Thanks NZ & Canada Fireies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
Mr. BK. Wishing you and your countrymen the best outcome in these fiery times. Being so far removed from your plight, the maelstrom is infrequently mentioned in the mainstream media here.

On another note. A request was put out to boat owners to offer their boats for a day on the water in Sydney or the Pittwater, for firies and their families in March and so far over 300 boats have been offered.
We are registered and waiting to hear if we have been allocated a family. Looking forward to being able to say thankyou in a small way for the amazing efforts of these men and women and thanks to their families as well.

On another note. A request was put out to boat owners to offer their boats for a day on the water in Sydney or the Pittwater, for firies and their families in March and so far over 300 boats have been offered.
We are registered and waiting to hear if we have been allocated a family. Looking forward to being able to say thankyou in a small way for the amazing efforts of these men and women and thanks to their families as well.
Good on you for becoming involved. I know that the firies and their families will appreciate it, and well deserved. :thumb:
Hopefully the recovery will be coming soon.
Tom

I can report it is, as we say, if you will forgive the phrase, "pissing down" on the east coast of Australia due to an east coast low pressure system. It will certainly put out the more coastal fires, and may move inland enough to help there as well as maybe break possibly our worst ever drought. We had about 100mm/4 inches overnight, and similar rain is forecast for the next 2-3 days. As well as flooding, local and more generalized, including the river where we are berthed. Even the poorly located water catchment dam areas are getting rain. My 5000L rainwater tanks are overflowing, I`m monitoring our stormwater drains. Instead of watching grass and trees and shrubs dying, and daily refilling the bird bath to help our feathered friends clustered around it in 40C dry heat.

Australia was ever, as poet Dorothea Mackellar wrote "a land of droughts and flooding rains".

Greetings,
Mr. BK. It's OK. It pisses down rain here as well. Let's hope it keeps up some to ease the drought and cool the fires.

Greetings,
Mr. BK. It's OK. It pisses down rain here as well. Let's hope it keeps up some to ease the drought and cool the fires.
I looked(unsuccessfully) for the 2 Ronnies rhyming weather report sketch which after covering rainfall elsewhere, ends with "and if you live in Lissingdown, best take an umbrella".

Massive rain band along east coast continues, 100-170mm(4"-7") predicted in Sydney today,I`d guess the upper end,or more. Areas which were burned are getting flooded. The NSW south coast "Currowan Fire", which burnt nearly 500,000 hectares (hectare = 2.47 acres),300 houses, and killed 3, is extinguished. As are some but not all others.
Hoping the drought is broken, it`s the best rain since 2011/2012 in some places and the only way to permanently put out fires. We just need it to extend further inland, then we can close the door on the fires and concentrate on rehabilitation.

Last edited:
We are so happy to hear the news of rain and improving conditions. Bless all that have been affected!

2 thums up.jpg

This weekend Royal Caribbean Line is treating firefighters and families to a 4 day cruise. Well done! ( Might be some excess cruise ship capacity at present).
Investigations into the crash of the Coulson C130 revealed the cockpit voice recorder held only an earlier 2019 conversation of a flight outside Australia. Not 100% clear on this but it seems there was no flight recorder fitted. Reading between the lines, it crashed just after releasing it`s retardant load, while still low and in an area of fire related turbulence.

I am glad to hear that things have improved over there. Something doesn't seem quite right with the plane crash (no recorder?).
That is a great offer for the firefighters, but unless the ship(s) are guaranteed about being able to come back to port and off load, I don't think I would want to take them up on it right now. Just me :)

I am glad to hear that things have improved over there. Something doesn't seem quite right with the plane crash (no recorder?).
That is a great offer for the firefighters, but unless the ship(s) are guaranteed about being able to come back to port and off load, I don't think I would want to take them up on it right now. Just me :)
A 4 day cruise typically does not dock anywhere and I expect the pax were well vetted at embarkation. But risk is definitely present. Those people have been through some horrors,I hope they don`t get added to, they deserve a break.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom