full up for weeks and months.
Wifey B: Are you sure? We found plenty of KOA's and similar campgrounds available when we did our little holiday adventure in a Sprinter RV/Office.
Old 02-10-2021, 10:43 AM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: Are you sure? We found plenty of KOA's and similar campgrounds available when we did our little holiday adventure in a Sprinter RV/Office.
Well, we are sure. We have had a very difficult time finding space at the state parks here in Florida. We've scored a few, but they were usually one of the last openings available.
As you know state parks for FL resident seniors is a really great deal.
Not particularly a KOA fan as we prefer a little space, but we are staying at a private rv park next week. They are ok once in a while
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:56 AM   #24
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
"That is a beautiful boat you have there. I am sure yours will indeed be a Land Yacht!"

Thanks. I am going to buy used but not "well used".
Old 02-10-2021, 03:17 PM   #25

City: NE Florida
https://www.allstays.com/
great little database of places to stay, dump stations, LP refills, etc...
you can find which walmarts etc. allow parking, etc...
and I've used it to find wonderful little places good for an overnight....not only parking lots but state forests, etc...
very useful I've found.

there is a pro level fee based that I find worthwhile. I can't recall what's available for free.
It used to be a smartphone app, but on android at least he had some issue with Google charging for map use so the android app went away. I think it might still be available on IOS.
Regardless I just use the online version.

yes, in the last dozen years or so we've seen it get very much more difficult to find places at state parks, etc.... at least weekend and holiday times
skyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 03:12 PM   #26

City: Muskegon, MI
Vessel Name: Knot Salted
Vessel Model: 1981 Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Things are looking up for departure this Thursday 2/11.
Will update as we go-if we go[emoji41]

Departed at the crack of 9:15 this morning. Trying for somewhere between Louisville and Nashville depending on weather and moods.
The Admiral just took over.
Sailing seems smoother.
Hmm...
Knot Salted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 04:07 PM   #27
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
For those that thought about stopping by the TF gathering....there may have been some confusion on the dates... check the threat I linked for best info.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 06:08 AM   #28
FF
Guru

"Mixing boating concepts with RV discussions is dizzying."

Perhaps, but the owners goals are usually similar and a guess would be 500 or 1000 RV are made for every 35-50 ft boat .

This large customer group advances design and equipment far faster than usually older and more cautious boaters.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 06:56 AM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
For those that thought about stopping by the TF gathering....there may have been some confusion on the dates... check the threat I linked for best info.
2/17 thru 2/21?
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 07:53 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
2/17 thru 2/21?

Yes, though many only come for a night or two....
Old 02-12-2021, 08:09 AM   #31

City: NE Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"Mixing boating concepts with RV discussions is dizzying."

Perhaps, but the owners goals are usually similar and a guess would be 500 or 1000 RV are made for every 35-50 ft boat .

This large customer group advances design and equipment far faster than usually older and more cautious boaters.
I'm not so sure I've recognized the faster advance you write of....
As an RV'er for a long while now, from what I've seen these things are pretty bare bones basic, simple, cheaply built, and are riddled with issues that constantly make a lot of RV owners just shake their head, wondering if the folks that design and build them have ever even tried to use their products once. Except for the recent addition of things like solar and inverters, for the most part the systems haven't changed much in many years from what I can tell.
skyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 08:19 AM   #32
Guru

The RV advances in systems seemed to be a consensus years ago...not so much lately.

Many companies started to market their products to both communities and boaters saw that many items were RV grade but marketed for boaters....but cheaper and thus became popular. Thus many boaters are complaining that items don't last as long as "the good ole days".
Old 02-13-2021, 12:18 AM   #33
Guru

Wifey B: One thing I've concluded is that we are slower to see the advances made in something we're very familiar with or when we own something that has some years on it. The owner of a 20 year old trawler isn't seeing advances in boating, nor is the owner of a 20 year old RV seeing RV advances. While we don't own a true RV in just using a Mercedes Sprinter conversion, I was amazed at some of the "advancements" as I'd never spent days and nights in any form of RV. I imagine if I spent my first lengthy time on a boat, I'd be impressed similarly.

It's a bit like being around someone every day and you don't notice them aging, but see someone you haven't seen for 20 years and you sure do.
Old 02-13-2021, 05:56 AM   #34
Guru

If you do the maintenance on boats and RVs , tyou might keep up with advancements a bit more.

When fixing or replacing items some of us tend to research whether an upgrade to a newer system makes sense.

Also if it is truly a hobby,it seems to me publications in the old days (internet now) tends to update an owner as is going to shows and just plain old hanging out in marinas or parks and seeing all the different rigs.

Cost of rigs is also a consideration. My RV is only 2 years old but because I went small, simple and inexpensive.....much past LED lighting....it is not much different in in many ways less "modern` than the 5th wheel I had nearly 20 years ago.
Old 02-13-2021, 05:59 AM   #35
FF
Guru

Depending on the builder RV go from "sticks & staples" to custom built chassis or bus conversions. Just as hull builders vary in boat quality .

Much of the equipment tho has changed for the better. One example might be hot water heaters.

The old style was a 6+ gal box of water with a propane burner and perhaps a 120v electric element. The home style wall mounted were tried and failed to please as the water temp varied too much when showering.

The newest units have no water tank & can maintain temperature at high or low flows.

Water pumps ,air cond, heaters , reefers , ranges, waste grinders and 12v TV are much improved .

The old Head Hunter , Galley Maid equipment is too expensive for most recreational boaters.

The days of the $1,000 water pump are gone except in the big boat charter fleet.
Old 02-14-2021, 09:50 AM   #36

The Land Trawler Made it to Cedar Key last night.
A very cool place.
Will stay tonight, and part of tomorrow, then plan to head south along the gulf.
Fresh oysters on the grill tonight, and maybe a toadfish if I can get one.[emoji16]
Old 02-15-2021, 01:16 PM   #37

City: Edenton, NC
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Commander
Late to the discussion, but my marina here in Edenton NC has one camper semi-permanently parked near a pedestal and another in the parking lot.
jimfrens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 02:18 PM   #38

City: Cruising Florida and Bahamas
Vessel Name: Sapphire
Vessel Model: Tiara 53 Fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
You're a few steps ahead of us. We are selling Beachcomber and are looking for a 35'-38' diesel pusher. I'm not anxious to do a ton of work on it so I am looking for something that's 2007 or newer and road ready.

Then we're going to be land cruising.
After we PMd last Winter regarding a PNW boat, COVID changed our minds and we changed gears to a 35' DP motorcoach. We now spend 6 months aboard Sum Escape in FL and 6 months traveliing the US in the RV (12,000 miles last summer).
We got the Tifffin Allegro RED 33AA which has the short wheelbase allowing good manueverability for smaller campgrounds.
PM me if you want to pick our brains.
sum escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 05:20 PM   #39

Quote:
The Land Trawler Made it to Cedar Key last night.
A very cool place.
Will stay tonight, and part of tomorrow, then plan to head south along the gulf.
Fresh oysters on the grill tonight, and maybe a toadfish if I can get one.[emoji16]
Ended up with a nice Speckled Trout. Delicious.

Homosassa tomorrow, on to Bradenton or thereabouts, hoping to find a place to slip for a day or two.
Old 02-16-2021, 05:22 AM   #40
FF
Guru

"hoping to find a place to slip for a day or two."

The Canadians usually lock up FL state park campsites a year in advance , 2 weeks move, 2 weeks move to fill up their winter, but this year they seem to be locked up in the snow , so call ahead and find a state or county park, cheap and spacious sites.