Traveling into Alaska Restrictions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Geez Tom, even your own country is against your plans.

No worries here. ASD will be in quarantine for 2 weeks around Foggy bay. Then on to K-Town.

This is what Sea Venture and others have done.

Quite a bit different than B.C. It would appear Provinces are starting to ease restrictions.

An update on US boaters transiting through BC to SE AK:

My cruising buddy, who lives in Sidney BC, just spoke with a CBSA person in Victoria. She said the rules for transiting through BC to SE AK are very much as Canada's website describes under Transit through Canadian waters, though they could change of course. It seems likely we may have to show a recent negative COVID test, for example. Here's the web site:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/border#waters

Some additional items CBSA mentioned on the phone:

If you plan to transit to through BC waters to SE AK, make a written plan for your trip, including where you plan to anchor each night, where you will stop for fuel, and how you will stay isolated while in BC. CBSA assumes a six-knot boat to estimate how many days it would take, so there's no need to be in a great hurry.

Bring enough food/supplies (things that are allowed into BC - no potatoes, only so much alcohol....) to make it though BC to Ketchikan. Or, make arrangements with one of your fuel stops like Port McNeill to go shopping for you and deliver supplies to you at the fuel dock. You may not stay at a marina, or go shopping yourself. Don't stop at any small native communities like Klemtu or Hartley Bay.

Check into Canada in person at a CBSA office (Sidney, Victoria, Nanaimo, for examples) and provide them your written plan. After checking in, you do not need to call in to stop for fuel or to anchor.

Anchoring each night, follow your plan, as weather etc permits, until you cross into SE AK. Then call CBSA to check out of BC.

I think I have covered it fairly well, but I may have forgotten or mis-stated something. You certainly will have to check the rules for yourself.

An update on US boaters transiting through BC to SE AK:

My cruising buddy, who lives in Sidney BC, just spoke with a CBSA person in Victoria. She said the rules for transiting through BC to SE AK are very much as Canada's website describes under Transit through Canadian waters, though they could change of course. It seems likely we may have to show a recent negative COVID test, for example. Here's the web site:

If you plan to transit to through BC waters to SE AK, make a written plan for your trip, including where you plan to anchor each night, where you will stop for fuel, and how you will stay isolated while in BC. CBSA assumes a six-knot boat to estimate how many days it would take, so there's no need to be in a great hurry.

Bring enough food/supplies (things that are allowed into BC - no potatoes, only so much alcohol....) to make it though BC to Ketchikan. Or, make arrangements with one of your fuel stops like Port McNeill to go shopping for you and deliver supplies to you at the fuel dock. You may not stay at a marina, or go shopping yourself. Don't stop at any small native communities like Klemtu or Hartley Bay.

Check into Canada in person at a CBSA office (Sidney, Victoria, Nanaimo, for examples) and provide them your written plan. After checking in, you do not need to call in to stop for fuel or to anchor.

Anchoring each night, follow your plan, as weather etc permits, until you cross into SE AK. Then call CBSA to check out of BC.

I think I have covered it fairly well, but I may have forgotten or mis-stated something. You certainly will have to check the rules for yourself.
Good info. Thank you. In SEAK once you clear U.S. customs via ROAM you can wonder for your 14 day quarantine period.

An update on US boaters transiting through BC to SE AK: My cruising buddy, who lives in Sidney BC, just spoke with a CBSA person in Victoria. She said the rules for transiting through BC to SE AK are very much as Canada's website describes under Transit through Canadian waters, though they could change of course. It seems likely we may have to show a recent negative COVID test, for example. Here's the web site:

That’s a good rundown Richard and much the same as a friend was told in person in Nanaimo. Expect the "negative test no more than 72 hours before entering Canada” to be in effect as of Feb 15.

It would appear Provinces are starting to ease restrictions.
Certainly not the case in BC where the restrictions which have been in place for months have just been extended with an indefinite end date.

It is hinted that come March 1, if we continue the current trending, there might be some small tweaks; personal bubbles back to 6 from 2, movement between health areas more acceptable etc.

After reading something embedded way down in this from the CDC, current guidance is that vaccinated people who have had both doses and more than the specified time from the second dose, do not have to quarantine if exposed to someone with COVID-19 unless they display symptoms.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-19/info-by-product/clinical-considerations.html

This may change the testing requirements for people traveling to Alaska. Knowing the dire straits of the tourism industry in Alaska, I would expect a change for vaccinated individuals.

On the positive side lodge bookings for those lodges that plan to open are strong with most openings filled quickly.

That’s because the Alaska House can’t get organized after a month of trying. The Governor’s emergency powers expired and there has been no vote on extending them. My bet is they will be extended and some form of testing or proof of vaccination will be required. The State is losing Federal $$ for lack of an emergency declaration.

Well I don't think the state legislator would have the balls to do it, as most Alaskans wants the order to be gone.
That’s because the Alaska House can’t get organized after a month of trying. The Governor’s emergency powers expired and there has been no vote on extending them. My bet is they will be extended and some form of testing or proof of vaccination will be required. The State is losing Federal $$ for lack of an emergency declaration.

