RIP Mr. Bond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Worst. Year. Ever.

A favourite Bond line:

James Bond:
I tend to notice little things like that... whether a girl's a red-head or a blonde.

Tiffany Case:
And which do you prefer?

James Bond:
Oh, either, provided the collars match the cuffs.

90 years is a a good innings.

One of my favourite actors. Who else could play a Russian submarine captain,well Lithuanian, in a broad scottish accent. Or an irish american policeman in a scottish accent, not to mention a certain english spy in a scottish accent. No one could do a scottish accent like Connery.

I wonder if god has a broad scottish accent.

There was only one 007, you had a good run Mr. Bond, thank you.

CDA621-A6-DBE1-4-B0-C-8-D53-3648-A56-B125-C.jpg

I very much liked Sean Connery as an actor, but preferred Rodger Moore as Bond. In a series such as that, the first one is the mark that the others others are compared to. Moore redefined the character and made it his own with great success.

RIP

Ted

A favourite Bond line:

James Bond:
I tend to notice little things like that... whether a girl's a red-head or a blonde.

Tiffany Case:
And which do you prefer?

James Bond:
Oh, either, provided the collars match the cuffs.

90 years is a a good innings.

One of my favourite actors. Who else could play a Russian submarine captain,well Lithuanian, in a broad scottish accent. Or an irish american policeman in a scottish accent, not to mention a certain english spy in a scottish accent. No one could do a scottish accent like Connery.

I wonder if god has a broad scottish accent.

I have read that - though initially doubtful - Ian Fleming came around to Connery playing 007 in Dr. No and he subsequently wrote a Scottish backstory for the character into his following novels. Before that the character was purely English.

There are some forgotten movies from his early career. One I enjoy is: Darby O'Gill and the Little People!

Last edited:
"... and the sea will grant each man new hope, as sleep brings dreams of home."

--Captain Marko Ramius, quoting Christopher Columbus.

I'll always remember him in Zardoz
The gun is good - the penis is evil.

images

I'll always remember him in Zardoz
The gun is good - the penis is evil.

images

Good gracious, I had completely repressed the memory of that film until now.

"You know what kind of movie you’re getting into right away when you’ve got flying stone heads saying things like “The gun is good. The penis is evil.” Actually wait. You have no idea what kind of movie you’re getting into with lines like this, because there is no example of a movie like Zardoz before or since. It’s like in its own phylum of movie type or something. Like a platypus."

I remember Dad brought us to the theater to see Darby OGill when we were little. Gave me nightmares. Very disturbing, should have been rated PG 13 or whatever. (I see it came out in 1959 but I wasn't born yet, so it must have been a re-release in the early 70's.)

It was said his favorite role and mine was in The Man Who Would Be King.

Greetings,
I was going to mention Zardoz but didn't know how to describe it tastefully...Um...
When it came out we thought it was very obviously social commentary, in line with 'The Planet of the Apes'.
Perhaps not as brilliant as John Boorman's other great films but at least amusing. ;)

You might like the fictional misogynistic Bond character but Sean C. was a real-life misogynist and IMO, a jerk. Have a look:

You might like the fictional misogynistic Bond character but Sean C. was a real-life misogynist and IMO, a jerk. Have a look:

https://www.youtub You certainly have thread killing down pat. Good work!

I just follow the sage advice to not speak ill of the dead. In which case best not to speak at all.

But glad you were able to get that off your chest.

Your opinion means jack, your just part of the softness that permeates America...the same softness that brings down nations. IMO

Connery trivia:

In 1958, Lana Turner's daughter knifed, fatally, her mother's boyfriend, a mob enforcer named Johnny Stompanato, who was allegedly beating her mom at the time. It was suspected that Turner had actually offed him but the 15-year-old took the fall because public sympathy would aid her defense, which is how it played in the end.

Turner's "offense" was that she was seeing a young actor on the side. At the time, the mystery man remained unidentified...you guessed it, Sean Connery.

Johnny Stompanato? Now there's a perfect Soprano character's name if I ever heard one. Of course he needs a shortened nickname, like Johnny Stomp. Great story.

Johnny Stompanato? Now there's a perfect Soprano character's name if I ever heard one. Of course he needs a shortened nickname, like Johnny Stomp. Great story.

Johnny Stomp, indeed:

Attachments

• stomp.jpg
    stomp.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom