So... What are you drinking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA, 'cause that's what was in the fridge. Plus it's delicious.

Corona :hide:
been drinking it long before the trendy commercials

I used to drink that in Hawaii in the 80's because the coast guard cutters would run down to Mexico and bring it back duty free and sell it in their exchange. $6.00 a case if I remember right.

I drank it because I was broke.

Favorite Beer

My # 1 favorite beer is free. My second favorite beer is cold. :)

Johnny Walker Black is just too smooth to pass up, but isn't a great thirst quencher. In that case it is homemade Margaritas made with Hornitos.

Kevin
Portland, OR

A creamy and delicious Saranac Root Beer, cuz I'm a total party aminal.

I'm a diet IBC root beer girl. It' good. Every once in a while (two or three times a year) I'll buy a six-pack or two and drink them. Mostly because they are expensive and heavy to carry home if the grocery store is far, I don't indulge.

I'd rather have orange juice or grape or cranberry in those little plastic bottles -- the single serving size. Those are more refreshing when it's hot out.

Sangria is a favorite... I'm not a sophisticated drinker. I am more interested in taste than effect.

Down in south FL I used to have lunch at a restaurant in the mall because they made a good pina colada. I don't know that I've had one of them for decades. It's just not a priority.

Root beer is the only beer I like.

CheapWhiskey.jpg

I just opened up a bottle of my homebrew "Hop Diggity" recipe. A wonderfully aromatic IPA. It is spectacular. Self praise is no praise. Recipe available upon request.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA, 'cause that's what was in the fridge. Plus it's delicious.

I just opened up a bottle of my homebrew "Hop Diggity" recipe. A wonderfully aromatic IPA. It is spectacular. Self praise is no praise. Recipe available upon request.

Since you guys like hoppy IPAs like I do, I gotta tell you about a new favorite from Sierra Nevada. I'm a big fan of SN brews, especially the Torpedo Extra IPA. They now have a new IPA made with distilled hop oil called Hop Hunter IPA. My local grocery stores carry it. It's a great tasting IPA with less ABV than the Torpedos! (6.2% vs. 7.2%)

Gotta love a beer that bites back!!

ipasierranevada-848x640.jpg

Since you guys like hoppy IPAs like I do, I gotta tell you about a new favorite from Sierra Nevada. I'm a big fan of SN brews, especially the Torpedo Extra IPA.

I brought three "torpedoes" aboard the Mahalo Moi recently (Mildred Island). There were two still aboard (I didn't consume any) when we departed. Make sure you get your share!

Hop Diggity Recipe

Stats:

Target Original Gravity: 1.066
Target Final Gravity: 1.015-1.020
94 IBUs
Recipe:

Mash at 146-148 degrees Fahrenheit for 60 minutes
Collect 6-6.5 gallons of wort so that you end up with 5 gallons after boiling
Prime with 4 oz of table sugar when bottling.

Grain:

10 lbs Maris Otter Malt
2 lbs Vienna Malt
1 lb Crystal Malt (20L)
Hops Schedule (All times are time until the boil ends, i.e. the 60 minute addition is done when you still have 60 minutes of boil time to go. Hops are pellets unless otherwise noted.):

1.5 oz Centennial - 60 minutes
0.5 oz Centennial - 30 minutes
0.5 oz Cascade - 10 minutes
0.5 oz Amarillo - 10 minutes
0.25 oz Cascade - Flameout (aka 0 minutes)
1 oz Whole Flower Chinook - Flameout
1.25 oz Cascade - Dry Hops - 1 week of contact time
Yeast:

WLP 001 California Ale
Review

Appearance: A hazy orange body in the light, this beer is a murky burnt sienna/rust color without direct illumination. It's got a cream to off-white head that is big and clingy! A few minutes after pouring it's still going quite strong. It started at four fingers, and now it's down to one and doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

Smell: Hops. Tons of grapefruit and pineapple up front. There isn't much malt in the aroma, just hops. It's fairly dry smelling and you really can't smell the 6.5% abv at all.

Taste: Now this is the most important part of any beer, especially homebrew. Your friends will put up with an ugly beer that doesn't smell like much if it's delicious. And this one is! Up front there's a ton of bitterness with the Maris Otter malt there just enough to hold it together. There's just enough breadiness to give the hops a great canvas to display on. After a second in your mouth, this beer really shines (and it was good right away). There's tons of hop flavor, a lot of citrus from the American hops. There's pineapple from the Amarillo and grapefruit from the Chinook with the general citrusyness of Cascade rounding the whole thing out. The hops lend this beer a juicy quality, and it's just a great flavor to go on top of a mild sweetness from the malt. It ends on a fruity citrus hop note then, after you swallow, the bitterness persists for a few minutes. You can bet we'll make this one again!

