Service

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sugardog

How many were in the USN or Coast Guard, where and when? Thought this might be interesting.

I’ll start. USN, BM2, last duty station USS Tallahatchie Med and North Atlantic, home port, Naples, Italy.

Navy USS Cadmus AR14, commissioning plank owner USS JFK CVA67, Rodman CZ

USS Taluga , AO62, MM2, Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club.

Naval Aviator; active duty 1971-78 Hawaii, S.E. Asia (operating around, not over, Vietnam)

USN, 1967 to 1973, & part of 1975, destroyers, PBRs tug, and other navy small craft. Vietnam.

1972-1976, Naval Aviation

1964-1969 Naval Aviator , happily only time on a boat was bouncing in training.

Not in the Navy, but 1985-1990 was a civilian overhauling submarine reactor plants in Chas, SC. Pops was a USN carrier pilot.

Naval Aviator; active duty 1971-78 Hawaii, S.E. Asia (operating around, not over, Vietnam)

They called me Skyking in high school, took every flight test as soon as I was eligible on my birthdays. Couldn’t pass Army WO eye test to get n to rotor school, said screw em and became a Bos'n in the Navy.

USN 64 - 84 started off at Litchfield Park, Phoenix AZ, then to China Lake, got into A-6's spent the next 16yrs in and out of Whidbey Is.

Naval Aviation Mustang 1967 - 1994. East and West coast. (mostly West)

Army 1984-2013, with my last duty station at Guantanamo Bay Naval Station, Cuba for two years. I relished every minute working with our brothers and sisters from all of the services. I learned so much about the service cultures; silent professionals, BZ, hoorah, copy that, roger, etc... this was the most rewarding end of career tour - does that count?

Jim

Last edited:
Army 1984-2013, with my last duty station at Guantanamo Bay Naval Station, Cuba for two years. I relished every minute working with our brothers and sisters from all of the services. I learned so much about the service cultures; silent professionals, BZ, hoorah, copy that, roger, etc... this was the most rewarding end of career tour - does that count?

Jim

Jim yes it counts and Thank You for your service!! I was not in the navy or CG but I also served (btw a short time at Gitmo in the late 80s)

US Army 6/71 thru 5/78, helicopter weapons repair. APG Md, Ft Knox Ky, Illesheim FRG, Ft Campbell Ky.

I watched the Army/Navy game on TV once. :)

Navy, 1965 through 1969. USS Bristol DD 857,Brooklyn Navy Yard, USS Bushnell AS 15 Key West, USS Pandemus ARL 18, Charleston.

Navy 1959-63 AMH2...Maiden cruise on USS Enterprise...helicopter crew...rescue swimmer

Attachments

• CVN 65.jpg
    CVN 65.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 90
  • Rescue.jpg
    Rescue.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 93
Not Navy or CG but USMC, 2002-2005, MOS 0351 Infantry Anti-Tank Assaultman (E-4/Corporal) with Charlie Co 1st Battalion 7th Marines. Stationed in 29 Palms CA with a tour of duty in Iraq. I never stepped foot on a boat in the service so I like to think I'm making up for the lost time by boating now.

Usn em1/ss 1974-1980 uss sunfish ssn 649

It doesn't matter what I do to this post. It keep killing my CAPS

Huh, a lot of aviators, slightly surprising. I left out other branches because I was curious about my branch, but all are welcome to comment. I’ve been on or near the water my entire life. My dad worked on the St Lawrence Seaway when I was little, teenage years within spitting distance of the Hudson, navy, cruised the entire east coast in a 20’ Thunderbird and a 31’ Irwin, lived on a 40’ Shucker in Key West, worked in boat yards, owned a company that built custom 34’ fishing boats, partner in a company that rigged some of the fastest offshore race boats. And I’m a Pisces, go figure.

Draft #42 in 1972, but was never called. My Dad was Army Air Corp in WW2.
Thank you all for your service:thumb: Now, I've got to get to church!

Navy

US Navy Aviation 1969 - 1976 , VP-48, VS-41, Vietnam.

Navy 1973-1977, two WestPac cruises on the USS Oriskany, finished out on a submarine rescue and diving ship the (USS Florikan) off 32nd Street

Back
Top Bottom