The Governor of Alaska has lifted the "Emergency" order for Alaska. So the restrictions to provide negative COVID test has been lifted.

It looks like the AK Department of Health sees it differently.
https://www.huschblackwell.com/alaska-state-by-state-covid-19-guidance

February 15, 2021:
The Alaska Department of Health and Social Services and Alaska’s Chief Medical Officer issued Health Advisory No. 2, which addresses new protocols regarding travel into Alaska.
Anyone entering Alaska from another state or country should:
Submit a travel declaration through the portal and arrive with proof of a qualifying negative COVID-19 test;
Follow the work plan that their employer filed with the State of Alaska; or
Receive a COVID-19 test upon arrival to Alaska and follow strict social distancing until results arrive.
Travelers may get an optional second COVID-19 test within 5-14 days after arrival.

The news article was also on the 15th.

The State is slow to react. As of today, you will see folks at the airport not complying. Alaska has vaccinated more folks, per capita than any other State. The Native medical system has an awesome system to distribute the vaccine.

It looks like the AK Department of Health sees it differently.
https://www.huschblackwell.com/alaska-state-by-state-covid-19-guidance

February 15, 2021:
The Alaska Department of Health and Social Services and Alaska’s Chief Medical Officer issued Health Advisory No. 2, which addresses new protocols regarding travel into Alaska.
Anyone entering Alaska from another state or country should:
Submit a travel declaration through the portal and arrive with proof of a qualifying negative COVID-19 test;
Follow the work plan that their employer filed with the State of Alaska; or
Receive a COVID-19 test upon arrival to Alaska and follow strict social distancing until results arrive.
Travelers may get an optional second COVID-19 test within 5-14 days after arrival.

This has changed. I received this email from AK DHHS yesterday March 15, 2021:

Hello,

Thank you for your email. Currently, Alaska has downgraded the Health Orders to Health Advisories. We highly recommend and encourage all travelers get a molecular-based test prior to travel. Alaska does want to keep any COVID variants out of the state as well as keep actively infected asymptomatic travelers from spreading the virus in the state. With that being said, as a Health Advisory, the state cannot order you to test to enter the state. We hope our travelers will still take it upon themselves to test prior to travel, don’t travel if you test positive and complete a Travel Declaration Form. If you are unable to test prior to travel, Alaska has lifted the $250 test fee for testing upon arrival. This is now free for all travelers entering Alaska. Results usually take up to about 3 days and we ask people wear masks and socially distant while waiting for results.

Cheers,

Tanya Carlson

Bottom-line, no restrictions. The above being said the State Legislature could change everything, but I doubt it. I don't think Alaska residents want any more restrictions and the Legislature want to keep their jobs, but we will see.

Not sure yet. Normally we leave around the end of April. Weather and tides.

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if...oops, never mind. All I want to know is how long I have to wait until I can deeply inhale the wood fireplace and food smell at Glacier Brewhouse and order the alder grilled salmon and a bourbon flight.

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if...oops, never mind. All I want to know is how long I have to wait until I can deeply inhale the wood fireplace and food smell at Glacier Brewhouse and order the alder grilled salmon and a bourbon flight.
Oh the Glacier Brewhouse!! Yum yum. I'm with you kthoennes....

Keep the thread current, I have a friend in a new (to him) NT42 attempting to transit this spring. It's looking encouraging, he has asked me to do the trip with him since I have done it a couple of times already but I would rather be on my own boat in PWS than down there given a choice.

I would be happy to do the Gulf stretch with him since there are 24 hour watches to stand and no good ports except Yakutat, and he has plenty of range to skip that if the weather is good.

I am advising him based on the conversation on this thread :) Of course the open water side of the IP would be the least favorable route.

6 times-NICE
But a little surprised you did not buddy boat with Crusty for a new adventure since you went part way.

Oh no way!! He turned left at the Columbia Bar, I turned right. He is currently in Costa Rica in the heat and humidity. After 20Knm on this trip, he is tired and is having a hard time. When he gets to the Gulf side of the canal, he has hired a cap't to take Pairadice to Fort Lauderdale.

Nope too many places in B.C. and Alaska to explore.

Funny thing I have been up there enough, a lot of places are familiar and I don't need a chart.:eek:

Oh no way!! He turned left at the Columbia Bar, I turned right. He is currently in Costa Rica in the heat and humidity. After 20Knm on this trip, he is tired and is having a hard time. When he gets to the Gulf side of the canal, he has hired a cap't to take Pairadice to Fort Lauderdale.

Nope too many places in B.C. and Alaska to explore.

Funny thing I have been up there enough, a lot of places are familiar and I don't need a chart.:eek:

:) chart? you mean one of them maps on the depth sounder? :D

I figured that is why you did not go that southern trip, I can only imagine the heat/humidity after just a summer up here.

:) chart? you mean one of them maps on the depth sounder? :D

I figured that is why you did not go that southern trip, I can only imagine the heat/humidity after just a summer up here.

I have some paper too.

Yeah John and Tracey have about had it. Funny as they are both from Las Vegas. No air on Pairadice so that's even worse. But it was his bucket list.

Back
Top Bottom