Science help ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FF

Guru
Saw an interesting show on TV where a plastic bottle of water was cooled to below 32F and it stayed liquid.

The bottle was slammed onto a table and the water went solid instantly!

Does this have a name so I can look up what causes this,, and perhaps use it in a project?

TIA

Super cooling or under cooling I believe is the scientific term. I'm guessing the water is distilled, DI or super filtered as freezing is enhanced by small particles as a nuclei.
I also believe it is the same case at condensing... when changing from vapor to liquid as in formation of fog or rain.

It may be adding some air. I have accidentally left cans of beer in the freezer too long when trying to cool them quickly. When I take them out I can feel that the beer is still liquid. Great! Then when I pop the top the beer immediately freezes.

Water (not water with anti-freeze or salt or other impurity) freezes at 32 F, but only at standard atmospheric pressure. Put it under pressure and the freezing point will drop, so the temperature can be brought well below 32 without the water turning to ice. Relieve the pressure (quickly) and at least some of the water will instantly turn to ice (the rest of the water will be at 32 degrees, but not frozen.

"Water (not water with anti-freeze or salt or other impurity) freezes at 32 F, but only at standard atmospheric pressure. Put it under pressure and the freezing point will drop, so the temperature can be brought well below 32 without the water turning to ice. Relieve the pressure (quickly) and at least some of the water will instantly turn to ice (the rest of the water will be at 32 degrees, but not frozen."

Does that mean I could build a euitetic plate that could pressurize to 60? 100psi?and then release the pressure and the fluid would instantly change to frozen?

The beer experience might show that some impurities may not harm the state change from liquid to solid.

My goal is an inexpensive eutetic reefer that would only take 15 min of power to obtain 24+ hours of cold.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom