Old 07-27-2018, 05:12 PM   #21
Guru

City: Ashland, MA
Vessel Model: 1990 Silverton 40 aftcabin
Sales tax is an important consideration for me whenever I make an online purchase.......and I do not care if the tax is even less than a buck! I just resent giving the governing communities/state additional cash to spend and spend they will. They even spend when they don’t have the needed cash.

Beside sales tax and property taxes, Rhode Island bangs use with HUGE water and sewer bills! It costs our small company > $100/month/apartment for water and sewer. And yes, those utilities all seem to be able to afford new cars and trucks for their employees.....oh, and great salaries and pensions.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 06:11 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Most if not all states with "sales " taxes (retail occupation tax) have a corresponding tax called a "use" tax for items shipped into the state which is supposed to be reported by the customer.

The whole issue on the recent Supreme Court case is forcing the out of state seller to collect the tax at the time of sale and reporting and paying the tax to the tax district in which the customer is located.

In general paying the tax based on the customer's location would allow companies to set up "offices" in low tax districts and then reship to their various other locations. This is currently being done with respect to airline fuel in Illinois where the airlines have negotiated special tax rates from one taxing district. In that case 1% of a couple of hundred million dollars is a major difference.

Another example of the complexity of the issue is the shopping mall. If where the item is delivered determines the tax then cities such as Oakbook Illinois (population 8,000) would suffer as its revenue comes from the sales tax at a major mall in the town. Delivery of items to the home are substantial and the tax would then go to the neighboring town. Illinois is an example of a state which allows local districts to add substantial taxes to the base state rate, thus in Illinois you can pay 10.25% or 6% depending on where the store is located.

This is an extremely complicated area that has been fought over for years. My thoughts are that it is too complicated to be administered by the courts and should be left to the legislatures.
Old 07-29-2018, 11:51 AM   #23
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
Here is an example of the haphazard collection of sales taxes for online sales.

Yesterday I ordered something from Amazon. As is often the case, they suggested that if I bought item A, I might also want item B to go with it. I said sure and ordered both items.

Both items were ordered together through Amazon at the same time as one purchase. However, when looking at the order invoice I found that sales tax was only charged on one of the items and not the other. In fact, the lowest priced item was the only thing taxed.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 12:19 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol View Post
Here is an example of the haphazard collection of sales taxes for online sales.

Yesterday I ordered something from Amazon. As is often the case, they suggested that if I bought item A, I might also want item B to go with it. I said sure and ordered both items.

Both items were ordered together through Amazon at the same time as one purchase. However, when looking at the order invoice I found that sales tax was only charged on one of the items and not the other. In fact, the lowest priced item was the only thing taxed.
Amazon collects sale tax on items it sells and ships. It generally does not collect sales tax on items sold through Amazon by others.