I brought three "torpedoes" aboard the Mahalo Moi recently (Mildred Island). There were two still aboard (I didn't consume any) when we departed. Make sure you get your share!

Thanks, Mark! Don't tell Giggitoni.

...not so sure they're still there... But now I know who to thank. Thanks, Mark.

Grand Hurricane:

1 part pineapple juice
2 parts orange juice
1 part Spiced Rum (higher the proof, the better)
1 part Triple Sec or Orange liquor
add a little Grenadine for color
add a little Coconut Rum for flavoring
mix and pour over plenty of ice

All I can say isI have a lot of catching up to do!!!
"Up Ya Kilt"
Capstan

What are we drinking now? Mark's Torpedoes!! Found them on Giggitoni's boat!

Thanks, Mark Pierce!!

img_352038_0_6967338af30861cd914b3936c4332fc9.jpg

You guys made me do it! So now it's Aprils Margaritas!

Attachments

• IMG_2132.JPG
    IMG_2132.JPG
    172 KB · Views: 92
My 97-year-old Dad (former B-17 co-pilot and parachuting to be a POW) likes box wines. Hopefully, he'll appreciate Vern's St. Jorge version. We're all in good spirits after watching Mary Poppins at Cabrillo College yesterday and enjoying a restaurant meal on Dad's coin:

Last edited:
Just realized I'm back to the thread starter beer.

ForumRunner_20160120_235251.jpg

Good stuff, this Hoppin' Cretin IPA.
On the boat in a bit of a blow this time. Safely tied up in my slip.

I'm the heretic this morning... drinking hot tea, my version of Earl Grey that is lots less expensive than the brand name. Details on how to make your own, plus Constant Comment too in this article: http://janice142.com/Articles/DIYBigelowTea.html

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Natty Boh!

After 3 or 4, they actually start to taste good.

Attachments

• natty_boh.png
    natty_boh.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 110
Natty Boh!

After 3 or 4, they actually start to taste good.

Natty Boh has made quite a comeback in the Baltimore area in the last two years. Many places have it on tap. It's still a lousy beer but miles better than the the beer masquerading as beer called Budweiser.

Since you guys like hoppy IPAs like I do, I gotta tell you about a new favorite from Sierra Nevada. I'm a big fan of SN brews, especially the Torpedo Extra IPA. They now have a new IPA made with distilled hop oil called Hop Hunter IPA. My local grocery stores carry it. It's a great tasting IPA with less ABV than the Torpedos! (6.2% vs. 7.2%)

Gotta love a beer that bites back!!

ipasierranevada-848x640.jpg

American craft brewers make quality lagers and ales but I just don't understand their fixation with tons of hops. Yes, I see see having a hoppy offering but so many craft brewers offer just big, hoppy ales with maybe a milder ale for the "wimps". IMHO, a good beer has balance, sweetness balanced by more hops for example. In food cooking if one were to use tons of garlic in a dish, the other flavors and the food itself would be overwhelmed. That is how I find most American beers. To my taste, virtually any German beer is a better choice. I find hem to be universally well-balanced some of which are on the bitter (hoppy) side. Give me a German or Belgian beer any day. To those IPA fans try a Ballantine India Pale Ale. The Ballantine offering has been around for decades and may be the original American-made IPA. It is highly hopped, high in alcohol and has a solid oak flavor, as any IPA should have. Be careful.

I'm not drinking it now but I wish I were - a black as coal beer called 10° Below from Scuttlebutt Brewing in Everett, Washington. They did a special run in cedar barrels, faint notes of hamster cage the cedar was so strong, but very interesting and a good note in a porter. It was excellent but I can't get it here in SoDak. If I had known I would have bought some in Everett and risked flying it home in my checked luggage.

Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin IPA

I'm not a fan of beers with fruit in them, but someone convinced me to try Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin IPA at a bar last year. It was delicious, refreshing, not fruity at all, and satisfyingly hoppy. It was the best beer I had in 2015. On tap... I bought a few bottles at the store ($$$) and it wasn't as good.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom